Virus And Riding.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Andrew69 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:11 am
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:02 am
Was quite an eye opener, and I suspect things will get a lot worse (there is a trend of younger people being *more* trusting of stuff they read online than crusty old people in their 40s and 50s).
I work with a guy who just turned 30 (Im 49) and he is normally a totally rational and seemingly sane individual, but as soon as we start talking about checking in to businesses (to assist in contact tracing), or wearing a mask, or how the Delta variant seems to be affecting your people just as much as older people, he turns into a conspiracy theorist of the craziest kind. Teels me how he wont get vaccinated (unproven and untested vaccine who's development was rushed...yet happily gave his 6 month old son a MMR vaccine), refuses to wear a mask unless he is denied entry into a premises and believes its all just an excuse for the government to trample on our rights
He's a nutter; avoid at all costs. Those infected with the conspiracy virus are bound to go off about left-wing control of our minds, all the while endangering everyone around them with a selfish disregard for public safety. I lost a friend/riding buddy to the virus - the conspiracy theory virus. He believes that covid is fake news despite his mother and brother-in-law being hospitalized with it. With the increased likelihood of contagion of the delta and newer variants, these mental cul-de-sac types are simply too big of a liabilty to include in my bike rides, or life in general. Some dumbo could endanger the lives of me or my family because of a strange, idiotic mixture of radicalized notions rumbling around in their cavernous heads. I'm guessing that as the pandemic continues the covid-deniers will eventually be eliminated by the virus. Darwin awards!
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Orbital

by Orbital

OnTheRivet wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:02 am
Was quite an eye opener, and I suspect things will get a lot worse (there is a trend of younger people being *more* trusting of stuff they read online than crusty old people in their 40s and 50s).
I work with a guy who just turned 30 (Im 49) and he is normally a totally rational and seemingly sane individual, but as soon as we start talking about checking in to businesses (to assist in contact tracing), or wearing a mask, or how the Delta variant seems to be affecting your people just as much as older people, he turns into a conspiracy theorist of the craziest kind. Teels me how he wont get vaccinated (unproven and untested vaccine who's development was rushed...yet happily gave his 6 month old son a MMR vaccine), refuses to wear a mask unless he is denied entry into a premises and believes its all just an excuse for the government to trample on our rights

He's not wrong. It amazes me how leftists can just gloss over things like forced medical procedures (Hello, Nuremburg code) vaccine passports (Medical apartheid) Reams of data that prove masks less than a N95 rating (which 99% of people are wearing) do absolutley nothing. Funny story I was in a restaraunt in Santa Cruz and had to wear a mask while standing in line right next to people who were allowed to be unmasked while sitting at a table, literally 2 feet away.. This is the absurdity we've arrived at. If you think masking is anything more than control/political theatre you are fooling yourself. I'm looking forward to the trials and incarceration of all the people responsible for this mess in a few years, so many "i told you so" 's in the coming years.
And yet as roadies we wear basically scull caps instead of full face helmets. But every little bit helps, amirite?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:00 pm

He's not wrong. It amazes me how leftists can just gloss over things like forced medical procedures (Hello, Nuremburg code) vaccine passports (Medical apartheid) Reams of data that prove masks less than a N95 rating (which 99% of people are wearing) do absolutley nothing. Funny story I was in a restaraunt in Santa Cruz and had to wear a mask while standing in line right next to people who were allowed to be unmasked while sitting at a table, literally 2 feet away.. This is the absurdity we've arrived at. If you think masking is anything more than control/political theatre you are fooling yourself. I'm looking forward to the trials and incarceration of all the people responsible for this mess in a few years, so many "i told you so" 's in the coming years.

Gosh.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:53 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:

Gosh.
Yup, a truly profound level of... I don't even know what to call it. Forced medical procedures? Nuremburg code? Medical apartheid? Any chance that forced medical procedure was a lobotomy? :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Good statistical analysis profile of the vaccine hesitant in the US by the Economist. Pretty much what you'd expect based on anecdotal reporting. More likely to be poor, uneducated, conservative. Also black Americans. LOL that all the affluent, educated conservatives have been vaccinated. Strongest correlating factor was Trump voter - there's a presidential legacy for ya. Problem with this is that it will be very hard to change and may have global implications. Fortunately the poor don't travel much - might be the saving grace for the US. Anti vax used to be California liberal hippie soccer moms who thought they knew better than doctors that you could treat any vaccine preventable disease with things like an onion poultice stuck to the side of your head. Not making this up.

I'm quite curious what the anti vaxers make of the fact that something like 98% of doctors have been vaccinated. I guess it's just like the soccer moms, they know better.

and I'll even quote from the profound musings of our own OnTheRivet:
OnTheRivet wrote:
This is the absurdity we've arrived at.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

OnTheRivet wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:

Err, no. When you speak, you sometimes spit out rather large particles. Liquid droplets. And they can travel up to a metre or so away. You can even see them with the naked eye sometimes. That's what pretty much any mask wearing prevents. So it's you that is wrong.

Even so, if people go around wearing a gas mask, then people like you ridicule them.
Also, you cannot wear a mask while eating. It's physically impossible.

You already have passports. You cannot travel legally internationally without a valid passport.
People without a passport are (or should be) denied travel.
In other words, you already have to jump through several government-controlled hoops in order to obtain a passport.
And having criminal convictions already limits your ability to travel (yes I was watching Border Security last night waiting for the Olympics to come on).
In your eyes, is that "passport apartheid"?🙄

Honestly you sound like a complete tin-foil hat wearing nutter.
It's a wonder you trust any electronic devices at all. Well do you?
How convenient that you only accept science & technology when it suits you.

At this point, I'm actually almost hoping for vaccine passports. Mainly so that complete dummies like you won't be able to travel.
I'm neither a leftist nor "far right" btw.

EDIT: reading back over what I said, sorry if I was a bit harsh, it's just that. Come on man, think! Read!*🤦‍♂️
Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:44 pm
Anti vax used to be California liberal hippie soccer moms who thought they knew better than doctors that you could treat any vaccine preventable disease with things like an onion poultice stuck to the side of your head. Not making this up.
I'm glad I don't live in America. :lol:

*preferably from trusted sources.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

synchronicity wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:37 am
I'm glad I don't live in America. :lol:
Not so fast. Fabulous place if you are hardworking, smart, ambitious, etc. So many great places to make a living and raise a family. A lot easier and cheaper to do so than most of Europe. Don't let top news stories distort your impression of day-to-day life. And I would reserve judgement until you've spent time in Marin and San Mateo counties. Incredibly beautiful and great biking, and San Francisco is one of the worlds great cities - one of my children works in tech there. I learned to walk and talk and read and write in Cincinnati Ohio. For three generations now my family has owned property on Longboat key, Florida. Over the years, many months spent golfing, fishing, etc. with my grandparents, parents, and now with my children. Lots of good - I bet you'd love it.

and synch, I'd not waste time having any sort of serious debate with OnTheRivet. Only because how serious could it possibly be? Or at least wait until after the "incarcerations" and then have a go. :P

synchronicity

by synchronicity

True, true. Didn't really mean it like that.
I have seen a few places. Not much, but I did go to NYC before 9/11, also went through Utah, Nevada, California, Hawaii.
I enjoyed it. The people I met were nice of course.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:53 pm
Gosh.
Yeah, it's rather a lot to unpack...

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:44 pm
Good statistical analysis profile of the vaccine hesitant in the US by the Economist. Pretty much what you'd expect based on anecdotal reporting. More likely to be poor, uneducated, conservative. Also black Americans. LOL that all the affluent, educated conservatives have been vaccinated. Strongest correlating factor was Trump voter - there's a presidential legacy for ya. Problem with this is that it will be very hard to change and may have global implications. Fortunately the poor don't travel much - might be the saving grace for the US. Anti vax used to be California liberal hippie soccer moms who thought they knew better than doctors that you could treat any vaccine preventable disease with things like an onion poultice stuck to the side of your head. Not making this up.

I'm quite curious what the anti vaxers make of the fact that something like 98% of doctors have been vaccinated. I guess it's just like the soccer moms, they know better.

and I'll even quote from the profound musings of our own OnTheRivet:
OnTheRivet wrote:
This is the absurdity we've arrived at.
I'm a mechanical engineer. Lifelong Democratic voter until the last election ( did some early volunteer work for the Elizabeth Warren campaign) but ended up voting Libertarian becuase of the insanity I witnessed coming out of the Democratic party. I find it hilarious how the far left like to get ugly and attack just like the far right, those two groups are what make actual good people who want a better future give up on the political process. One of the things I do miss about the old days is if a condescending prick like you tried to talk to me like this face to face I'd just knock him out. Not all Democrats are beta pussies. Oh and I'm vaccinated.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

And on the subject of masks. This is a transcript from a PBS segment with the Director for Infectious Disease, Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota Michael Osterholm. Rather than attack me which seems to be the prevailing theme simply because you can't attack my messaging how about looking at the facts and debating them?

I HAVE HAD CONCERNS AND I -- DATES BACK TO APRIL OF 2020 ABOUT THE CONCEPT OF MASKING.

NEEDLESS TO SAY AS THE POLITICAL HOT BUTTON BEYOND ANYTHING I'VE EVER SEEN IN PUBLIC HEALTH.

AND YET AT THE SAME TIME I THINK WE'VE ALL DONE A DISSERVICE TO THE PUBLIC.

WHEN YOU ACTUALLY LOOK AT FACE CLOTH COVERINGS, THOSE CLOTH PIECES OF HANG OVER YOUR FACE.

THEY ACTUALLY ONLY HAVE VERY LIMITED IMPACT IN REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF VIRUS THAT YOU INHALE IN OR EXHALE OUT.

AND IN FACT IN STUDIES THAT HAVE BEEN DONE SHOW THAT IF AN INDIVIDUAL MIGHT GET INFECTED WITHIN 15 MINUTES IN A ROOM, BY TIME AND CONCENTRATION OF THE VIRUS IN THE ROOM.

ADD A FACE CLOTH COVERING YOU ONLY GET ABOUT FIVE MORE MINUTES OF PROTECTION.

I'VE BEEN REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH MY COLLEAGUES IN PUBLIC HEALTH FOR NOT BEING MORE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT CAN MASKING DG OR NOT DO.

ON THE OTHER HAND IF YOU USE THE N95 RESPIRATORS AND FIT THEM FIGHT TO YOUR FACE, YOU CAN ACTUALLY SPEND 25 HOURS IN THAT SAME ROOM AND STILL BE PROTECTED.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO ALL BE USING N95.

I MEAN I GOT MY MASK HERE.

WITH A SAINTS LOGO ON IT.

I MEAN, IT SEEMS WE CAN'T JUST DO THAT.

WELL, YOU KNOW, IT IS NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T DO.

THE SCIENCE IS FIRST.

AND THEN WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, THEN YOU CAN DECIDE WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T DO.

THE BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS BY TELLING PEOPLE THAT IN FACT JUST PUTTING A FACE CLOTH COVERING ON IS GOING TO PROTECT YOU IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

SO WHEN YOU ASK WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PUT ON N95 OR FELL LIKE YOU CAN'T, THAT IS YOUR CHOICE BUT BOTTOM LINE THE FACE CLOTH COVERING IS ONLY GOING TO PROVIDE YOU LIMITED PROTECTION.

SAME IS TRUE HOW YOU WEAR IT.

WE'VE BEEN DOING SURVEYS ON TELEVISION SCREEN SHOTS OF NEWS MEDIA EVENTS LOOKING AT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE WEARING THE MASK OR CLOTH COVERING AND MORE IMPORTANTLY HOW DO THEY WEAR IT?

25% OF THE POPULATION CONSISTENTLY SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE PANDEMIC WORE IT UNDER THE NOSE.

THAT IS LIKE FIXING THREE OF THE FIVE SCREEN DOORS IN YOUR SUBMARINE.

MoPho

by MoPho

Also from PBS

And here is a more entertaining example from "Uncle Rob"

If you think masking is anything more than control/political theatre you are fooling yourself.
If it is really about control as you say, what control exactly is the govt. gaining over us? What benefit does the govt get from having people wear masks? What benefit does the govt get from having people stay home and effectively destroy the economy? And how did the govt coordinate hundreds of thousands of doctors, scientists, health services, local governments, and the rest of the world, to get in line with this plan of controling us? Yeah, critical thinking.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

MoPho wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 pm
Also from PBS

And here is a more entertaining example from "Uncle Rob"

If you think masking is anything more than control/political theatre you are fooling yourself.
If it is really about control as you say, what control exactly is the govt. gaining over us? What benefit does the govt get from having people wear masks? What benefit does the govt get from having people stay home and effectively destroy the economy? And how did the govt coordinate hundreds of thousands of doctors, scientists, health services, local governments, and the rest of the world, to get in line with this plan of controling us? Yeah, critical thinking.

Are you kidding me? A couple of random You Tube videos as proof that masks work over a statement by the Director for Infectious Disease, Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota I could go into a long Diatribe about why this is happening but it comes down to Money and Power. If you think it's not that, you surely have not been paying attention.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

synchronicity wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:03 am
True, true. Didn't really mean it like that.
I have seen a few places. Not much, but I did go to NYC before 9/11, also went through Utah, Nevada, California, Hawaii.
I enjoyed it. The people I met were nice of course.
I can't even be mad at you, mostly just feel sorry because I know you are just lashing out. I know I would be if my country had basically turned back into an Island Prison. I recently rode with a guy from New Zealand who immigrated to the US (wife was a US citizen) because they were afraid of what was happening in New Zealand and Australia. You should look into coming to the US we are a very welcoming country.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

removed by mod - behave
Last edited by MoPho on Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.