Sram Rival AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

talltales

by talltales

TheRich wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:06 am
cubixthe wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 pm
TheRich wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:43 am
tomato wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 am

Not really. Just another guy who can't grasp the concept that some people have gear preferences that don't match his own.
It's not even that. That video is dumb.
And so is the RIVAL AXS grupset ;) To be honest, with that weight it should be banned from WeightWeenies or something lol. I can get RED AXS, top materials and performance plus the choice of rim brakes for ultimate lightweight and wireless experience but this is ridiculous. Pay a price that's anything but budget friendly for a bzzzzt bzzzzt sound and a bike that's heavy AF ? Come on guys. But sure, it will sell because people swallow the hype like crazy.
The pricing and the weight are potential big problems for OEMs.

I was looking at Emondas the other day to compare and if you only include the weight differences of the drivetrain components, you can spend almost $5k for Rival AXS or spend $900 more for UDi2 and get a bike that's over a pound (600g) lighter...plus the weight difference from the marginally better components on the Ultegra bike.
A Rival AXS bike needs be a lot less than $5K,- to be attractive. Are you kidding ? :-)

Seems the bike industry is at the moment recalibrating itself to an era where light weight is going to cost some serious money. It been going on for a while, even witht mechanical bikes, going up in both weight and price.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

A rival AXS bike needs to be slightly more expensive than 105.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I've been holding my thoughts to myself, but I guess it's time.

I really want to like this group set, and have been trying to invent a reason to do a build based around Rival AXS.

If I think any harder I may be at risk of bursting a vein, which wouldn't be good for cycling nor any further thinking.

All I can come up with is a $4~5K USD ~20lbs "yet another" N+1 crit bike that can run disc and shifts nicely. When I think through all the possible build-options like upgrading Crank/Cassettes to Red, or cheap-ing out drastically on finishing kit to save on cost... the "final" builds I can imagine simply do not make sense.

Maybe this group makes sense for those who have been sitting on a pile of finishing kits or frames.

For those who plan to build with this group set frame-up, I am curious to see your plans. I'll be here, patching my bloody self up by the First Aid kit.

I have a 12spd Campy Chorus group if anyone wants to trade btw, lmaonade.

TheRich

by TheRich

talltales wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:41 am
TheRich wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:06 am
cubixthe wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 pm
TheRich wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:43 am

It's not even that. That video is dumb.
And so is the RIVAL AXS grupset ;) To be honest, with that weight it should be banned from WeightWeenies or something lol. I can get RED AXS, top materials and performance plus the choice of rim brakes for ultimate lightweight and wireless experience but this is ridiculous. Pay a price that's anything but budget friendly for a bzzzzt bzzzzt sound and a bike that's heavy AF ? Come on guys. But sure, it will sell because people swallow the hype like crazy.
The pricing and the weight are potential big problems for OEMs.

I was looking at Emondas the other day to compare and if you only include the weight differences of the drivetrain components, you can spend almost $5k for Rival AXS or spend $900 more for UDi2 and get a bike that's over a pound (600g) lighter...plus the weight difference from the marginally better components on the Ultegra bike.
A Rival AXS bike needs be a lot less than $5K,- to be attractive. Are you kidding ? :-)

Seems the bike industry is at the moment recalibrating itself to an era where light weight is going to cost some serious money. It been going on for a while, even witht mechanical bikes, going up in both weight and price.
It doesn't cost serious money, it costs $7-800 more to have a bike with electronic shifting that's well over a pound lighter from both Trek and Specialized.

Or you can get a 105 bike for ~$1,800 less.

DaveS

by DaveS

Too much moaning, groaning and exaggeration in these posts. Comparing 12 speed groups to mechanical and/or 11 speed groups is apples to oranges. Shimano has a weight edge with groups having hollow crank arms, but the lowly grx-610 crank that costs the same as the new rival crank weighs about the same. The higher level grx-810 crank is about 100 grams lighter for $90 more. You can choose how much you want to pay. The force crank offers the same type of weight savings for about the same price difference.

Also keep in mind the whole package - rider and bike. I have an 8kg disc bike with force/grx drivetrain. When I weigh 62kg, the whole package is 70kg. If I get down to 60kg, the package is 3% lighter at 68kg. If I add 0.2 kg with a cheaper component group, the package becomes 0.3% heavier at 68.2kg. The day to day fluctuation in body weight is probably as much as a rival to force group change. Even if you're competing, that difference is unlikely to affect your standing at the finish line. A very small percentage of cyclist actually compete at any level, but many seem to think that anything less than a pro level or below 6.8kg bike is a must. Better yet, several different bikes of that caliber. Whatever makes you happy.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Kind of agree on the Apples and Oranges comment...I know what I'd pick if I had to choose between an 11s mechanical and a 12s wireless electronic groupset, even if the latter is a little heavier. From what I can tell the main culprit here is the chainset...so if that bothers you just get a different one...I have a nice and light chainset on my gravel bike, I would certainly be tempted the update the rest of the components to Rival AXS, the weight increase would certainly be more than made up for by the convenience of electronic (but that's subjective, I know...)
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

TheRich

by TheRich

DaveS wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 pm
Too much moaning, groaning and exaggeration in these posts. Comparing 12 speed groups to mechanical and/or 11 speed groups is apples to oranges.
Yes, nobody buys Ultegra or Dura Ace. They simply can't compete with SRAM.

One thing I missed was Trek moving Force up in the price range by adding the power meter, so you can get an Ultegra Emonda SLR7 for $8,300 or a Force SLR7 for $9,300...the SLR6 Etap at $7,300 pushed it up.

tomato

by tomato

Rival AXS is an entry level electronic group for (mainly) OEM applications. The vast majority of people who buy it won't care about the weight of the group, or the weight of the crank set; all they will care about is that they got a new bike with electronic shifters and disc brakes for $xx.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

tomato wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 pm
Rival AXS is an entry level electronic group for (mainly) OEM applications. The vast majority of people who buy it won't care about the weight of the group, or the weight of the crank set; all they will care about is that they got a new bike with electronic shifters and disc brakes for $xx.
But it's being spec'd on bikes costing $5,000-7,500 like the Specialized Aethos Comp, which is marketed as a frame that optimizes weight over aerodynamics but then weighs over 17 pounds with Rival AXS.

tomato

by tomato

stevesbike wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 pm
tomato wrote:
But it's being spec'd on bikes costing $5,000-7,500 like the Specialized Aethos Comp, which is marketed as a frame that optimizes weight over aerodynamics but then weighs over 17 pounds with Rival AXS.
Most people don't care as much about the weight of their bike, as they do about what features it has. People will likely buy that Aethos because it's the cheapest way to get one with electronic shifting. As a bonus, they will still get to brag that they own a "lightweight" Aethos.

talltales

by talltales

stevesbike wrote:
tomato wrote:
Sure. Doesnt make much sense spending Biig $ on a suuper light carbon frame only to skimp on the group and hang a boat anchor from the BB. Im sure other combinations of less expensive frames an more expensive groups make more sense. - Rather Rival AXS is a contender to make electric shifting availabe on a (semi) affordable OEM alloy bike. Im not aware of any such bike at the moment.

tomato

by tomato

stevesbike wrote:
But it's being spec'd on bikes costing $5,000-7,500 like the Specialized Aethos Comp ...
The Specialized Aethos Comp, which has Rival AXS, is only $4,800.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

tomato wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm
stevesbike wrote:
tomato wrote:
Most people don't care as much about the weight of their bike, as they do about what features it has. People will likely buy that Aethos because it's the cheapest way to get one with electronic shifting. As a bonus, they will still get to brag that they own a "lightweight" Aethos.
I made a comment on WW once upon a time about the new (not so new now) Emoda SLR not being especially light.

A Trek fanboi (employee) informed me SLR is nothing to do with being 'super light', it's just a marketing term Trek use to segment their product range.

Common sense has abandoned the cycling industry and been replaced with marketing a long time ago. :o
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

mcjonesy

by mcjonesy

stevesbike wrote:
tomato wrote:
I can totally see buying a Specialized Aethos w/ Rival AXS as a way to get a nice light frame, and then slowly upgrading the parts as you go. Yes it's a heavy groupset but that's the easy part to swap out vs getting a different frame.

talltales

by talltales

A five grand bike as a basis for upgeades? .. Wow!

Before you are done upgrading its a ten grand bike, with only the frame left.

Cycling has Run Amok! :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com