Ciamillo Brakes - Warning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm thinking Eurostar is an employee, associate, or even Ted himself.

I looked at that link and since it was dated in 2009, I suspected he never ever made it or even planned on doing it. Just another way to scam another group of individuals.

eurostar

by eurostar

Oh dear. So the sub was yet another broken promise. It's a positively Shakespearean tragedy.

Anyway, my Aliexpress parcel has landed! Now we wait for the customs malarkey.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bernard34

by bernard34

Failure issues + design stolen by chinese = Ciamillo death ? :(
I am sure Ciamillo will correct the issue, as they have multiple versions of zero gravity (1 per year almost), but be copied by chinese is not fair...

Attermann

by Attermann

I really don't think they copied, they are most likely the ones that produced the brakes in the first place.

eurostar

by eurostar

They can't be copies. It wouldn't make sense to copy something with almost no reputation and no sales.If they were copies Ted could get Aliexpress to take down the listing - they have to be seen to be against IP theft. The clone firms have all had to move to the likes of DHGate.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

eurostar wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:09 am
They can't be copies. It wouldn't make sense to copy something with almost no reputation and no sales.If they were copies Ted could get Aliexpress to take down the listing - they have to be seen to be against IP theft. The clone firms have all had to move to the likes of DHGate.
How do you know that? Ofcourse copies exists since it's the lightest rim brakes to date.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

eurostar

by eurostar

Come off it. Rim brakes are dying, a copy artist won't invest in tooling and production and stock of calipers which the market has pretty much ignored since two reviews three years ago. And who cares that they're the lightest? Just a few weirdos like us. Who buys knock off safety critical components for £150 when real DA9000 calipers are now half that?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

eurostar wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:30 am
Come off it. Rim brakes are dying, a copy artist won't invest in tooling and production and stock of calipers which the market has pretty much ignored since two reviews three years ago. And who cares that they're the lightest? Just a few weirdos like us. Who buys knock off safety critical components for £150 when real DA9000 calipers are now half that?
There are copies of many things. Maybe the tools were made 1,2 or 3 year ago. I don't say they are, but copies for sure isn't impossible.
Even so, there's a big market for old bikes. Just because there are OCD people buying new bikes as fast as a new thing is out, that isn't what is most common.
Lot's of people still argue for mechanical and lightweight. Buying small stuff for piss money is achievable. I see 99% of cyclist here ride bikes that are way older than mine.

I personally think those not inline with the late aero trend, will always look for weight reduction. You might have forgotten how worked in that old ideal is.
But for sure it's more common than a hick up for aero.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Coolcat

by Coolcat

Attermann wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:38 am
I really don't think they copied, they are most likely the ones that produced the brakes in the first place.
This.

bernard34

by bernard34

ISO standards exists for brakes or not ??

joejack951

by joejack951

bernard34 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:31 pm
ISO standards exists for brakes or not ??
ISO 4210-4 & -5

bernard34

by bernard34

You know if they pass ?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

There used to be a volume requirement on most of the ISO tests, so small builders didn't need to stump up thousands to prove their ~150 units a year were compliant.

RichCH

by RichCH

The brakes arrived today. 137g for the pair. Initial inspection is very favorable. There is no play in them the machining is of very high quality. Don't know when I'll get a chance to fit them, but I will be putting at least one of the pair on to test.

They came in basic packaging. Bubble wrapped in a jiffy bag.

Sorry for the dirty scales, I'd been making bread this morning, just before these arrived hence the light dusting of flour.
Last edited by RichCH on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

alistaird

by alistaird

RichCH wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:56 am
The brakes arrived today. 137g for the pair. Initial inspection is very favorable. There is no play in them the machining is of very high quality. Don't know when I'll get a chance to fit them, but I will be putting at least one of the pair on to test.

They came in basic packaging. Bubble wrapped in a jiffy bag.

Sorry for the dirty scales, I'd been making bread this morning, just before these arrived hence the light dusting of flour.
Miight just be me - but pictures not showing on Safari on my Mac...

A

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com