2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

Jason Osborne will be pro cyclist for Bora after the olympics 🤯

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

BdaGhisallo wrote: Back in 1999, fresh off USPS' first TdF victory, George Hincapie and Christian Vandevelde came to town for a race. Twenty years on I still cannot believe how small they both were. Hincapie looks very big in pics of him riding but in person the man was unbelievably think. And CVV - it looked like I could wrap my hands around his waist and have the thumbs and fingers of each hand touch. Tiny!
I was in a break with Chris Horner for a while. 2008? 2009?

Same thoughts. How is this guy so skinny and so strong? Then, boom, he really put out some power, and he was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Haha, I've had the pleasure (?) of riding with Alberto Contador on a semi-regular basis...I reckon he is about half my size in terms of height/volume/weight ;) When he really puts it down (I am saying that but he was probably still toying with us) I have been able to manage to stay on his wheel in the flat for a while (when I am really in shape that is, now I would not even try...) ...obviously once the road points upwards he is gone...

If you ride behind him his legs don't even look particular muscular or anything...to be honest if I wouldn't know who he was I'd probably think he's just another hobby-rider who takes himself too seriously...still there are soooo many watts in those unimposing legs....
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Funny, I met Jens Voight about 3 mos. after he retired, during a publicity stop in Austin, TX. He signed pictures and took photos with people, and I was impressed by his size. He's a tall guy (hadn't gained any "retirement" weight, that I could tell). He must have been a giant in the peloton (then again, he rode a Trek 60 H1, not far off from what I ride - 60 H2).

micky

by micky

Don't shoot the messenger; Ewan on rim brakes.
By the way they park the bikes, you can understand who earns more.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Giant DK wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 am
Is it only me that would prefer to have a PRO thread that is ONLY equipment/bike/clothes related so we can keep chat about this and all other part of the PRO peloton seperated? For me personal I only come here to get updated on the equipment.
so what, a separate thread to discuss equipment, one for talking about racing, one for BS/doping/whatever? :roll:

can't we just all agree to keep it civil and polite and discuss here ALL things related, like we have been for years? and instead of constant remarks how this has no place here, that is not interesting, etc, just try to resist engaging in stuff you're not interested in? is it that hard really?

edit: and maybe we can all be a bit firmer on dudes who only pop up to say how "this is dumb", "that one's a fool" etc. we all know who they are, so just report them to make mods' job easier, and let ourselves enjoy a diversified yet informative thread? :noidea:
My point was just, that I come to WW to read about bikes and equipment - and nothing else. I especially enjoy the pro tread as newest proto and not released equipment is often spotted here. Everytime I visit I have to scroll through comments about doping cases, crashes in Poland an Sagan`s hairy legs to spot the interesting comments about equipment. The otter comments also belongs here, but I would prefer to filter them away when I only interessed in equipment. I can see otter members agree.
Technical editor at Cykelmagasinet Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

flying

by flying

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:11 pm
Back in 1999, fresh off USPS' first TdF victory, George Hincapie and Christian Vandevelde came to town for a race. Twenty years on I still cannot believe how small they both were. Hincapie looks very big in pics of him riding but in person the man was unbelievably think. And CVV - it looked like I could wrap my hands around his waist and have the thumbs and fingers of each hand touch. Tiny!
Yeah the magic of lycra on a stressed muscle paints a pic in magazines of something strong ( & They are in a specialized way)

Then you see them in street clothes or worse at a beach & they look anemic

First time I saw Alex Zulle without a shirt I thought he was dying of cancer

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

martocom wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:25 pm
Hirschi to UAE now official:
http://www.uaeteamemirates.com/uae-team ... c-hirschi/
The UAE setup (the team run by Beppe Saronni's management company that started out with Lampre sponsorship back in the early 90s) has really risen like a phoenix these last few years. I recall that they were on the verge of extinction just a few years back when they lost their previous title sponsor and the hunt for a new one wasn't looking good. Kudos to them.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is Hirschi just going to be 2nd banana to Pogačar at UAE?

guyc

by guyc

For the Tour maybe, but he's shown he's more than a GT rider. He's a man for the classics. With Kristoff that's a decent pairing.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

HammerTime2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:59 pm
Who wouldn't be?
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

HammerTime2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:59 pm
In a grand tour? Absolutely. One of them has won the TdF and finished on the podium in the Vuelta and the other hasn't gotten anywhere near a GT podium. But in other races there will surely be ample opportunities for Hirschi to get his chance.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pogi won the TdF without the sort of day-in/day-out super-domestique riding from his teammates. The team should have the confidence in him to do it again, which may give Hirschi freedom to chase breakaway stage wins.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:25 pm
Pogi won the TdF without the sort of day-in/day-out super-domestique riding from his teammates. The team should have the confidence in him to do it again, which may give Hirschi freedom to chase breakaway stage wins.
Maybe... maybe not. If you had the choice to have the kind of support for your TdF contender that you describe, you'd surely opt for it right? Pogacar only won the TdF in the manner he did because he didn't have another option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com