New Canyon Aeroad rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

check6

by check6

tomtom wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 pm
That's (mostly) paint, isn't it? My old Aeroad(s) looks the same....seatpost wise!
Nope, the carbon is worn too. Slightly, but worn. I do use carbon paste per original instructions at every cleaning/re-install.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

The great thing about the internet and forums is that there such a wide variety of helpful viewpoints/experiences both good and bad. But the best thing about the internet is that if you don't like reading the negativity you have the ability to totally ignore it like it never happened, don't respond. There will always be people on forums spouting negativity, doom/gloom and arguing for the sake of arguing, it's in their nature. Not sure if this forum has an ignore option but I find those most helpful. :beerchug:

Hoping to hear good news on the 17th. Also hoping for some good weather so I can get out and ride. :thumbup:

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I don't think anyone needs a recap on forum banter. It's the armchair experts around here people are annoyed by. Especially the ones with little experience, or little clue how things actually work. So yeah, if you don't own the bike and don't know what you're talking about... that's not only annoying but leads to misleading statements and information. Case in point, there is no handlebar concern, only the clamps which hold the STI yet we get to hear a dozen opinions on oval carbon bars, etc etc. I can certainly scroll past but how about you save your keystrokes for when you can insert yourself into the discussion, constructively, instead.
carbonLORD.com

Lina

by Lina

We get to hear a lot of comments about the oval bars because people want to express their opinions. It's literally what forums are made for. And deciding to do something as stupid as oval bars that can't be used with standard STI clamps is something that will get people talking.

spartacus

by spartacus

carbonLORD wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 pm
Case in point, there is no handlebar concern
Canyon literally told y'all to stop riding the bikes after the handlebars snapped in a race and you're here saying there's no handlebar concern? :noidea: I'm not making any claims that they are or aren't an issue but come on dude lmao.

If you want to talk about constructive comments I could offer solid engineering solutions to every one of the problems on this bike but it won't matter since canyon DGAF about what I post on WW so I don't know what would be considered constructive to you :noidea:

Nickldn

by Nickldn

What I hear are a few angry and annoyed Aeroad owners. It's a shitty situation buying a dream bike and then being told not to ride it.

Taking out those frustrations on other forum members and telling them they are out of order for posting their views/comments on the (substitute) Aeroad thread is not going to win them any sympathy though.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

carbonLord really seems like one of the frew lucky ones with no issues.... so far.

In the meantime, the M&A deal is on hold although alredy signed. Roman Köller hasnt seen a single penny yet and price is back to negotiation. This indicates that the issues have been known to Canyon before the relase of the Aeroad and before signing the deal.

Dont kill yourself riding a quick-trick-frame.
Last edited by ViperFFM on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:21 pm
What I hear are a few angry and annoyed Aeroad owners. It's a shitty situation buying a dream bike and then being told not to ride it.

Taking out those frustrations on other forum members and telling them they are out of order for posting their views/comments on the (substitute) Aeroad thread is not going to win them any sympathy though.
New whiny aeroad owners replacing the old S-Works dentists :mrgreen:
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am

Nickldn

by Nickldn

ViperFFM wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:46 pm
carbonLord really seems like one of the frew lucky ones with no issues.... so far.

In the meantime, the M&A deal is on hold although alredy signed. Roman Köller hasnt seen a single penny yet and price is back to negotiom. This indicates that the issues have been known to Canyon before the relase of the Aeroad and before signing the deal.

You're so totally right.

Would also add WW forum may be taking a risk hosting comments (think I've seen one, or two further up the thread) which promote riding a bike after the manufacturer has advised against it. Moderators should look at this carefully.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

spartacus

by spartacus

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:55 pm
ViperFFM wrote:

In the meantime, the M&A deal is on hold although alredy signed. Roman Köller hasnt seen a single penny yet and price is back to negotiom. This indicates that the issues have been known to Canyon before the relase of the Aeroad and before signing the deal.

You're so totally right.

Would also add WW forum may be taking a risk hosting comments (think I've seen one, or two further up the thread) which promote riding a bike after the manufacturer has advised against it. Moderators should look at this carefully.
"we trust canyon's engineers!"

*canyon says to stop riding the bike*

"No, I don't think I will".

I just hope everyone still riding their bikes doesn't actually have a catastrophic failure. I know people like tomtom are going to swoop in and be like look at me I'm still riding the bike and it's fine! So whatever, that's your decision. The cognitive dissonance is slightly painful to behold but hey it would be hard for me to not ride my bike too. That said if I have any doubts about a bike part I just throw it in the trash (looking at you thomson x2 stem) but if it's integral to the bike and can't be replaced that's extremely frustrating.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Again if it were a real recall it would be on Canyons RECALL web site and the US government's. It's not on either

Canyon already faulted an incident with a car and the clamp as being the issue for Van der poels bar failure.

But... you armchair experts keep on chiming in with what you don't know.

Sending a generic email is not how a recall works. A Stop Ride notification from Bicycling Magazine is not how a recall works.

I own the bike...

I am "In the industry" as my handle would suggest. I think I know a thing or two about carbon fiber 😉

So again, I'll leave the real comments for owners and industry folks before I listen to the rants of non owners, non athletes and non bicycle folk.

I'm certainly not listening to canyon marketing or support as they work from home and I doubt half of them even ride bicycles.

You act like it a big deal because you don't understand the problem nor own the bike.
carbonLORD.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:55 pm
ViperFFM wrote:

You're so totally right.

nah man. Freewill.. WW holds no responsibility

my buddy has one.. he rides it. I told him to keep riding it. His seatpost is not too bad so far and no issues with the bars so far.
But Oval is stupid..Canyon gets no pass from me on that.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Oval is stupid.... and you would know with your extensive experience? These bars are the most comfortable yet and again, the oval bar is not the issue, the proprietary clamp is and many of you would know that if you paid attention.
carbonLORD.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 am
These bars are the most comfortable yet and again, the oval bar is not the issue, the proprietary clamp is and many of you would know that if you paid attention.
I wanted to add (before being piled on by the haters), that riding in the drops is extremely comfortable and comes so natural. Much more so than my Ultimate SLX (same exact size frame).

Oh yeah, another 36 miles on her today (with an additional 8 PR's and a 4th place cup). (that should stir up the negative Nancy's). :mrgreen:
Last edited by Cannoli on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

mattap

by mattap

Topic change - I had a "holy *f##k* shit" excitement moment followed by a huge letdown just now. I use a cloud-based real-time monitoring platform to constantly check the Canyon USA site for the Aeroad SLX to be in stock. Been waiting now for months and didn't expect anything for a while, certainly not before March 17.

Lo and behold, about an hour ago, my phone jangles and I get a notification that it's in stock. I ran with gusto to my laptop, and sure enough, there were mediums and smalls in-stock. I immediately grab a medium, enter my payment info, grimace at the California sales tax, and hit "Buy Now."

And then the let-down. It says "item is not available." I immediately called Canyon USA and they confirmed they have no bikes in stock and thought it might have been an error on their end. The rep I spoke to also had no idea about the March 17 statement, which was ... interesting.

One bright spot: He did confirm that Canyon USA has a ton of new Aeroads sitting in boxes ready to ship as soon as the seatpost (and maybe STI lever clamp) issue is resolved, which is good to hear, vs. there are no frames even ready to be shipped.

Screenshot of my very happy turned very bummed moment:
Last edited by mattap on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com