"They're not making their bikes any faster" - an outsider's perspective on weight weenies

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Let's keep it at opposites attract. Otherwither significant other would turn into other significant. If she keeps your WW budget on a leash, don't be afraid to show her this post and threathen her a little. If you need more mental/moral support on how to get the upper hand when it comes to road bikes, I'm available for hire.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

spartacus

by spartacus

Ypuh wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm
Let's keep it at opposites attract. Otherwither significant other would turn into other significant. If she keeps your WW budget on a leash, don't be afraid to show her this post and threathen her a little. If you need more mental/moral support on how to get the upper hand when it comes to road bikes, I'm available for hire.
Oh don't worry I have the upper hand equipment wise, which might not be a good thing since I don't have excuses if she can beat me up a climb. The crazy part is I've offered to buy her a full carbon frame, lighter wheels, etc and she says she'll get mad if I do! She doesn't care about my bikes :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Good. Then just keep her happy. No need to make it any more painful and harm your own goodies in the process.

:mrgreen:
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

stevesbike

by stevesbike

the difference between her bike and about the lightest bike you could ride practically, a 13lb bike, saves about a minute on Alpe d'Huez. The interesting thing to me though is that the light bike just feels so much better subjectively.

ichobi

by ichobi

I think most people on here know that. Making light bike has never been about performance isnt it? , at least not the main focus anyway, unless you are everesting 24/7.

donald

by donald

There are a number of bikes here on ww that one can ride practically that are well below 13 lbs. My 14 year old Ruegamer, 3,218 grams (7.1 lbs) with tubs, 3,495 grams with clinchers, well below 8 lbs. It is very practicle. I ride this bike all year, although a little less in winter. It is, and has been very reliable for me, even on many, many miles on bad roads.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I had 2 5.8kg Parlee's in my past... both were as solid as can be.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

stevesbike wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:04 am
the difference between her bike and about the lightest bike you could ride practically, a 13lb bike, saves about a minute on Alpe d'Huez. The interesting thing to me though is that the light bike just feels so much better subjectively.
Totally agree with you :thumbup:

It's just so that broads aren't like guys when it comes to unnecessary stuff.
It's same with flat screen tvs, cars, motorcycles etc etc.
These bikes and all stuff high and low, it wouldn't exist without guys mindset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

GS100

by GS100

Making a bike (or whole system) lighter whilst keeping the stiffness high is the holy grail, for me - it's not so much about top speed or higher averages it's the feel when you accelerate faster, gives a snappier ride and suits standing on the pedals uphill if you like that. If you race that could make a difference when attacking.

But yes, many have ruined their bikes by creating a super light / impractical noodle

Paperboy

by Paperboy

GS100 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 pm
Making a bike (or whole system) lighter whilst keeping the stiffness high is the holy grail, for me - it's not so much about top speed or higher averages it's the feel when you accelerate faster, gives a snappier ride and suits standing on the pedals uphill if you like that. If you race that could make a difference when attacking.

But yes, many have ruined their bikes by creating a super light / impractical noodle
This. I'm willing to sacrifice 500g for added stiffness... :Trek Emonda enters chat: 😀

themidge

by themidge

I'm definitely happier with my Cannondale at 7kg with clinchers and a power meter than I was when it was 6.56kg with the world's flexiest alloy tubs and a rubbish handlebar shape. But that's only because I was trying to go light on a budget and it didn't really work, if I had stacks of cash I would absolutely be taking it down to a functional and sturdy 6 or 5.5kg

LouisN

by LouisN

Kudos to her.
She's free of so many consuming habits humans have, and she's right about many things...
Stop trying to contaminate her spartacus.
She must be a strong cyclist if she can follow guys in some races. Criteriums ? What cat. ?

Louis :)

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

So she likes to shit on people's hobbies. She sounds fun.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

hannawald

by hannawald

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 pm
So she likes to shit on people's hobbies. She sounds fun.
+1 yeah, who will benefit from this?:) I don't want to hear that:))

Well I know a girl riding more than 5 year old non aero bike with shallow aluminium rims and some 105/Ultegra combo. lock, heavy 1l water bottle, lights during the whole year so a lot of unnecessary stuff making the bike even heavier and despite that pretty fast. But to me upgrading is part of the fun and I like the reactivity of light bikes. As others say it has its limits especially when you are not light yourself. Super light parts don't always work and look the best.

spartacus

by spartacus

LouisN wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:40 pm
Kudos to her.
She's free of so many consuming habits humans have, and she's right about many things...
Stop trying to contaminate her spartacus.
She must be a strong cyclist if she can follow guys in some races. Criteriums ? What cat. ?

Louis :)
She does have a remarkable ability to be happy with what she has, versus chasing the next greatest thing. She used to race men's 4/5 and women's collegiate A. Yes she is cynical and honestly I expected more negativity towards her comments!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com