Sram Rival AXS

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

saldegracia

by saldegracia

js wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm
saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am
saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am
And sorry, a 12-speed noob question: I have a Red 22 chainset converted to 1x (with the Sram CX chainring) on my gravel bike. Rest of the groupset is Rival 11s mechanical.

Could I keep using the Red chainset with Rival AXS or are the teeth of the chainring too wide?

Officially not recommended, but most 11spd chainrings seem to work. Definitely don't reuse those chainrings with an 11spd drivetrain at any point afteward.
Right, interesting, thanks! As far as I am aware there is no 12s chainring for this crankset, or is there?
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... ttop-12spd

Wolftooth (and I'm guessing others) have been maknig 1x chainrings for SRAM Flat-top chains for a while now.
Thanks! That's useful. When I bought the 11s chainring for this chainset though I was looking into Woolftooth and others got several replies saying that their chainrings aren't compatible with Sram Red 22 (despite it being standard 5-arm 110 BCD) because of the chainset's "hidden bolt", so I ended up buying the Sram chainring. I suspect it might be the same for these newer rings but definitely worth checking :thumbup:
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

by Weenie

jfranci3

by jfranci3

12sp chains work better for 11sp.. yes..... IF you get the right chainring as mentioned. I would do an SRAM Eagle chain if you can with the right ring. The only reason to go flat top is if you're using a SRAM 12sp road cassette for some unknown reason. The wrong ring will ride up on the ring and make a lot of noise (and not work right). It is worth it though as the 12sp chain works much better on the 1 and 11 cogs, especially if you're not at the perfect chainline. Make sure when you're ordering you get the right version of the cog as a ring maker beginning with G sent me the wrong version of the ring and it was an expense and a hassle.

preludervtec

by preludervtec

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 pm
kervelo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 pm
I think we will see many gravel bikes with Rival AXS levers & brakes and Eagle GX AXS rear derailleur.
Definitely. Sram is also selling it aftermarket as a bundled mullet groupset.
Do you have a part number for this bundled mullet groupset? Or the source for this info?

I plan on ordering this exact setup for a budget mullet build.

Shrike

by Shrike

pmprego wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:11 am
kervelo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:53 am
For many riders it does not matter, if the total weight of the new SRAM Rival AXS groupset is on the heavy side. The bikes are not always built using the full groupset. When upgrading some old groupset to AXS often just the levers, brakes and the rear derailleur are needed and the extra weight in these components is not much.
Sram is playing it nice here. On one hand there is the appeal of eletronic gruppo. Then it gets you higher critical mass and future upgrade sales down the line. "you want to lose some weight? just swap a cassette and chain or a crankset."

The overall compatibility is a huge benefit and sales boost. In some years time to what do you upgrade? Probably sram too.
Right, this is how it goes.

I've upgraded most of my AXS Force to AXS Red in less than 10 months.

Just the chain, FD and shifters left. Will get chain if I see it on sale and other parts if they break down.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

pmprego wrote:
Sram is playing it nice here. On one hand there is the appeal of eletronic gruppo. Then it gets you higher critical mass and future upgrade sales down the line. "you want to lose some weight? just swap a cassette and chain or a crankset."

The overall compatibility is a huge benefit and sales boost. In some years time to what do you upgrade? Probably sram too.
The upgrade market is tiny compared to the OEM market. So sales boost will be minimal. The vast majority buy new bikes.

pmprego

by pmprego

darrydonds wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:34 pm
pmprego wrote:

The upgrade market is tiny compared to the OEM market. So sales boost will be minimal. The vast majority buy new bikes.
As prices continue to rise the market will have at some point to start looking at upgrades and similar. It will not keep on increasing indefinitely. No market does. When that point is reached sram will have a strong ecosystems of interchangeable parts. That's a plus no matter what.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

pmprego wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 pm
As prices continue to rise the market will have at some point to start looking at upgrades and similar. It will not keep on increasing indefinitely. No market does. When that point is reached sram will have a strong ecosystems of interchangeable parts. That's a plus no matter what.
I love what SRAM has done with the ecosystem. Yes there are compromises, but that will happen with any manufacturer.

Here is a hypothetical for you (not you specifically pm!)

While racing, I crash my bike and destroy my Red AXS RD.
Australia isnt a huge market so it could be conceivable that a replacement isnt readily available.
With the AXS ecosystem, I could now purchase a RIval RD to get me back on the road till a Red RD is available and then swap out when the right part is available

Is that possible with Shimano? I have no idea, I'm asking the question

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Andrew69 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 pm

Is that possible with Shimano? I have no idea, I'm asking the question
yes pretty much
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

teknolog

by teknolog

Tifosiphil wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:06 pm
Answered my own question, NX cassette for gravel setup. £100, wide range, AXS shifters with a GX AXS rear derailleur means you can go hydraulic, wireless, wide range for around £800
Yes that is an option, but not quite what I'm looking for. 50T is overkill for my use case.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

pmprego wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 pm
darrydonds wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:34 pm
pmprego wrote:

When overall demand starts to level off, the bike market will reign in price increases accordingly. Bike manufacturers aren't new at this. They are not increasing prices to troll you. It's the demand. Right now, money grow on trees with all the money printing (thus real estate, stock market, crypto/NFT craziness) and bike demand is exploding due to the pandemic; coupled with major global shipment disruption, bike prices have nowhere to go but up.

Standalone groupset market may see a brief spike due to current severe bike shortage but it won't be a permanent trend. People want the shiny new bike, just like most people are perfectly happy switching to a new phone every two years or buying a new computer instead of upgrading the hard drive. Piece-meal upgrades will remain the affair of a minority of enthusiasts.

cveks

by cveks

Entry Level Road Groupset which costs 1463 euros?

No rim brake version?

Road bike lovers are not "all" millioners.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

For the millionth time. It's not SRAM's, or anyone else's, entry level, you can still get many mechanical groupsets below this.

If you allow for inflation road bikes are miles better in performance and general function than they were when I started 15 years ago.

Yes, I'm slightly upset that when I started it wouldn't have been impossible to go out and buy a top-of-the line machine but now the relative price is such that I couldn't afford it.

I would like SRAM to continue making light, elegant and affordable mechanical groupsets but clearly they don't think that is a good strategy in the marketplace and it's hard to argue with them. They are going to let Campy do the light and elegant bit and Shimano do the affordable.

If you don't want SRAM Rival AXS then no-one is holding a gun to your head to force you to buy it for 1463 Eur; but it's a strong product launch when you view it in the right context.

talltales

by talltales

cveks wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:09 am
Entry Level Road Groupset which costs 1463 euros?

No rim brake version?

Road bike lovers are not "all" millioners.
True, - And is that really far off Ultegra DI2 that Id much rather have?

To me wireless is like having the car tailligts battery driven cos you cant be botherd installing the wire :-) Its a one time job and a wired DR is likely to be cheaper, lighter and much less bulk. At least to my eye the SRAM stuff looks cheap and bulky. Heck, even my Tiagra 4700 group is more elegant, and lighter, im sure.

RDY

by RDY

Mechanical is probably more expensive to make, definitely more expensive to engineer, OEM market doesn't like it, and cyclists are prepared to pay up to double for a product (electronic) that's actually cheaper.

I'd be surprised if there's another top of the line mechanical groupset from Campag, let alone SRAM & Shimano. From what I've heard, Force mechanical is potentially on the chopping block too for next gen. I think it's undecided at Shimano whether R81xx mechanical will come to market or not (it certainly won't happen soon) - they may just keep R8000.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

R8100 cranks, cassettes, chains, etc. are going to R8170 complete bikes. I'd guess R8120 bikes start trickling out late winter / early spring.

by Weenie