Campagnolo 11 speed using 34/50x11/36! Yes it can be done with PRE-2015 Athena LC Big Gears on Campagnolo 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smokva

by smokva

Catagory6 wrote: yeah, i have one of those. but the OP stated specifically WITHOUT a road link.
that's what i'm interested in
Sorry, "road link" phraze confused me, I didn't understand that's hanger extender. :noidea:

Unfortunately, there is no standard on derailleur hanger length. So, what works on one frame will not work on the other. It all depends with which hanger has manufacturer designed frameset. I never had enough time to research if there are longer hangers with the same arrangement of screws and shape to fit certain frame, bit if there are this could be a life saver.

Also, not every hub will position sprockets at the same place, if they are more to the inside, derailleur can go up to bigger sprockets. My old Veloce hub and new Record/Bora hubs place sprockets differently for about an mm or two, which is half of the cog pitch.

What can be done to help, but might reduce shifting quality, is:
  1. Change upper pully to the one with less teeth to reduce its radius and create some space between pulley and cog. This usually means to use 10 teeth pulley instead 11. If it is little wide it can be sanded.
  2. Deliberatley bend hanger for few degrees so that angle of derailleur allows more space between upper pulley and last cog. One has to have a good measure here between acceptable shifting experience and needed distance. I have hanger tool and keep my hangers perfectly straight, but when I check other peoples hangers, they are all over the place and still derailleurs are working somehow....so why not use this tolerance to create additional mm or two where we need.
  3. Just use hanger extender. This might give some flex to hanger and also make shifting less optimal.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reippuert

by reippuert

colnagoaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:36 am
Valbrona wrote:Tried 36 sprocket with original 10 speed Record ... poor shifting on biggest sprockets and too much cross chaining.

I much prefer triples.
Yeah the 10 speed rigs I have I use a triple. Or 32 2x max. Ird made a 34 10 speed but sold out a long time ago. If you try 10 speed shimano the spacing is too far off and shifts like crap. 11speed is close enough to match using a shitmano campatible cassette with a campy drivetrain.

NoTe: you have to use the right version of 11 speed campy there are 3 generations of Campy 11 speed and none play nice with a different generation....Frieeky Italian italian engineering at its finest! Lo :D l
To be fair: There are only 2 11-speed generations! pre 2015 and post 2015.

...and pre-2015 rear deraillures has the same cable pull as 10-speed.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

reippuert

by reippuert

cveks wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:44 pm
Campagnolo Potenza Mid cage rear derailleur which handles 11-32T cassettes, with Shimano Ultegra 11-34T cassette. Anyone tried this?

Will work with Miche 13-34 and 14-34. Chain wrap with a 11-34 and a 50/34 compact krank will be too much.
If you run a 53/39 the 11-34 should work.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

Yoaqim

by Yoaqim

reippuert wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:11 am
cveks wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:44 pm
Campagnolo Potenza Mid cage rear derailleur which handles 11-32T cassettes, with Shimano Ultegra 11-34T cassette. Anyone tried this?
Will work with Miche 13-34 and 14-34. Chain wrap with a 11-34 and a 50/34 compact krank will be too much.
If you run a 53/39 the 11-34 should work.
Depends on hanger geometry. On my Canyon Ultimate 50/34 with 11-34 works perfect.

cveks

by cveks

I successfully made Campagnolo Potenza mid cage rear derailleur to work with Shimano CS0-HG800 11-34T cassette, and FSA 53/36 crankset....

Bike is Scott CR1 30

Works great....

So Potenza mid cage rear derailleur can work with 34T cassettes successfuly.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I'm going the other way. I figure if I'm not fit enough to ride a 12-27T cassette, I might as well be on a hybrid bike. And so that's exactly what I'm doing. :lol:

I'm just not liking the massive gaps between gears...
Where has the humble 18T cog disappeared to all of a sudden?! :?
Even some 9 speed clusters had 18T cogs!
Heck, even some 6 speed clusters had 18T cogs. :smartass:
And yet you don't even see them on 12 speed drivetrains now.😟
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

synchronicity wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am
I'm going the other way. I figure if I'm not fit enough to ride a 12-27T cassette, I might as well be on a hybrid bike. And so that's exactly what I'm doing. :lol:
That is fine if you are under 70Kg and want to smash it on every climb, but super easy gears make all the sense for heavy blokes or those who want to save energy on long endurance rides.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:06 am
synchronicity wrote:
That is fine if you are under 70Kg and want to smash it on every climb, but super easy gears make all the sense for heavy blokes or those who want to save energy on long endurance rides.
I'm not. I used to be. But now I'm not. :cry:
I'm just trying to get back into shape so I can ride 'proper' gears again. :lol: :P

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My friend is using an 11-40t cassette and RD-8050-GS di2 mid cage derailleur on his domane. The new gen shimano rd's can shift quite huge cassettes. But his hanger is pretty long too.

We did change the upper pulley to a 10t narrow/wide tooth one to reduce chain deflection. If you don't the smaller cogs shift poorly with a worn in chain.

EBH

by EBH

While we're on the subject of campy RD's.
Don't think it has been answered in here, but will a 2015 chorus RD work with an 11-32 or 12-32 cassette? Also, will it work better with a cassette starting with a 12t rather than an 11t?

smokva

by smokva

EBH wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:53 am
Don't think it has been answered in here, but will a 2015 chorus RD work with an 11-32 or 12-32 cassette? Also, will it work better with a cassette starting with a 12t rather than an 11t?
It probably will work, but also depends on derailleur hanger. As you can see from Campagnolo specs of dropout, there is 4 mm tolerance up-down and 2 mm tolerance left-right. Maybe some frame manufacturers go even outside this tolerances, who knows? This can be difference if it works or doesnt.
Campa_dropout.jpg

AJS914

by AJS914

synchronicity wrote:
I installed a 11-32 cassette (up from a 12-29) and proceeded to break all my PRs on local climb by being able to climb at a higher cadence.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

That's good but more range isn't always what is required/best.
I installed a straight-block 11-19T 9 speed cassette (with triple) and it was a lot faster than the 11-32 it replaced.

EBH

by EBH

smokva wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 pm
EBH wrote:
It probably will work, but also depends on derailleur hanger. As you can see from Campagnolo specs of dropout, there is 4 mm tolerance up-down and 2 mm tolerance left-right. Maybe some frame manufacturers go even outside this tolerances, who knows? This can be difference if it works or doesnt.
Campa_dropout.jpg
Thank you for your reply, smokva. I'll give it a go, and see how it works...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EBH

by EBH

smokva wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 pm
EBH wrote:
Campa_dropout.jpg
Thank you for your reply, smokva. I'll give it a go, and see how it works...