Schwalbe G-One R or Challenge Getaway for racing?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jih

by jih

I've ridden the original G-one (not R) quite a bit on a gravel bike. They feel great. Not sure what objective opinion I can give but they're good. I've taken them on road rides quite a few times when I know the ride won't be super-quick and the tread isn't very agressive so they handle that fine too. I ride them pretty hard down gravelly roads too and they've handled everything dry fine. They're not great in wet and deep mud because of not enough tread.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I went ahead and ordered the Challenge Getaway Pro tires. I was able to find them a few bucks cheaper than the G-One R's. It was basically down to a coin flip for me.

I'll report back on my experiences.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sunfire2k5

by sunfire2k5

Marin wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:54 am
German review here: https://www.rennrad-news.de/news/schwalbe-g-one-r-test/
weird about the rolling resistance part here. BRR has the panaracer semi slick "up there" but the Racing Schwalbe just smokes it in this test.

I have just bought some in 45mm version. Looks beefy on the 29mm internal width rim I have them on. Will test them soon.
FOIL 20 w/DA 9270 + ENVE 60/67 2023 wheels - GP 5000TR S 28MM
Ridley GRIFN, 105 Di2 12s + Nextie AGX45 (40mm wide) aerogravel wheels - Terra Speed 45mm

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

sunfire2k5 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 pm
Marin wrote:
weird about the rolling resistance part here. BRR has the panaracer semi slick "up there" but the Racing Schwalbe just smokes it in this test.

I have just bought some in 45mm version. Looks beefy on the 29mm internal width rim I have them on. Will test them soon.
Tread pattern is only part of the equation when discussing rolling resistance. The casing construction accounts for an even larger portion of rolling resistance. There are a lot of smooth pattern tires that roll slower than some chunky tread tires. Continental Terra Speeds, for example, roll REALLY fast despite having center tread, whereas the Vittoria Terreno Zero and WTB Byway which have a smooth center roll actually quite slow.

sunfire2k5

by sunfire2k5

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 pm
sunfire2k5 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 pm
Marin wrote:

Tread pattern is only part of the equation when discussing rolling resistance. The casing construction accounts for an even larger portion of rolling resistance. There are a lot of smooth pattern tires that roll slower than some chunky tread tires. Continental Terra Speeds, for example, roll REALLY fast despite having center tread, whereas the Vittoria Terreno Zero and WTB Byway which have a smooth center roll actually quite slow.
Hi!

Thanks for good answer and I understand. What seems weird is the difference between the two tests for the panaracer tires.
FOIL 20 w/DA 9270 + ENVE 60/67 2023 wheels - GP 5000TR S 28MM
Ridley GRIFN, 105 Di2 12s + Nextie AGX45 (40mm wide) aerogravel wheels - Terra Speed 45mm

Marin

by Marin

One Test was run on the Schwalbe Test rig, one on the BRR rig.

But the G-One R has a differenc casing than the normal G-One.

Casio20

by Casio20

Hi mates,
I would like to put the G-One r in my canyon ultimate. I'm not sure whether the 40mm tires will fit.
Or the challenge gate away which is also 9nly available in 40.

Maybe you can give me the width measurement of the unmounted with as well, so I can compare with my existing tires.

Does anyone have measurements?

Thx a lot for your support

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Casio20 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:38 am
Hi mates,
I would like to put the G-One r in my canyon ultimate. I'm not sure whether the 40mm tires will fit.
Or the challenge gate away which is also 9nly available in 40.

Maybe you can give me the width measurement of the unmounted with as well, so I can compare with my existing tires.

Does anyone have measurements?

Thx a lot for your support
I'm not sure about your particular frame clearance. I'm guessing an Ultimate isn't going to clear 40's. From what I've read, both tires run true to size. I'll have the Challenge tires in my hands today, but the unmounted tire width isn't going to mean anything with those as they're a handmade tire that lays entirely flat until mounted.

Casio20

by Casio20

Hi Meinholdt,
I was actually surprised how big the tire clearance of the canyon ultimate disc bike is :)

There is no problem at all to put a 35-622 Schwalbe g one in the frame :)

I thought about mounting the Terra speed 40-622 and if it has the same unmounted width or smaller or larger, I can assume whether it will work out as well. As the knobbles are very small on both tires.

The total flat measurement would be great.

Thx Markus

Casio20

by Casio20

I have the discuss c45 40 with 29mm internal, so mounted measurements doesn't mean much to me :)

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Understood. Just got them in the mail a few minutes ago. One tire = 478g. Edge to edge is about 114mm. From the center of the bead to center of the bead, they're 110mm.

Hope this helps. I'll probably put together a quick video on my YT channel in the next few weeks to detailing the specs, install, and first impressions.

Casio20

by Casio20

So great, please share the YT Link,

Thanks a lot for your support

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I got the Challenge Getaway's installed today. Oof. I've had some difficult to install tires before and these are by far and away the hardest. And I even installed one backwards so I had to dismount and remount it. There is absolutely no way I'd be able to remove a tire to put a tube in on the road. It was just as hard, if not harder, to dismount it.

For anyone on the fence, go with the Schwalbes. Edit: Haven't ridden them yet. One positive is, like all Challenge tires, they sure are pretty.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

JMeinholdt wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:01 pm
I got the Challenge Getaway's installed today. Oof. I've had some difficult to install tires before and these are by far and away the hardest. And I even installed one backwards so I had to dismount and remount it. There is absolutely no way I'd be able to remove a tire to put a tube in on the road. It was just as hard, if not harder, to dismount it.

For anyone on the fence, go with the Schwalbes. Edit: Haven't ridden them yet. One positive is, like all Challenge tires, they sure are pretty.
Glad I'm not the only one who had trouble mounting these. I had pretty much given up on mounting them on my Enve G23 and 3.4AR rims. I saw a link to this video on another forum and tried the technique of stretching the entire tire on the rim first on a set of Terra CLX wheels and that was much easier-not sure if it was the rim or the technique.

https://youtu.be/RpCAlIzzr1c

I find the ride worth it-really supple and feels fast on the pavement. No flats yet, so have not had to try to stick a tube in it on the road. I'll enjoy them until then.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

cycleboyco wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 pm
I find the ride worth it-really supple and feels fast on the pavement. No flats yet, so have not had to try to stick a tube in it on the road. I'll enjoy them until then.
I got a ~20 mile ride in last night. Initial thoughts on the most important aspects:

Speed: Perception of speed is a finnicky thing. These tires do feel really fast. A quantitative test on gravel, in my opinion, is pointless as my gravel is different than anyone elses and even taking a slightly different line is going to change the results. But, I think the really supple feel on both road and gravel lends itself to more speed. It seems to absorb and float over the rough surfaces better, which equates to more speed. Not to mention, that supple ride will have the effect of being less fatiguing over long distances.

Traction: I had a really mixed ride of a small amount of road, freshly laid new loose gravel, and some fairly smooth hardpack. I really didn't push it when cornering, but they felt really stable. The biggest difference when coming from the Terreno Zero tires is that, no surprise, climbing traction is 1000% better. I always had to throttle my power on loose climbs before and shift my weight back or I slipped. I felt much more confident climbing in my normal position without losing grip. That certainly means faster climbing.

Puncture protection: Really can't comment on this with only 20 miles in. No issues yet.

They did seem to seal up well once the bead was seated, which did take quite a bit of pressure (~65psi) due to the tight bead. Rated pressure is 25-45psi. I'll likely stick to my standard 35R 30F pressures. At normal pressures they measured out to ~39.8mm on a 20c internal width wheel. At 65psi, way over inflated, they measured ~41mm. I'm guessing they'll settle at around 40.5mm after a few days under normal pressure. So almost dead on true to size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com