Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gwerziou

by gwerziou

rothwem wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Kids, this is is your brain on marketing materials.

I mean, the Crux seems to be updated exactly how I wanted it to be updated, but if the price is crazy, no amount of decommoditization is going to get me to not cross shop other bikes for a better value.
Agreed. If the S-Works frameset is $5K, then for less money you can get a custom layup and semi-cuistom geometry frameset from Pursuit that includes chris king bb and headset and your choice of paint or finish, ti T47 bottom bracket insert and ti dropouts... hard to compete with that - if the price for a corporate product is in the same ballpark. If a tiny company like Pursuit is offering all of that for the same price range it seems that Specialized might just be price gouging, a wee bit?
Last edited by gwerziou on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwerziou

by gwerziou

double post oops
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

DrimeOser wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Of course, if you have multiple bikes that you like to happily switch wheelsets from one to another on a regular base, that is a problem. But, who does that?
I do. I have a couple wheelsets that I'll switch between a few bikes depending on the ride. Some mid-depth 30mm that I'll put on the gravel bike or CX bike, as well as the road bike with bigger tires in the winter.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BananaBike

by BananaBike

niklasp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:08 pm
Wait for the Crux. Plenty of bikes and frames already available to order...
Thinking about price though, I doubt you will be able to get a smiliarly spec'd bike from specialized for $5k, which is the price of the SuperSix Evo. I know it's force and not rival, but you dont get ETap on a Diverge unless you spend $7.5k

nateners

by nateners

BananaBike wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:25 pm
niklasp wrote:
Thinking about price though, I doubt you will be able to get a smiliarly spec'd bike from specialized for $5k, which is the price of the SuperSix Evo. I know it's force and not rival, but you dont get ETap on a Diverge unless you spend $7.5k
From trainerroad:
"3 levels, $8k for the pro model with Force AXS XPLR and Terra CL wheels, $6k for the expert model with Rival AXS XPLR and Terra C wheels, and $4,200 for the Comp model with Rival mecahnical and Dt swiss aluminum wheels."

Based on current price increases I'd pressume the Sworks frameset will be ~$5,500 USD and the Specialized frameset will be ~$3200 USD.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

nateners wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 pm
BananaBike wrote:
niklasp wrote:
From trainerroad:
"3 levels, $8k for the pro model with Force AXS XPLR and Terra CL wheels, $6k for the expert model with Rival AXS XPLR and Terra C wheels, and $4,200 for the Comp model with Rival mecahnical and Dt swiss aluminum wheels."

Based on current price increases I'd pressume the Sworks frameset will be ~$5,500 USD and the Specialized frameset will be ~$3200 USD.
The pricing is crazy if that ends up being true. More than double the cost for an S-Works frameset from last year ($2700).
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

nateners

by nateners

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 pm
nateners wrote:
BananaBike wrote:
niklasp wrote:
From trainerroad:

The pricing is crazy if that ends up being true. More than double the cost for an S-Works frameset from last year ($2700).
It does seem absurd, BUT if you don't care about the S-Works logo and the marginal weight difference then the Speciazlized frameset seems like a pretty solid upgrade from the previous $2700 S-Works frameset.

2022 Specialized CruX Frameset
- 75 grams lighter than previous S-Works
- standard seatpost clamp
- threaded BB

To me that is worth the $500 price increase. But to your original point it makes the S-Works at $5,500 even more INSANE.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

nateners wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 pm
nateners wrote:
BananaBike wrote:

From trainerroad:

It does seem absurd, BUT if you don't care about the S-Works logo and the marginal weight difference then the Speciazlized frameset seems like a pretty solid upgrade from the previous $2700 S-Works frameset.

2022 Specialized CruX Frameset
- 75 grams lighter than previous S-Works
- standard seatpost clamp
- threaded BB

To me that is worth the $500 price increase. But to your original point it makes the S-Works at $5,500 even more INSANE.
Yea, it really just depends on how much you're willing to pay for 100g lighter (quoted from TR, 725g for S-Works and 825g for Pro). Probably around 100g heavier than the equivalent Aethos, and still lighter than most road frames.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

flyordie

by flyordie

Buying an S-Works is never something that makes sense. You can save the 100g cheaper somewhere else and also they probably don't matter (I know this is Weightweenies... ;-) )

For Crux eating Aethos' lunch: I think the switching wheels is still an edge case. It's easy in theory but a pain in reality (IMO). You basically need identical hubs so you don't have to re-adjust the shifting and brakes everytime. And you also need to make sure you have similar wear on rotos and drive train. I think most people will still buy both if they can.

takolino

by takolino

They've probably done price elasticity testing. How much would you pay for 100g, 200g, 300g less frame weight? They also probably have acumulated enough data from selling both versions of Aethos. While they may canibalize themselves a bit, what they could gain is market share in gravel/cx with higher margins. They probably ran various scenarios and may not care as long as they are winning against the other brands. Their R&D on Ai based design worked? Even the Pro version is lighter and less money than the current lightweights like UPPER and Aspero 5. It seems they have a significant weight advantage against all gravel frames. Am I giving them too much credit? Maybe. I like my 2018 Crux Elite, had my eyes on an UPPER but now going to wait.

niklasp

by niklasp

No One pays retail for a S-WORKS frameset. S-WORKS means the highest margins in the Specialized range. The newly increased prices have made many people buy not S-WORKS from previous years. They are too expensive and you will never get money back when selling (if you bought the bike self cost price maybe...).
The supersix Evo se is equipped with force, but not threaded BB, the joke friendly ai offset (only for the Cannondale nerds?) So in my opinion a rival crux is better.
You get crap wheels and stuff on them both. Wheels worthy a 2k bike.

Anyway... Waiting to get price on a crux non S-WORKS frame, and complete bike 🤷😁

They kept tarmac SL6 when releasing sl7... Why not keeping the cyclocross Crux in the range? Frame moulds are paid...

Singular

by Singular

The new Crux looks like a sweet ride, but I'm a bit wary about a cross/gravel rig in such an ultralight package - I'd think twice about charging into a holeshot pileup on a thinwalled $5000 frameset. Would/will it have a downtube protector for rock strikes (for gravel racing duties)?

nateners

by nateners

Based on an earlier post the three Specialized frameset colors are:

Satin Dusty Blue/Ice Paypaya
Gloss Coral Lilac Fade/Carbon/Limestone/Paypaya/Grey/Black
Gloss Carbon/Smoke/ Grey Granite

Does anyone have any more info about which colorways will be specced on the Comp, Expert, and Pro?

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

niklasp wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:29 am

I suck at unloading pictures. Here is the geo data
Could you or someone else repost this? It’s no longer visible, and I never saw it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nateners

by nateners

andrewbn42 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:38 pm
niklasp wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:29 am

I suck at unloading pictures. Here is the geo data
Could you or someone else repost this? It’s no longer visible, and I never saw it