New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

neomoz

by neomoz

People with Giant TCR pro bikes which have seatpost clamp creaking issues, I've just discovered that Giant rectified the design of the clamp, if you got one of the earlier clamps, talk to your dealer to get the newer updated clamp.

I discovered this by coming across a cyclingtips review, trying to a find solution to my persistent creak issue.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/2021-gi ... ke-review/
Our test sample also experienced some obnoxious creaking from the seat post. Turns out our sample was supplied with the wrong seat post wedge from the factory and a quick swap to the correct one immediately solved this issue and brought the TCR’s aero post design back to the quiet and reliable fit we knew from previous generations.

This isn’t a design or manufacturing flaw but rather human error in packaging, and I mention it solely as I’ve heard from one other owner who’s had the same creaking issue in their new TCR. Giant assures me this is an incredibly rare incident but if you own a 2021 TCR Advanced or Advanced Pro and can see a gap between the front of the seat post and the wedge, then reach out to your local shop or Giant for the right part.
Here is old seat clamp that creaks.

New updated design, you can see the new design is much longer for better grab and requires less torque.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/2021 ... seat-cover

I'll be speaking to my dealer first thing in the morning, just had to share this info ASAP with others.

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

I got the new seat clamp when my frameset returned from a recent RMA trip. Took the rebuilt bike out for a quick spin today - going full ham while tucked in will still produce the occasional squeal and creak, but outside of that it's basically silent. I can live with that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jasjas

by jasjas

neomoz wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am
People with Giant TCR pro bikes which have seatpost clamp creaking issues, I've just discovered that Giant rectified the design of the clamp, if you got one of the earlier clamps, talk to your dealer to get the newer updated clamp.

I discovered this by coming across a cyclingtips review, trying to a find solution to my persistent creak issue.
Is this a direct replacement for earlier model years, such as my 2018 pro 0 ?

BBres

by BBres

I am wodering if Giant will be keen to replace the clamp of my 2021 TCR. I have no issues though with the old one. I am waiting for a reply.

You you know which handlebar tape is a stock tape for 2021 Advanced Pro 0? Is it Stratus Lite 2.0 or 3.0?

Smultie

by Smultie

Why change something you have no issues with?

koermer

by koermer

After all the help from this forum, my small TCR Advanced Pro 1 upgrade project is finished.

My modifications consisted of replacing mechanical Ultegra with Di2 and the stock handlebars with Giant's contact SLR integrated bars.
Some pointers for those attempting similar upgrades: there is no need to remove the bottom bracket when upgrading to Di2 - just route the 4 cables through the opening below the bottom bracket, connect the junction box and pull everything back in. The opening is large enough to manipulate the di2 components with ease. The rubber grommets and battery wedge for the seatpost come with the bike.

The SLR integrated bars fit very well onto the (slightly angled) stock spacers. For some reason, a wahoo mount was not included with the SLR handlebar, but the one coming with the stock bars worked perfectly. There is a lot of carbon residue inside the SLR bars, which made routing the di2 cables very difficult. I would recommend using a rigid wire to first see if it comes through at all and then use it to pull through the delicate di2 cable. Also do not attempt the normal di2 routing with the ANT receiver in the middle of the handlebar - it will probably get stuck and you'll never get it out. Instead, it is possible to hide the receiver at the end of the bar that is not occupied by the bar end junction.

Finally, the ANT receiver comes with some brackets to connect the di2 cable to the hydraulic line. I opted for some shrinking hose instead, which looks slightly cleaner.
Attachments
IMG_20210428_190756.jpg
IMG_20210428_190828.jpg
IMG_20210428_190808.jpg

FEEDINtheGO4T

by FEEDINtheGO4T

Sweet looking bike!

FEEDINtheGO4T

by FEEDINtheGO4T

Finally picked mine up yesterday.

My build

Frame: TCR SL (Chrysocolla
Wheels: Zipp 303s 45mm
Tyres: Challenge Strada 27mm
Grupo: Sram Red etap AXS (Cassette, Chain & Chain Rings are Force)
Bars: Giant SLR Aero 400mm
Bar Tape: Supercaz Sticky
Stem: Giant SLR 120mm
Saddle: Selle San Marco Shortfit CFX
Pedals: Look Keo Carbon Blade
Bottle Cages: Supercaz Fly Ano

I think thats everything. First impressions, I love it. It still doesn't feel like "my bike", but the ride its amazing.
Attachments
Complete build
Complete build
Cockpit
Cockpit
Start of the build
Start of the build
tcrslshop.jpg
tcrslwheel.jpg

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

Cloudberrie wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:45 pm
]
Austin wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm
I pulled the trigger and bought an Advanced Pro 1 disc. It'll be delivered in a month and a half.

As how excited as I am, one detail irks me: the wheels. The new 2021 SLR-1 42mm are hookless, tubeless only, 23mm wide externally, and officially support a very limited tire selection.
What are some feedback regarding those wheels?

I'm hesitating between selling them and buying a LightBicycle wheelset, or swapping the rims in favor of LightBicycle rims. What do you advise?
I have the LightBicycle WR50 on my TCR and R88 on my Shiv. The TCR is set up tubeless with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TT, and the Shiv has tubes with 28mm Vittoria Corsas. Both measure up wide, between 31-32mm when inflated. I run them at 65psi tubeless and 75psi tube. Both they are comfortable over bumpy roads.
IMG_20210314_111248.jpg
Hi- what chainset/crankset are you using here? And what BB? Thanks

neomoz

by neomoz

jagheterjan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 pm
I got the new seat clamp when my frameset returned from a recent RMA trip. Took the rebuilt bike out for a quick spin today - going full ham while tucked in will still produce the occasional squeal and creak, but outside of that it's basically silent. I can live with that.
I'm still waiting for my dealer to confirm when he can get the new clamp, But interesting to see giant are quietly replacing these clamps.

To confirm, the clamp you got looks like the new one I posted? I got an odd response from my dealer on the matter.

neomoz

by neomoz

jasjas wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 am
neomoz wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am

Is this a direct replacement for earlier model years, such as my 2018 pro 0 ?
I got the initial impression that MY16-20 clamps were not compatible with MY21 frames but the response I got from my bike dealer hinted that may not be the case and he said there was another clamp but it didn't look like the one I posted.

As I learn more I'll update.

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

Positive on the clamp, mine is the new design including the revised torque instructions.
neomoz wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 am
jagheterjan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 pm
I'm still waiting for my dealer to confirm when he can get the new clamp, But interesting to see giant are quietly replacing these clamps.

To confirm, the clamp you got looks like the new one I posted? I got an odd response from my dealer on the matter.

thundertcr

by thundertcr

Didn't noticed it before, but after reading about the clamp here I noticed there is quite a large gap between the clamp and the seatpost on my new 2021 TCR:
Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 08.44.42.png
Here is my cousins 2019 TCR for comparison
Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 08.46.01.png

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

The gap is present on my bike as well, yet the post doesn't slip nor creak

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BBres

by BBres

Smultie wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm
Why change something you have no issues with?
Just in case. Anyway, Giant instructed me to contact my local dealer to replace the clamp.