Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
M4lukz
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 am

by M4lukz

New European warehouse, only AR46 for the moment in stock, no customization

by Weenie


User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 3233
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

New gravel wheel day. Got two sets, one for myself and one for my son. 650B XC725 flyweight both front and rear. DT Swiss 240 EXP straight-pull hubs, Sapim CX-Ray, 24H both front and rear. Weight is with rimtape but without valve stem. Very happy with the final weight and quality of the wheelset.

Image

Image

Image

taenojin
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:32 pm

by taenojin

I bought R45 with DT Swiss 350 hub (rim brakes) on Feb 10. "Shipped" March 1, got tracking information on March 8, and received March 23 East Coast USA.

My only concern is that the freehub is draggin in the trainer. it slows down at a much faster rate than my training wheels. Should I be concerned or is there anything I can do about this?

Also when I spin rear wheel on trainer, it doesn't make a uniform sound and wobbles up and down. Again, should I be concerned or is there anything I should do about this? spokes seem fine (they mostly sound the same when i tap them spinning, and the rim spins uniform at lower speeds). Could it be the tube? Again, should I be concerned or is there anything I should do about this? I dont notice it when riding, but I did have problems shifting (almost like the wheel moved from the quick release) after a two hour tempo session in the rain at 20-25 mph.

Other than that, They have about 100 miles already and I really like them. I put 25mm Continental GP5000 (relatively easy to mount, almost didnt use tire lever). They're fast and light. Braking has been pretty good thus far.

I took them out yesterday in the rain on a 800m decent (about 1 hour). I was nervous because everyone says you wont brake well, but didn't think there was much difference from my aluminum brakes. however I didnt go over 25mph for more than 2 minutes just in case.

I can post video/pics if anyone wants. They're on a 2014 CAAD10.

scatsob
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 pm

by scatsob

It’s nice to see people getting wheels in around the time I ordered. LB has been spot on with the communications and I know the wait will be worth it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rides4beer
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

taenojin wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:05 pm
I bought R45 with DT Swiss 350 hub (rim brakes) on Feb 10. "Shipped" March 1, got tracking information on March 8, and received March 23 East Coast USA.

My only concern is that the freehub is draggin in the trainer. it slows down at a much faster rate than my training wheels. Should I be concerned or is there anything I can do about this?

Also when I spin rear wheel on trainer, it doesn't make a uniform sound and wobbles up and down. Again, should I be concerned or is there anything I should do about this? spokes seem fine (they mostly sound the same when i tap them spinning, and the rim spins uniform at lower speeds). Could it be the tube? Again, should I be concerned or is there anything I should do about this? I dont notice it when riding, but I did have problems shifting (almost like the wheel moved from the quick release) after a two hour tempo session in the rain at 20-25 mph.

Other than that, They have about 100 miles already and I really like them. I put 25mm Continental GP5000 (relatively easy to mount, almost didnt use tire lever). They're fast and light. Braking has been pretty good thus far.

I took them out yesterday in the rain on a 800m decent (about 1 hour). I was nervous because everyone says you wont brake well, but didn't think there was much difference from my aluminum brakes. however I didnt go over 25mph for more than 2 minutes just in case.

I can post video/pics if anyone wants. They're on a 2014 CAAD10.
Was that from China or the North American warehouse? Waiting on my shipping info to update once it hits UPS, hate this part. :lol:

My DT freehubs have always been a lil draggy, just how they are, haven't noticed any affects on performance. It'll get a lil better after they break in, but even a set of DT350 hubs that I have with over 10,000 miles on them still do it a lil bit. The sound isn't uniform either, I think it's the way the springs work with engaging the ratchets, always a bit of an oscillating sound. The wheel shouldn't wobble tho, someting sounds off there, either with the tire/tube, or the wheel itself. Cassette tight? QR? I'd def look into that more.

taenojin
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:32 pm

by taenojin

rides4beer wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm
taenojin wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:05 pm
I bought R45 with DT Swiss 350 hub (rim brakes) on Feb 10. "Shipped" March 1, got tracking information on March 8, and received March 23 East Coast USA.

My only concern is that the freehub is draggin in the trainer. it slows down at a much faster rate than my training wheels. Should I be concerned or is there anything I can do about this?

Also when I spin rear wheel on trainer, it doesn't make a uniform sound and wobbles up and down. Again, should I be concerned or is there anything I should do about this? spokes seem fine (they mostly sound the same when i tap them spinning, and the rim spins uniform at lower speeds). Could it be the tube? Again, should I be concerned or is there anything I should do about this? I dont notice it when riding, but I did have problems shifting (almost like the wheel moved from the quick release) after a two hour tempo session in the rain at 20-25 mph.

Other than that, They have about 100 miles already and I really like them. I put 25mm Continental GP5000 (relatively easy to mount, almost didnt use tire lever). They're fast and light. Braking has been pretty good thus far.

I took them out yesterday in the rain on a 800m decent (about 1 hour). I was nervous because everyone says you wont brake well, but didn't think there was much difference from my aluminum brakes. however I didnt go over 25mph for more than 2 minutes just in case.

I can post video/pics if anyone wants. They're on a 2014 CAAD10.
Was that from China or the North American warehouse? Waiting on my shipping info to update once it hits UPS, hate this part. :lol:

My DT freehubs have always been a lil draggy, just how they are, haven't noticed any affects on performance. It'll get a lil better after they break in, but even a set of DT350 hubs that I have with over 10,000 miles on them still do it a lil bit. The sound isn't uniform either, I think it's the way the springs work with engaging the ratchets, always a bit of an oscillating sound. The wheel shouldn't wobble tho, someting sounds off there, either with the tire/tube, or the wheel itself. Cassette tight? QR? I'd def look into that more.
They were from China warehouse. Thanks for the info re: DT Swiss Hubs. Will recheck the tube and cassette.

hartmannce
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pm

by hartmannce

Small update on the wheels (RR56C03d rims with 24-28 holes, DT 350s, and Sapim CX Ray SP spokes). Did a couple of rides on them - according to Strava ~200km. They feel fantastic. But had to take the rear wheel to the local bike shop since noticed that it was less stiff than the front one, while having 4 more spokes. Now everything is OK.

jlok
Posts: 1653
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

hartmannce wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:38 am
Small update on the wheels (RR56C03d rims with 24-28 holes, DT 350s, and Sapim CX Ray SP spokes). Did a couple of rides on them - according to Strava ~200km. They feel fantastic. But had to take the rear wheel to the local bike shop since noticed that it was less stiff than the front one, while having 4 more spokes. Now everything is OK.
What did the shop do with the rear wheel?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

hartmannce
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pm

by hartmannce

jlok wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:43 am
hartmannce wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:38 am
Small update on the wheels (RR56C03d rims with 24-28 holes, DT 350s, and Sapim CX Ray SP spokes). Did a couple of rides on them - according to Strava ~200km. They feel fantastic. But had to take the rear wheel to the local bike shop since noticed that it was less stiff than the front one, while having 4 more spokes. Now everything is OK.
What did the shop do with the rear wheel?
Spokes were tightened in the shop.

Zack89
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:15 pm

by Zack89

emotive wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm
Zack89 wrote:Has anyone tried the AR24 on the road? I have a couple of Carbon-Ti 28h hubs unused and I would like to build a light wheelset for uphill races... thanks!
Yep. 12000km on the gravel bike on AR 24 Extralight laced to DT240 with 28 spokes. 1200g wheelset.

They have a 40psi recommended max so the smallest tyres I have run are 35mm Extralight Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass. At 304g the tyres make for a very light setup.
Thank you very much! I'm exactly planning a setup like this

MrRolandos
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:19 pm

by MrRolandos

We need more LB pictures to overcome my waiting time! Preferable the AR PRO series! Can't wait to get my AR55 Pro

Pumablk
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am

by Pumablk

Just ordered from China - WR50 flyweight, DT 240 EXP, 24h f/r, Sapim CX Ray/Sprint ds rear, no holes, no decals. Now the wait begins.

uquality
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:36 pm

by uquality

Been waiting forever for my WR38, WR50 to be built... hopefully get them in a couple of week.

Anyone run the new width of Conti 5000 30C on the WR's? I'm curious how wide it is on the rim.
Or, I guess is anyone running Conti 5000 32C and have the width measurement?

scatsob
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 pm

by scatsob

uquality wrote:Been waiting forever for my WR38, WR50 to be built... hopefully get them in a couple of week.

Anyone run the new width of Conti 5000 30C on the WR's? I'm curious how wide it is on the rim.
Or, I guess is anyone running Conti 5000 32C and have the width measurement?
Has your WR50 been stuck in “CNC Machining” for the last three weeks like mine?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie


jlok
Posts: 1653
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:30 am

by jlok

scatsob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 am
uquality wrote:Been waiting forever for my WR38, WR50 to be built... hopefully get them in a couple of week.

Anyone run the new width of Conti 5000 30C on the WR's? I'm curious how wide it is on the rim.
Or, I guess is anyone running Conti 5000 32C and have the width measurement?
Has your WR50 been stuck in “CNC Machining” for the last three weeks like mine?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine has just gone to "Sanding" today from CNC. I think ours are in the same batch?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Post Reply