Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 pm
Narrower chain slightly effect the FD shifting though.
Maybe it would be the case on cheaper mechanical front derailleurs, but I have a 12s XTR chain on my Evo with a SpideRing and 9170 Di2 and it shifts and works as well as anything I have ever used, with the bonus of less drivetrain noise and a longer lasting chain, a win-win situation, the only negative side is those chains cost more compared to 11s Dura-Ace chains that are almost free by now.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Does anyone know, if this bottom bracket (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-pf30-road- ... -bracket-1) fits into the SuperSix / SystemSix frame. It should, but I wonder if the sleeve between the cups is wide enough to still stay in place in a 73mm BB shell. Seems EF is using this BB, but not sure if they use the sleeve between cups.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

floriansantana wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 pm
Does anyone know, if this bottom bracket (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-pf30-road- ... -bracket-1) fits into the SuperSix / SystemSix frame. It should, but I wonder if the sleeve between the cups is wide enough to still stay in place in a 73mm BB shell. Seems EF is using this BB, but not sure if they use the sleeve between cups.
As far as I know, the center sleeve is two parts that slide into each other and can fit from 68mm frame shells to 86.5 shells so it should be fine with PF30a.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 am
floriansantana wrote:
As far as I know, the center sleeve is two parts that slide into each other and can fit from 68mm frame shells to 86.5 shells so it should be fine with PF30a.
Cool, thanks Dan. I saw that the extendable sleeve was part of the cheaper steel bearings version, but that one is labeled 68-86.5 whereas the ceramic one is only labeled 68 mm for shell width.
@floriansantana

card0s

by card0s

floriansantana wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
floriansantana wrote:
Cool, thanks Dan. I saw that the extendable sleeve was part of the cheaper steel bearings version, but that one is labeled 68-86.5 whereas the ceramic one is only labeled 68 mm for shell width.
Are you going to use a Cannondale crankset or any other brand?
I've been researching DUB bottom brackets to use with a SRAM crankset and apparently you should use a "normal" PF30 with a Cannondale crankset or an offset PF30, usually called PF30A, with other ceanksets.

Info found here:
https://www.bbinfinite.com/blogs/news/ ... all-solved

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Worst case scenario, just take off the sleeve, it's not really needed unless there is so little space in the BB area that the brake hose/cables/wires will otherwise touch the spindle. On the SystemSix and the last two generations of SuperSix Evos, you have plenty of space to route everything away from an exposed spindle, you even have fittings to fix them with the plastic guides bolted underneath to do just that.

This FSA PF30 will work with pretty much any BB30 crankset and installed on a PF30a frame, with any BB30 crankset that has enough spindle length for the extra 5mm non-driveside. So all Cannondale cranks from the last 10 years or so, many from FSA and SRAM BB30 cranks, maybe others as well. BB30 cranks that have an adjusting collar non-driveside and only have room for a 68mm shell can be made BB30a PF30a compatible by taking off the adjusting collar, that frees 5mm and then you can just use a wave washer and shims to adjust them.

The issue is not about what brand is your crankset or bottom bracket, it's about matching the standards between both. If you have a DUB crankset with a DUB spindle, obviously you need a DUB crankset compatible bottom bracket, not one made for BB30 cranksets like this FSA linked by Florian. PF30 and PF30a are the same and natively are basically just BB30 bearings pressed into cups that are then pressed into the frame. The 'a' just stands for assymetric, the cups are the same but once in the frame, the non-driveside ends up 5mm further out. For DUB cranks in a PF30 or PF30a frame, you need PF30 sized cups to fit into the frame, but ones that house DUB sized bearings which have a smaller spindle diameter.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Because DUB alway expect the bearing stance to be bb386's width, Sram has a dedicated PF30a DUB bottom bracket.
The right side one is the same as on PF30 version, which it 'extend' the width to match bb386 bb.
The left side therefore can't use identical cup as the right side. Instead, left side cup is 5mm narrower than the right. So, you end up having bb386's bearing stance regardless. Wheelsmfg and BBinfinite Dub for pf30a are also different from pf30 version.

For other bb30/pf30 cranks, usually, pf30 bottom brackets don't try to convert the width. If you normally use any crank with some spacers on pf30 bb. You just use 5mm less spacer on the left side for pf30a bike (or remove preload adjuster for this 5mm space). That's it.

tsikla2021

by tsikla2021

I saw a picture of a reinforced head tube/fork area on the 2021 model. Does anyone know if it is working? I have seen quite a few cracked head tubes on the 2020 model, so I am a little hesitant of buying a SS Evo, if it is still an issue..

req110

by req110

tsikla2021 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
I saw a picture of a reinforced head tube/fork area on the 2021 model. Does anyone know if it is working? I have seen quite a few cracked head tubes on the 2020 model, so I am a little hesitant of buying a SS Evo, if it is still an issue..
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161708&p=1654749#p1654749

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156359&p=1622775#p1622775

New my21 has the headtube with some steel plates to protect impacts of fork lock
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

tsikla2021 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
I cracked my first frame and had it replaced on warranty, since knowing about the issue I've been absolutely fine for a year. The only precaution I've taken is when standing the bike up (for storage or manoeuvring) I catch or hold the handlebars so they don't turn and crash into the stop. I've never hit the stops whilst riding. So just a bit of care in those rare situations and you'll be fine. Certainly not a reason to strike this bike off your list.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

RDY

by RDY

I'm assuming that's the only difference between 20 and 21 frames? Assume the plate is bonded so can't be retrofitted to 20s?

Has there been an improvement in 20 and 21 himod framesets over previous years? It's my observation that there have been many fewer complaints about the BB area being totally screwed and creaking like crazy. Maybe the negative publicity and warranty claims finally forced them to do something.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

card0s wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:09 pm
floriansantana wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
floriansantana wrote:
Are you going to use a Cannondale crankset or any other brand?
I've been researching DUB bottom brackets to use with a SRAM crankset and apparently you should use a "normal" PF30 with a Cannondale crankset or an offset PF30, usually called PF30A, with other ceanksets.

Info found here:
https://www.bbinfinite.com/blogs/news/ ... all-solved
I’m using a Cannondale crankset, therefore I need a BB for a 30mm spindle. If you want to use a DUB crankset, you need a different BB, because the diameter of the spindle of a DUB crankset is smaller (somewhere around 29,xx mm).
@floriansantana

mattharrop

by mattharrop

I've picked up a 2020 Hi Mod and had some seatpost slipping issues recently but were fixed on yesterday's ride. This morning a very small crack in the paint. Something to be concerned about? Perhaps overtightening?
Attachments
IMG_0890.jpeg

RDY

by RDY

mattharrop wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:53 am
I've picked up a 2020 Hi Mod and had some seatpost slipping issues recently but were fixed on yesterday's ride. This morning a very small crack in the paint. Something to be concerned about? Perhaps overtightening?
Yes. It won't crack there if the carbon underneath isn't flexing unduly or cracking itself. It definitely shouldn't be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattharrop

by mattharrop

Thanks. I'll get in touch with the retailer to see what can be done about it.