Virus And Riding.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 am
Yup, that's a terrible number for an advanced country. I feel for ya. We're really rolling in Canada, 80% at least one shot and 60% fully vaccinated. In another few weeks Canada should be at 90% over 12 years old fully vaccinated. It's all good but that Delta variant will be a problem, the US border will open August 9th and they're not doing great. Just need to keep a lid on things till mid August - off to Italy. I'll be pissed if a bunch of anti-vax clowns blow this for me. :D
If only. In my state at least, we have ~50% vaccinated. Despite the government offering to hand out shots like candy and in many cases, giving them gifts and free stuff to get it.

It really makes me feel awful that our country is so backwards that we literally have workers twiddling their thumbs with a freezer full of vaccines because idiots won't get the shot, whereas other countries have extremely high demand and can't get the doses they need.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Gotta love the subscribers to "Give me liberty or give me death". I think some people will get both. The next virus mutatation will certainly be nastier than Delta and it is coming to a neighbourhood near you soon - just the way these things work. I often wonder what would happen in the US if the fatality rate from Covid was 50 - 100% for the unvaccinated. Would behaviour change? I am starting to doubt that it would. It would be like a type of intellectual Darwinism - failure to process information costs you your life. Harsh but hey, we tried.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 am
synchronicity wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am
synchronicity wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:52 am
But I don't think Australia is acting fast enough with vaccinations. Now they are even talking about still not having everyone here vaccinated by OCTOBER!
Why does it take until after OCTOBER to vaccinate everyone??!!! Ridiculous! :o
Fasst forward 3 months, and yes, it's now clearly apparent that Australia's vaccine rollout is one of the slowest of the OECD countries.

It's now almost August 2021 and only 13.6% of people have been fully inoculated.🤦‍♂️
Yup, that's a terrible number for an advanced country. I feel for ya. We're really rolling in Canada, 80% at least one shot and 60% fully vaccinated. In another few weeks Canada should be at 90% over 12 years old fully vaccinated. It's all good but that Delta variant will be a problem, the US border will open August 9th and they're not doing great. Just need to keep a lid on things till mid August - off to Italy. I'll be pissed if a bunch of anti-vax clowns blow this for me. :D
Why do you care about anti-vaxxers if you are vaccinated? Also, what makes you worry about the US, Canada is only letting vaccinated people in. FFS this is a 99.9% survivable virus and you are acting like it's the plague. I've been vaccintated for 3 months, traveled all over the US and went to Mexico, never wore a mask, I'm fine.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:47 pm
The next virus mutatation will certainly be nastier than Delta
This goes against science. Virus generally mutate weaker as transmission gets easier becuase killing hosts is bad for business. Science!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Not science, not science at all. Beta and delta both more transmissible and deadly than original strain

Someone should lock this thread.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Andrew69

by Andrew69

synchronicity wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am
synchronicity wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:52 am
But I don't think Australia is acting fast enough with vaccinations. Now they are even talking about still not having everyone here vaccinated by OCTOBER!
Why does it take until after OCTOBER to vaccinate everyone??!!! Ridiculous! :o
Fasst forward 3 months, and yes, it's now clearly apparent that Australia's vaccine rollout is one of the slowest of the OECD countries.

It's now almost August 2021 and only 13.6% of people have been fully inoculated.🤦‍♂️
No doubt weve had a slow roll out
Thankfully things are starting to pick up
As at 29 July, 39.95% of 16's and over have had first dose, 18.24% of 16's and over have had two doses

Im booked in in two weeks, wife has already had her first pfizer and son gets his first pfizer next saturday (he has T1D so in a higher risk group)

Edit: Source
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default ... y-2021.pdf

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:47 pm
The next virus mutatation will certainly be nastier than Delta
This goes against science. Virus generally mutate weaker as transmission gets easier becuase killing hosts is bad for business. Science!

Over very, very long periods, this tends to be true. Whether a year two variant is more deadly or less deadly is basically random chance.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:04 pm
Why do you care about anti-vaxxers if you are vaccinated?
I am not worried about my health in the slightest, I am worried about outbreaks that keep me from riding in Europe, already missed one summer there and hope not to miss any others. (And of course I do feel for people who suffer economically as a result of outbreaks, not to mention the sick and the dead, but trying to keep it on topic - so just virus and riding.)
OnTheRivet wrote:
Also, what makes you worry about the US,
Same as above. The numbers aren't good. If this delta variant really gets going, then that's a lot of people with disease, and it's only a matter of time till places where I want to ride my bike will be forced to restrict international travellers. In other words it the US ends up like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcbR1J_4ICg , then I'll be stuck riding here in beautiful BC.
OnTheRivet wrote:
FFS this is a 99.9% survivable virus
A compelling model has the actual fatality rate is 1.4%, 14 times worse than than you are suggesting. World Health Organization has 3.4% mortality rate estimate. And if you are admitted to hospital it's 15%. Again, not worried, but just to be accurate.
(https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-rate/)
OnTheRivet wrote:
I've been vaccintated for 3 months, traveled all over the US and went to Mexico, never wore a mask, I'm fine.
Well that settles it than, the world has officially been saved from Covid. :D Just a wild guess that you're not a statistician. :roll:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 pm
Not science, not science at all. Beta and delta both more transmissible and deadly than original strain

Point me to ANY verifiable studies that shows the Delta variant is more deadly. Wait, what, not enough data to make a conclusion? Making false statement as fact, not science.

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

Results Compared to non-VOC SARS-CoV-2 strains, the adjusted elevation in risk associated with N501Y-positive variants was 59% (49-69%) for hospitalization; 105% (82-134%) for ICU admission; and 61% (40-87%) for death. Increases with Delta variant were more pronounced: 120% (93-153%) for hospitalization; 287% (198-399%) for ICU admission; and 137% (50-230%) for death.
from https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21260050v2 - slanted bold text highlighted by yours humbly.

You're welcome.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:26 pm
bikewithnoname wrote:

Point me to ANY verifiable studies that shows the Delta variant is more deadly. Wait, what, not enough data to make a conclusion? Making false statement as fact, not science.
removed by mod - language
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:30 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:26 pm
bikewithnoname wrote:

You can read the study jagheterjan posted.

You can also take a look at the 400k dead people in India you callous piece of shit. I bet their families are super happy your first world vaccinated ass thinks delta variant isn't anything to be worried about.
While your passion and compassion are admirable there is no need for that type of attack. OnTheRivet is not being callous at all, that would require a very different understanding of the problem on his part. Rather it's just a lack of information that has him where he is. Based on what I assume he has (or hasn't) learned or otherwise believes, he rightfully can't understand what all the fuss is about. He's not alone. May I suggest a patient effort to inform is the best approach here.

The topic of the virus and riding is a significant one. I don't think we want this thread locked. Many people, among them some who make their living riding a bike, were prevented from doing so. None of us want to be stuck indoors again. Not sure where you are but the Europeans had a terrible time at the height of the outbreak. It could happen again so it's a good service to promote behaviours and attitudes that prevent that from happening again. (And of course there are lives at stake so it's highly worthwhile.)
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

double post.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

jagheterjan wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:13 pm
Results Compared to non-VOC SARS-CoV-2 strains, the adjusted elevation in risk associated with N501Y-positive variants was 59% (49-69%) for hospitalization; 105% (82-134%) for ICU admission; and 61% (40-87%) for death. Increases with Delta variant were more pronounced: 120% (93-153%) for hospitalization; 287% (198-399%) for ICU admission; and 137% (50-230%) for death.
from https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21260050v2 - slanted bold text highlighted by yours humbly.

You're welcome.
Good grief, this is a theorhetical MODEL! Also NOT peer reviewed. This is the kind of stuff that is infuriating. Emotion has no place in science.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

It's called statistics. Scientists use it to search data for patterns, quite fascinating if you're into this Science thing.

That last line of yours is irony, right?