New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

IvanZg

by IvanZg

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:38 am
Has anyone had the new SLR 1 wheels taken apart? What is the ratchet system in the rear hub? Is it a DT SWISS (EXP)? Giant states 30T ratchet - maybe a custom one?
I had this hub fail on me today after 830km. Cassette started to spin both ways so had to get a car ride for 35km to get home. Luckily it was not on 13% climb but on flatish terain.
Anyhow I’m attaching photos so you might recognize if it’s DT design. Problem I had was due to spring getting stuck in floating ring. (I believe that’s the same issue with EXP hubs) It came packed with shit load of grease…

Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LucasNid

by LucasNid

Ginsterdrz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 pm
neomoz wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am
People with Giant TCR pro bikes which have seatpost clamp creaking issues, I've just discovered that Giant rectified the design of the clamp, if you got one of the earlier clamps, talk to your dealer to get the newer updated clamp.

I discovered this by coming across a cyclingtips review, trying to a find solution to my persistent creak issue.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/2021-gi ... ke-review/
Our test sample also experienced some obnoxious creaking from the seat post. Turns out our sample was supplied with the wrong seat post wedge from the factory and a quick swap to the correct one immediately solved this issue and brought the TCR’s aero post design back to the quiet and reliable fit we knew from previous generations.

This isn’t a design or manufacturing flaw but rather human error in packaging, and I mention it solely as I’ve heard from one other owner who’s had the same creaking issue in their new TCR. Giant assures me this is an incredibly rare incident but if you own a 2021 TCR Advanced or Advanced Pro and can see a gap between the front of the seat post and the wedge, then reach out to your local shop or Giant for the right part.
Here is old seat clamp that creaks.

New updated design, you can see the new design is much longer for better grab and requires less torque.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/2021 ... seat-cover

I'll be speaking to my dealer first thing in the morning, just had to share this info ASAP with others.
Can anyone quote the part number for the 'new' TCR 2021 seatpost wedge (4.5 - 5.5Nm version) ?

Are these being fitted to the latest TCR deliveries?
Not sure about the part number, all I can tell you is that my 2021 TCR bought in January 21 (in Australia) has the new wedge and no clicking issues

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

Thank you LucasNid

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

IvanZg wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:14 pm
I had this hub fail on me today after 830km. Cassette started to spin both ways so had to get a car ride for 35km to get home. Luckily it was not on 13% climb but on flatish terain.
Anyhow I’m attaching photos so you might recognize if it’s DT design. Problem I had was due to spring getting stuck in floating ring. (I believe that’s the same issue with EXP hubs) It came packed with shit load of grease…
Looks fairly similar. Just the inner ring with notches (for removal) on the outside while the DT EXP has notches on the inside. Also the spacer looks a bit different. I wonder if the parts are interchangeable.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc
2018 Specialized Epic HT Comp Carbon
2019 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

rob86

by rob86

Is the TCR seatpost the same between MY16 and MY21? So the new clamp can also be used on MY16 models?

I have a 2020 TCR (=MY16) and my seat seems not dead straight. I hope it's the seatpost/saddle connection that is not perfectly aligned and not a misaligned frame. Anyone else faced the same issue? Already tried different saddles so the misalignment is not in the saddle.

damond

by damond

No
rob86 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:39 am
Is the TCR seatpost the same between MY16 and MY21? So the new clamp can also be used on MY16 models?

I have a 2020 TCR (=MY16) and my seat seems not dead straight. I hope it's the seatpost/saddle connection that is not perfectly aligned and not a misaligned frame. Anyone else faced the same issue? Already tried different saddles so the misalignment is not in the saddle.
No, MY2021 TCR seatpost shape is different then MY2016. Although the seatpost is not round you still have a bit of "play" to adjust it so i suggest you to fine tune it and then tighten the seatpost clamp.

SeanofChelsea

by SeanofChelsea

IvanZg wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:14 pm
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:38 am
Has anyone had the new SLR 1 wheels taken apart? What is the ratchet system in the rear hub? Is it a DT SWISS (EXP)? Giant states 30T ratchet - maybe a custom one?

Image Image
Was it ok after you cleaned it out?

neomoz

by neomoz

rob86 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:39 am

My TCR came with the MY21 short clamp as I posted above, creaking/clicking issues, going through Giant Australia on warranty, their solution was to supply the MY16 clamp which has worked a treat for me ever since, no slipping, zero noise.

But I never had any issues with post alignment, the different clamps shouldn't change that I feel, if something isn't straight it's either a faulty seat post or your seat tube is out of alignment. I don't think the clamp will change that.

enkolesar

by enkolesar

I've been loosing my hair over past few months with seatpost creaks on my otherwise excellent tcr pro0 my21. While waiting on the new 4.5Nm wedge, I tried all sorts of lubes, carbon paste...

But today ride - total silence!! 😁😁😁

Last night I cleaned the seatpost and the frame, and applied 3cm wide electrical tape along front and back side of the seatpost, then tightened to 5Nm.

It was a single 3h ride, but if it stays like that for fews weeks at least, I'm happy with a workaround.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Does anyone know if the missing link of the KMC chain that comes with the TCR 2021 is re-usable?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

darrydonds wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 pm
Does anyone know if the missing link of the KMC chain that comes with the TCR 2021 is re-usable?
Have a look at writing engraved on the side of the missing link. CL555R is replaceable, CL555 is single use.
Last edited by Nickldn on Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Yoeleo H10 bars 7.5kg

Smultie

by Smultie

The -R is reusable, the non-R isn't

IvanZg

by IvanZg

SeanofChelsea wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:37 pm
Was it ok after you cleaned it out?
460km after the service and works fine. Hopefully it was one time occurrence as I'm not really able to find anything online regarding the same problem on Giant's rear hubs

Lina

by Lina

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:15 pm
darrydonds wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 pm
Have a look at writing engraved on the side of the missing link. CL555R is replaceable, CL555R is single use.
All of them are reusable, even the ones that say they aren't. Just be smart about it.

zirxo

by zirxo

I'm having some problems with a creaking saddle on my ISP when I add a 1 mm shim, anyone else that has run into this problem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com