2021 Canyon Aeroad

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

tyw214

by tyw214

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 pm
carbonLORD wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:14 pm
The battery. I had to remount mine. Pain in the ass.
yes that is.. never liked the battery in the downtube
Mine is a sram etap ax's though lol XD don't think it's the battery... it's a hollow sounding clank

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ I'm sure the bracket is still there... but if it was the bracket it would be the middle of the bike. Maybe rear hydro hose
2019 BMC TM01R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD
2020 Parlee TTiR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

tomtom wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:22 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:43 pm
Talking about issue is fine, but this constant mud flinging at canyon and people who have the bikes isnt the same as just talking about issues.
I feel for the owners .. I dont feel for Canyon.
Than write an email to Canyon complaning about their stuff ;-). Over here you "hurt" the owners en NOT Canyon
I don't see how negative remarks about the bike and its design hurt the owners a single bit. Unless they also happen to be employed by Canyon. Criticism towards the bike and some of the design choices on it is not criticism towards the owners, and the owners shouldn't take it as such. I'm sure Canyon will be able to fix the problems with the bike, and with the discounts it'll be a great deal to those that bought one at release. But that doesn't remove the fact that there are real problems with the frame right now, they've made some really dumb design choices, and they've seriously neglected to test the design properly. Having discussions about products and especially the problems in them is a core part of almost any hobby forum. Be it cars, bikes, cameras, etc.

If we weren't allowed to discuss the problems of bikes then this forum wouldn't be any better than the entire bike press which just acts as an advertising platform for bike brands. You won't read anything negative about any brand from bike press unless it's already big news, like the incident with MVDPs handlebars and the subsequent ride ban from Canyon. You won't find about issues like bad design that will destroy your headtube over time, loosening headsets, bad seat clamps, etc. from the bike press. These sites and being able to discuss about the actual problems with the bikes are very important to people that are choosing between bikes and looking for more information on them. If you're between two bikes and one has multiple problems on it that people struggle with constantly and the other doesn't it makes the decision much easier.

And people do complain about other brands. People just don't care about Merida nearly as much as they do for Canyon, also as noted a frame or fork breaking in a high speed crash isn't the same as seatposts noticeably wearing in under 1 000 km or handlebars breaking while just riding along. I know multiple people that were going to buy the new Aeroad but are no longer interested thanks to some of the design choices on it. The previous now deleted Aeroad thread started years before the bike launched and had a ton of content. People want to buy Canyons, I don't remember any Merida frame causing such interest from people. If you look at the Cannondale threads, either SuperSix or SystemSix you see that people are talking about problems with the bike. The Look 795 thread is full of discussion about problems regarding the headset. Giant TCR thread has plenty of discussion about headsets and seat clamps. And that's from just the top of my head. You can find similar examples from a thread about any bike as long as it's something people are interested in and have actually bought.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Well I can't wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys. Have an ultimate with 40000 km on it, been great. Canyon Australia have been faultless.

Block

by Block

Canyon has done some amazing innovation on the aeroad. Most of it hasn't come out that well. This is how innovation goes. In this case Canyon has made their customers do the quality control. Not that good business. Too much money is being poored into marketing like supporting the teams. I get it, it works. But I don't want to pay for it. I want to pay for innovation like they've done on the aeroad. But with the testing already done and payed for by Canyon (I can do it for free;]). We should continue scrutinizing these bikes based on facts and get the word out.

tomtom

by tomtom

tyw214 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:38 pm
I just rode my aeroad cfr after changing out the rear derailleur. I am not sure if it made sound before, but going over larger bumps ( or just dropping the rear stationary) I can hear plastic clanks from the rear part of the bike.

Anybody know what's making that sound? I don't think anything is loose
Not the brakewires and/or Di2 cables? Mounting the battery is a real pain but in all these years I never had one that came loose..... But I would not mind a mounting option in the seatpost although I think Canyon choose the the downtube for weightdistribution (but does 50g matter that much?)
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

cberg

by cberg

Lina wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:20 am
or handlebars breaking while just riding along.
Not really though, there has been one case of handlebars breaking. I get that Canyon wants to play it safe given that the bike was already getting some negative attention, but it really seems to have been an isolated case, which might have been caused by a previous crash.
This new video bashing the CFR/SLX cockpit is just dumb, I havent seen any reports of any problems with the headset, other than working on it is difficult.

usr

by usr

tomtom wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:18 am
But I would not mind a mounting option in the seatpost although I think Canyon choose the the downtube for weightdistribution (but does 50g matter that much?)
Would a battery even fit in one section of that two-chamber seatpost? In any case, re-lubing the famous seatpost every fifty kilometers or whatever they have been suggesting would be even more annoying if the seatpost was wired... (not that this could have been planned from the start, influencing the battery placement)

Lina

by Lina

cberg wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am
Lina wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:20 am
or handlebars breaking while just riding along.
Not really though, there has been one case of handlebars breaking. I get that Canyon wants to play it safe given that the bike was already getting some negative attention, but it really seems to have been an isolated case, which might have been caused by a previous crash.
This new video bashing the CFR/SLX cockpit is just dumb, I havent seen any reports of any problems with the headset, other than working on it is difficult.
Yes it was an isolated incident, most likely caused by a previous crash. But the thing is, they've "innovated" in a place where there is absolutely no need for innovation. There was absolutely no need to abandon the universal way of attaching levers to bars. They gain nothing from it while requiring more proprietary parts and they open themselves up for a ton of ridicule/bad press if something goes wrong with it. The design choice deserves a bashing. We don't know if the bars breaking was caused by a crash or because of the clamp they use. Hell even Canyon didn't know when it happened, they wouldn't have issued a no ride warning if they knew for sure that it wasn't caused by the clamp. If they had just used a normal clamp everyone would have shrugged it off as being caused by a previous crash.

Also, if going to a proprietary cockpit/headset system that is even more pain in ass than "normal" fully integrated systems that's definitely a negative.

tomtom

by tomtom

usr wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:52 am
tomtom wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:18 am
But I would not mind a mounting option in the seatpost although I think Canyon choose the the downtube for weightdistribution (but does 50g matter that much?)
Would a battery even fit in one section of that two-chamber seatpost? In any case, re-lubing the famous seatpost every fifty kilometers or whatever they have been suggesting would be even more annoying if the seatpost was wired... (not that this could have been planned from the start, influencing the battery placement)
Canyon uses the same mountingmethod for each & every internal Di2 raceframe they ever made. My wish was for another option for every future Di2 frame they make :-). Also because I do not like the screws/plate on my downtube(s). For the Aeroad III it should also be possible without (much) hassle. Of course the frequent lubing was not intented (and seems also not necessery if I look at my seatpost) prior to the introduction and therefore no reason to choose another mounting option. But for now they have other things to improve on this frameset :mrgreen:!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

usr

by usr

I can see your point, that BB port seems a bit weird in a frame that doesn't have a single variant able to run mechanical.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Correct me if I am wrong, but pros have been on this bike for a while now correct? Putting in miles, watts, and torque that most of us only dream of. I don't think we are the beta testers here, its the guys and gals who rely on this for a living who actually ever put these bikes to a test. So I am guessing that Canyon has done their in-house testing to the best of their abilities. Pros would not be using bikes that have know issues that can cause serious harm because it is their livelihood and Canyon wouldn't want that either hopefully from a moral standpoint as well as a business standpoint.

Just saying a video on the possibility of bonded aluminum and carbon failing is talking about what ifs.

Not a Canyon fanboy and honestly probably an ex-customer at this point.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

usr wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:57 pm
I can see your point, that BB port seems a bit weird in a frame that doesn't have a single variant able to run mechanical.
it makes it easier to remove a shimano di2 battery
2019 BMC TM01R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD
2020 Parlee TTiR

mgrl

by mgrl

yourrealdad wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:19 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but pros have been on this bike for a while now correct? Putting in miles, watts, and torque that most of us only dream of. I don't think we are the beta testers here, its the guys and gals who rely on this for a living who actually ever put these bikes to a test. So I am guessing that Canyon has done their in-house testing to the best of their abilities. Pros would not be using bikes that have know issues that can cause serious harm because it is their livelihood and Canyon wouldn't want that either hopefully from a moral standpoint as well as a business standpoint.

Just saying a video on the possibility of bonded aluminum and carbon failing is talking about what ifs.

Not a Canyon fanboy and honestly probably an ex-customer at this point.
The pros aren't using the special bars any more, they're using CFR frames which have had holes drilled in the headtube for external cabling and then a normal aerobar without integration.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

I was going to wait until I hear back from Canyon to post, but I guess it won't change what they find really.

The bike only has 2 rides really that have totaled about 59 miles, maybe a couple miles here and there just rolling up and down my street in front of my house. Seatpost after this mileage is still perfect, but that's probably to be expected. Still, there isn't even a tiny mark on it. I've only greased it once and have never used carbon paste on the bottom front area of the smaller post.

The concerning part for me is what I found after the second ride. I clean my bike after every ride pretty meticulously so I'm certain that I would have seen this after the first ride and even delivery if it was there. The two rides that I took the bike on were nothing crazy and were farily laid back with a couple nice descents on the last ride. (non on the drop bars either) I didn't hit anything, the bike hasn't been crashed, tipped over, had something drop on it or even looked at wrong. Heck, the area is pretty well sheltered by the chain ring and chain. I'm hoping that Canyon has me ship it back and warranties it, atleast the frame that is, otherwise I really don't feel safe riding it even after the drop bars are replaced. I have no idea if there is some sort of stress crack in the carbon that did this, or if it's just bad paint. Either way I feel like it is a warranty eligible claim, especially for only having 60 miles on it. :noidea:

I haven't had to deal with a warranty claim with my other Aeroad ever so hopefully it goes smoothly.
Attachments
Post.JPG
IMG_7454.jpg
IMG_7451.jpg
IMG_7450.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com