Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
nowtaps

by nowtaps

Hi everyone, decided to stop lurking and add to the data pool since this forum has been so helpful to me.

I ordered R35 with DT350 hubs on March 3rd.
Received it yesterday on April 15th. So, about 40 days with the cheaper EMS shipping.
Front weighs 662 grams
Rear weighs 801 grams

I also ordered R45 rims (rim brake model) on March 15th
Received it on March 27th. So, about 12 days for a ready stock rims with FedEx shipping
Sorry, I forgot to weigh it before it was built.

scatsob

by scatsob

Mine went to “building” today. Hopefully I get some pictures soon and they throw them in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Sun came back out, got a couple shots that show the satin finish better, they look great!

jlok

by jlok

uquality wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 pm
jlok wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:57 am
scatsob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 am
uquality wrote:Been waiting forever for my WR38, WR50 to be built... hopefully get them in a couple of week.

Anyone run the new width of Conti 5000 30C on the WR's? I'm curious how wide it is on the rim.
Or, I guess is anyone running Conti 5000 32C and have the width measurement?
Has your WR50 been stuck in “CNC Machining” for the last three weeks like mine?

Mine has just gone to "Sanding" today from CNC. I think ours are in the same batch?
Patience. It took me 4 months from date of order. Parcel tracking says I'm going to get my wheels next week!
4 months!...

LB promised me to ship the wheelset out within this week. Can't wait!

edit: wheels finally shipped !_!. 9 weeks since order to ship out.
Last edited by jlok on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

scatsob

by scatsob

Got my pictures today. Super excited to get them on the road and see how they do in the sometimes nasty winds here in southern Spain. Hopefully they ship today and show up sometime next week :).

WR50/65, DT350, 28h, no holes

jencvo

by jencvo

I saw new hubs available, ARC MT-032 F. Has anyone heard of those before?

doc88

by doc88

hello I'm Gianluca from Italy! I have some questions to the owners of lightbicycle wheels,
but first some personal specs: I'm 80kg, I ride a racing bike with rim brakes, only asphalt, I'm going to use tubeless 28mm tyres, looking for a medium aero rim 40-50mm:

1) most important: are these wheels good for rim brakes? has anyone had any issues?
2) v-shaped AR series vs u-shaped R series, which one is the best?
3) for 28mm tubeless which one is better: 23/30mm inner/outer width or 21/28mm inner/outer width?

Thanks to everyone is going to help!

Cheers

RDY

by RDY

jencvo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:21 am
I saw new hubs available, ARC MT-032 F. Has anyone heard of those before?
Cheap Chinese hubs. Chinese - not Taiwanese. Mainly sold to the West through AliExpress.

Not sure how good or bad they are. There aren't many Chinese hub brands. Though a few of the Western & TW companies do have factories there, hubs are still mainly made (and designed) in TW.
Last edited by RDY on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

doc88

by doc88

doc88 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm
hello I'm Gianluca from Italy! I have some questions to the owners of lightbicycle wheels,
but first some personal specs: I'm 80kg, I ride a racing bike with rim brakes, only asphalt, I'm going to use tubeless 28mm tyres, looking for a medium aero rim 40-50mm:

1) most important: are these wheels good for rim brakes? has anyone had any issues?
3) for 28mm tubeless which one is better: 23/30mm inner/outer width or 21/28mm inner/outer width?

Cheers
Anyone?

hartmannce

by hartmannce

doc88 wrote:

Cheers
28mm tire - is that actual measured width of installed tire or do you mean 28c tires.
If the question was about 28c - their actual width will be >30mm. In this case, the 23/30 and 21/28 rims are not recommended.
Another question is that you`ve mentioned is about rim brakes. Most rim brake road frames don`t have clearance wide tires.

I use a 21/28 AR wheelset with Continental GP5000TL 25c tires. They measure ~28mm and sit flush with the rim. With my weight of 74kg, I inflate those tires to 65psi(4.5 bar) front and 70psi(4.8bar) back, which is really comfy. I am a bit lighter than you so with this combo you`ll probably have to pump a bit more air.

On the other side - guys here say that GP5000TL 25c is a better fit for the 23/30 rims since this combo follows the 105 rule.

doc88

by doc88

hartmannce wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:51 pm
doc88 wrote:

Cheers
28mm tire - is that actual measured width of installed tire or do you mean 28c tires.
If the question was about 28c - their actual width will be >30mm. In this case, the 23/30 and 21/28 rims are not recommended.
Another question is that you`ve mentioned is about rim brakes. Most rim brake road frames don`t have clearance wide tires.

I use a 21/28 AR wheelset with Continental GP5000TL 25c tires. They measure ~28mm and sit flush with the rim. With my weight of 74kg, I inflate those tires to 65psi(4.5 bar) front and 70psi(4.8bar) back, which is really comfy. I am a bit lighter than you so with this combo you`ll probably have to pump a bit more air.

On the other side - guys here say that GP5000TL 25c is a better fit for the 23/30 rims since this combo follows the 105 rule.
hello hartmannce, thanks for the answers!
yes I meant 28c tires. I actally use victoria rubino pro 25c inflated 7.5 bar (not tubeless) and I have a lot of clearance...my frame should fit tires till 32c, 28c should not be a problem.
if 25c tubeless becomes wider on 23/30 rims I could keep on using it, I would have liked to try 28c to gain some comfort.
what is 105 rule?
any info about LB rim brakes reliability?

thanks

hartmannce

by hartmannce

105 rule is about the most aero rim-tire combo: if your tire has X actual width - the rim width should ideally be X*1.05. That is the theory.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

doc88 wrote:

Cheers
The braking should be as good as any other brand and better than many.
You do need to be careful with 23/30mm rims on a rim brake bike. 28mm tires will get close to the brake caliper or frame on some models. Of course some frames have good space and can do it. I can fit up to 32mm measured on my Factor rim brake with EE direct mount brakes. Which brake calipers will you use? Some are borderline with 30mm rims.
As for the 105 rule, it only matters if you are trying to optimize for every watt. I use 28mm Vittoria Corsas on 28mm wide rims on days that I want more comfort. I even use a 30mm tire on the rear sometimes as well. There are no issues in crosswinds, another reason you don't want the tire much wider than the rim.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

alanyu

by alanyu

doc88 wrote:

Cheers
1) Brake power is good in dry, above average in wet but low in heavy rain (most carbon rims are low in heavy rain). Farsports have a better brake track.

2) Considering the tire-rim combo and the specifiec shape of AR and R (rim brake), the wide curved-V-shape of AR has a more relaxed 105 rule than the U-shaped R. I have AR56-28/21 and other open module rims whose shape is the same as R (38 front and 50 rear). The U shape is more stable in small yaw while the wide curved-V shape is more stable in big yaw even with a deeper profile. The curved-V is pushed left and right like an oscillator in small yaw, kinda unstable. One needs to get used to this oscillator behaviour which only happens in small yaw and then will find the handling easier as the side force is actually smaller than the U shape.
U vs wide curved V.png
3) Make sure the clearance of both your frame and brake is enough. My frame and brake (EE G3 DM) have clearance for 32 mm (real width) tires, but EE works better with the rims whose brake track width is no larger than 28 mm.

For 28c tubeless, some would measure 28 mm on a 21c rim but most are wider while most others would be more than that. For both aero and comfort, 23/30 is better if you stick to 28c tubeless.

by Weenie

ruffryder

by ruffryder

Anybody seen the new Bontrager Aeolus specs? Looks very similar to the AR56. They were already fast wheels and now even faster. No need to spend that much though since the AR56 are pretty close in performance while being only a fraction of their cost.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk