Sram Rival AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

The claim of rival axs weighing 900 grams more than 105 is far off. 105 is being compared with a smaller cassette and it's 11 speed. Battery weight also probably not accounted for. Wait until it actually arrives before comparing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DaveS wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 am
The claim of rival axs weighing 900 grams more than 105 is far off. 105 is being compared with a smaller cassette and it's 11 speed. Battery weight also probably not accounted for. Wait until it actually arrives before comparing.

Also probably including the extra weight from the power meter.

spartan

by spartan

so Sram Rival just f**** Force sales. diff in weight is around 200gm. price diff is HUGE

SRAM Force eTap AXS 2x 12spd HRD Groupset
$2,695.00
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

gmbike

by gmbike

Bit porky really,

Ultegra mechanical ftw

MagicShite

by MagicShite

spartan wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 am
i luv how the Sram fan boys don't mention the elephant in the room. weight. Sram Rival is so close to Force why spec Force vs Rival and upgrade the wheelset.

"Naturally, Rival AXS is heavier still, adding almost 200 g on top of that already sizable pile, bringing total claimed groupset weight up to a substantial 3,155 g — about 600 g heavier than Shimano Ultegra Di2 Disc, and roughly 900 g heavier than a Shimano 105 mechanical disc groupset."

is this a typo?

600g heavier than ultegra di2
900g heavier than a 105 mech disc

shouldn't it be the other way round?

g32ecs

by g32ecs

spartan wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:07 am
so Sram Rival just f**** Force sales. diff in weight is around 200gm. price diff is HUGE

SRAM Force eTap AXS 2x 12spd HRD Groupset
$2,695.00
If that is all you can make this back with upgrading a few things. 200gms is nothing and I love that!

I like what SRAM did here. Shiet when can I afford a bike again...

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:38 am
spartan wrote:
i luv how the Sram fan boys don't mention the elephant in the room. weight. Sram Rival is so close to Force why spec Force vs Rival and upgrade the wheelset.

"Naturally, Rival AXS is heavier still, adding almost 200 g on top of that already sizable pile, bringing total claimed groupset weight up to a substantial 3,155 g — about 600 g heavier than Shimano Ultegra Di2 Disc, and roughly 900 g heavier than a Shimano 105 mechanical disc groupset."

If weight is a concern, swap the cassette and crankset... same thing with Force vs Red. The other components are distinguished by other features like the omission of the fluid damped clutch in the RD, the cage material, the lack of aux connectors or contact point adjustment in the levers.

I could easily see someone running a Rival RD, Force FD, Red cassette, Red cranks and Rival shifters/calipers.
This. This kind of thinking is at the core of weight weenism, and the fun part of it. In speccing a bike, you compare weights and prices to calculate the marginal costs of weight savings. You also have to consider where weight savings can be made. My bikes have Force FDs because the Red is about only 10g lighter to my recollection, and Red cassettes because, while the price is much higher than Force (or Ultegra), the cassette is one of the best places to save substantial weight. Fortunately SRAM mechanical (my current setups) and SRAM AXS are largely interchangeable inter sese so you can mix and match.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

teknolog

by teknolog

Tifosiphil wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:18 pm
So now I want to know, what's the cheapest cassette I can run with this setup?
I'd love to know that too. In particular, a workable cassette for the HG body on my 650 gravel wheels.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

WW was the first place on the interweb where people used actual weights and took all the related (hidden) bits and weights in consideration. Looking at the last pages it became a mess - apples and pears. If you want to compare weights, create a sheet, list the nessecary components including wiring and batteries (if applicable). Then and only then start comparing.

As mentioned, if you filter the porky cranks, upgrade cassettes and maybe chains (for durability), Force, Rival, Ultegra and 105 become even moar awesome and decently light.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:02 am
spartan wrote:

is this a typo?

600g heavier than ultegra di2
900g heavier than a 105 mech disc

shouldn't it be the other way round?
That's what I thought...how could 105 mechanical be 300g lighter than Ultegra Di2?
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

saldegracia

by saldegracia

And sorry, a 12-speed noob question: I have a Red 22 chainset converted to 1x (with the Sram CX chainring) on my gravel bike. Rest of the groupset is Rival 11s mechanical.

Could I keep using the Red chainset with Rival AXS or are the teeth of the chainring too wide?
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am
And sorry, a 12-speed noob question: I have a Red 22 chainset converted to 1x (with the Sram CX chainring) on my gravel bike. Rest of the groupset is Rival 11s mechanical.

Could I keep using the Red chainset with Rival AXS or are the teeth of the chainring too wide?

Officially not recommended, but most 11spd chainrings seem to work. Definitely don't reuse those chainrings with an 11spd drivetrain at any point afteward.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am
saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am

Officially not recommended, but most 11spd chainrings seem to work. Definitely don't reuse those chainrings with an 11spd drivetrain at any point afteward.
Right, interesting, thanks! As far as I am aware there is no 12s chainring for this crankset, or is there?

kervelo

by kervelo

For many riders it does not matter, if the total weight of the new SRAM Rival AXS groupset is on the heavy side. The bikes are not always built using the full groupset. When upgrading some old groupset to AXS often just the levers, brakes and the rear derailleur are needed and the extra weight in these components is not much.

pmprego

by pmprego

kervelo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:53 am
For many riders it does not matter, if the total weight of the new SRAM Rival AXS groupset is on the heavy side. The bikes are not always built using the full groupset. When upgrading some old groupset to AXS often just the levers, brakes and the rear derailleur are needed and the extra weight in these components is not much.
Sram is playing it nice here. On one hand there is the appeal of eletronic gruppo. Then it gets you higher critical mass and future upgrade sales down the line. "you want to lose some weight? just swap a cassette and chain or a crankset."

The overall compatibility is a huge benefit and sales boost. In some years time to what do you upgrade? Probably sram too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com