Why the locking of threads?

News, announcements and discussions about Weight Weenies. (members, please do not start topics in here.)

Moderator: maxim809

Flasher
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:10 pm

by Flasher

I thought that this was a discussion forum, isn't it possible just to delete the off topic/argumentative comments, those posters would then surely get the message and if not get a red card?

Of course I don't want to read some of the nonsense that gets posted either but to shut down debate can't be the purpose of what WW was set up for.

Marin
Posts: 4020
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

And I thought this was someone from France asking about Loctite

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 3178
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

The last thread I locked was another rim brake vs disc thread which is the bicycle equivalent of debating religion or politics. If I lock a thread, it's already a sh*tshow and it's a lot more expedient, and frankly, just easier to shut it down.

Going through a thread and trying to identify the bad parties can take quite a long time. All of us that are moderating are doing this for *free* as volunteers and all of us have quite busy real lives so I frankly don't want to spend the spare few minutes I have to go through and try to clean up a thread that is going to be hopeless anyway.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

ViperFFM
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 am
Location: Frankfurt am Main,DE

by ViperFFM

Mostly its due to TobinHatesYou proviking discussion that dont have to do anyhting with the actual topic. Would wish for baninng people instead of banning topics.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

spdntrxi
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

^ I disagree
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

MikeD
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

I'm seeing threads being locked because the moderator doesn't like the topic, even though the topic is cycling related and people are being civil to each other.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

Lock this thread!
It's off topic!
Ban Everything! Emulate the Chinese Communist Party!

Maddie
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 am

by Maddie

I disagree too. Can't remember thy ever starting a thread about a topic that has been discussed to death. He may have a strong opinion that rim lovers don't like but I don't have the feeling that he is the one that starts people calling names. That's coming from the other side

MikeD
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

Maddie wrote:I disagree too. Can't remember thy ever starting a thread about a topic that has been discussed to death. He may have a strong opinion that rim lovers don't like but I don't have the feeling that he is the one that starts people calling names. That's coming from the other side
Everything on this forum has been discussed one time or another. Might as well shut the whole thing down with this line of reasoning.

User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 3978
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

by ms6073

RyanH wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:39 pm
The last thread I locked was another rim brake vs disc thread which is the bicycle equivalent of debating religion or politics.
Porthos You know, it strikes me that we would be better employed wringing Milady's pretty neck than shooting these poor devils of Protestants. I mean, what are we killing them for? Because they sing psalms in French and we sing them in Latin?

Aramis: Porthos, have you no education? What do you think religious wars are all about?
- Michael
"Solving problems you didn't know you had in ways you probably won't understand"

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 3178
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

MikeD wrote:I'm seeing threads being locked because the moderator doesn't like the topic, even though the topic is cycling related and people are being civil to each other.
Example?
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

User avatar
ryanw
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 pm
Location: London

by ryanw

You're all welcome to leave if you don't like the way the mods run the forum.

Personally, I miss the old days when this place was an absolute font of WW knowledge, not a bunch of plonkers starting click bait threads to discuss (argue about) absolutely ridiculous topics.
'22 SL7 S-Works - 6.22kg
'22 Crux S-Works - 6.64kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

MikeD
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

RyanH wrote:
MikeD wrote:I'm seeing threads being locked because the moderator doesn't like the topic, even though the topic is cycling related and people are being civil to each other.
Example?
"Shimano phases out mechanical shifting..."

MikeD
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

ryanw wrote:You're all welcome to leave if you don't like the way the mods run the forum.
To quote Rodney Dangerfield "Who made you Pope of this dump?"

User avatar
robbosmans
Moderator
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Central Belgium
Contact:

by robbosmans

MikeD wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:55 pm
RyanH wrote:
MikeD wrote:I'm seeing threads being locked because the moderator doesn't like the topic, even though the topic is cycling related and people are being civil to each other.
Example?
"Shimano phases out mechanical shifting..."
I locked that thread because it got reported, I looked through the posts and confirmed the thread was going nowhere. EDIT: After another look at the thread its now open again, I might have been a bit too fast locking that one, the title will get changed though.

I am always open to conversation about locking a thread, just shoot me a private message or email.

Disc/rim threads always spiral into one big mess, that's why these threads get locked earlier than other threads.

I hope you understand now.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply