Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lanternrouge

by lanternrouge

Is there any information floating about regarding the next generation of Campagnolo road groupsets? I'm wondering specifically about Super Record EPS disc and whether there will be any updates (mainly shifting and whether 2x13) and when?

micky

by micky

Im still trying to finish to assemble my 12s EPS....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There's always going to be a next generation. I suspect it would be 13 speed. It can't be that difficult to take the Ekar and throw a front derailleur on it. What I would expect them to do is to add even higher gears I do not need.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Slightly off topic, but have there ever been substantial leaks/spyshots/rumors about Campy 12s/13s before the official announcement? They nowadays seems to put more effort into enforcing CDA than releasing a good-looking groupset or a tubeless tire mounting friendly wheels.

edit: I recall Ekar was prematurely listed in some bike shops so we may or may not consider it as a leak.
Last edited by Cemicar on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

Cemicar wrote:Slightly off topic, but have there ever been substantial leaks/spyshots/rumors about Campy 12s/13s before the official announcement? They nowadays seems to put more effort into enforcing CDA than releasing a good-looking groupset or a tubeless tire mounting friendly wheels.
Not sure what you're talking about. I think both the mechanical and electric 12s groupsets look awesome (except for the crank arm maybe) and I don't know when was the last time you tried putting a tubeless on a Campa wheel, but I mounted Schwalbe pros on my wto 45 and it was easier than most mounts on clincher only wheels. I didn't need any tools and pushed them on easily.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Lina

by Lina

Honest question, why would you ever need or want 2x13? Adding more gears doesn't make everything better.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

micky wrote:Im still trying to finish to assemble my 12s EPS....

Ditto mate
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Cemicar wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:35 am
Slightly off topic, but have there ever been substantial leaks/spyshots/rumors about Campy 12s/13s before the official announcement? They nowadays seems to put more effort into enforcing CDA than releasing a good-looking groupset or a tubeless tire mounting friendly wheels.
NDA.. unless you are talking about their aero performance
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Yoln

by Yoln

Cemicar wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:35 am

edit: I recall Ekar was prematurely listed in some bike shops so we may or may not consider it as a leak.
I'm lost, isn't the bora WTO the best looking tubeless wheelset (and easiest to mount by far), and the eps12 the best looking groupset?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

CLEAR

by CLEAR

I would take 1x13.. thats plenty for which each of my bikes wont be used for broad range of gearing. Flat road bike, only get to use large chainring. Vice versa, my climbing and practical longer ride bike, only need somewhat around 1x12 currently.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lina wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 am
Honest question, why would you ever need or want 2x13? Adding more gears doesn't make everything better.
+1 :thumbup:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

lanternrouge

by lanternrouge

Lina wrote:
It's not really about the gears, but having something updated from what I already have on another bike to make them more distinct from each other. Plus, if I'm getting something new, I want it at the start of its product cycle. 13 speeds just seems to be where Camagnolo is going based on Ekar. Staying at 12 with better shifting would work well for me.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I don't have a 12sp yet [most parts are here, some on the way] but I thought better shifting was part of the 12sp now. Is it possible to make better, better?

They could make it better with a different charging port. The one they have now sucks.

As for more gears, of course you don't need 13, but you could argue that you do not need 12 too. If it is possible, why not? Of course, if it does not work right, then that would be one reason not to make it. Not hearing much that the Ekar is bad.

Lina

by Lina

lanternrouge wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:57 pm
Lina wrote:
It's not really about the gears, but having something updated from what I already have on another bike to make them more distinct from each other. Plus, if I'm getting something new, I want it at the start of its product cycle. 13 speeds just seems to be where Camagnolo is going based on Ekar. Staying at 12 with better shifting would work well for me.
1x is what Campy is doing with Ekar. That's completely different from their 2x groupsets. And what are your complaints about the shifting with 12 speed Campy?
Butcher wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:25 pm
I don't have a 12sp yet [most parts are here, some on the way] but I thought better shifting was part of the 12sp now. Is it possible to make better, better?

They could make it better with a different charging port. The one they have now sucks.

As for more gears, of course you don't need 13, but you could argue that you do not need 12 too. If it is possible, why not? Of course, if it does not work right, then that would be one reason not to make it. Not hearing much that the Ekar is bad.
Oh I still have 11 speed on my bikes. So no, I don't need 12 speed. But I often find myself changing cassettes to suit the terrain because the wide 11 speed cassettes don't have a tight gear jumps and the ones with tight gear jumps end at like 25t. Adding one more gear gets you practically the same jumps and all the way to 29t which at least for me is enough everywhere. And at least based on how Campy builds their 12 speed cassettes you could go even bigger range without having the need to change cassettes thanks to the tight gear jumps at the small end of the cassette. Adding more gears doesn't change much to most riders while still adding weight.

That doesn't mean they couldn't improve their current groupset, but I don't see how adding 13th sprocket would in any way improve their current road groups.

For 1x builds 13 is about the number where it starts making sense on road/gravel in my opinion. Below that you've got massive jumps or the range is low. I could see 14 or 15 speed working very well as 1x on the road.

neeb

by neeb

I still have 11sp too and gave 12sp a miss due to weight and the lack of cassette options (and the lack of any evidence for a real performance improvement beyond the mechanical gear cabling, which can be retro-fitted).

So I'm hoping that the next gen. is lighter. That might sell it to me, and I could live with a 13sp 11-29. If it wasn't too heavy. Why can't Campy make a one-piece lightweight cassette like the SRAM 11sp?

Maybe now that Campy have a gravel specific group in Ekar they can go back to focussing on pure-road needs with the next SR/Record/Chorus update.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com