New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Neillp
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:22 pm

by Neillp

Lakal wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm
Neillp wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Lakal wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Just received these today from Merlin Cycles . Weight is 216g and 220g. IMG_20201204_165338.jpg
Those are tan wall but not the limited Tdf ones?
Didn't even realize they made them, not even on the conti website?
Yes, and you can get them in 28mm.
I haven't seen this version for sale anywhere else.
Canyon have some pictures of the new speedmax on their webpage with this version of tyres.
[/quote
Interesting, the side walls look as though the coating is clear so you can see the carcass, the Tdf ones were 'painted' cream so were heavier. These ones seem even lighter that the standard black sides walls.
I might have to invest.....

billythestickboy
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:49 pm

by billythestickboy

Lakal wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm
Neillp wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Lakal wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Just received these today from Merlin Cycles . Weight is 216g and 220g. IMG_20201204_165338.jpg
Those are tan wall but not the limited Tdf ones?
Didn't even realize they made them, not even on the conti website?
Yes, and you can get them in 28mm.
I haven't seen this version for sale anywhere else.
Canyon have some pictures of the new speedmax on their webpage with this version of tyres.
This is very exciting news, just what I was looking for. Seems like they are called Classic instead of Cream or TdF special edition.

Very strange that there's not more info out there though. Tweeks also have them, but also out of stock in 25mm

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Neillp
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:22 pm

by Neillp

My 'classic' GP5000 28mm turned up today, they look very smart! Interestingly they did not come in any packaging so maybe these are only being officially sold to bike manufacturers at the moment? Not sure how Merlin got them though if that is the case.

Weight was 241g and 242g
Attachments
tyres.jpg

MikeD
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

How easy are these tires to mount/dismount vs. the older 4000 tires?

I use the 4000S's but like the Vittoria Rubino Pro tires better, so I probably won't even try a 5000.

User avatar
FIJIGabe
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

Neillp wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:01 pm
My 'classic' GP5000 28mm turned up today, they look very smart! Interestingly they did not come in any packaging so maybe these are only being officially sold to bike manufacturers at the moment? Not sure how Merlin got them though if that is the case.

Weight was 241g and 242g
In my experience, buying products from Merlin, they tend to pull everything from the boxes to save on shipping weight/costs. Looks like they're bundled just like the boxes, though.

R0CKETMAN
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:42 am

by R0CKETMAN

Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.

Nickldn
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.
This may be an off topic question, but I am also mulling over the safety difference between clincher and TLR for faster riding. Do you think one is better than the other, if so why?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Yoeleo H10 bars 7.5kg

R0CKETMAN
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:42 am

by R0CKETMAN

Nickldn wrote:
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.
This may be an off topic question, but I am also mulling over the safety difference between clincher and TLR for faster riding. Do you think one is better than the other, if so why?
Negative as I have no time on road TL

My new wheels are TL compatible so I thought I’d try to switch. Just changed my mind with more thought on safety aspects.

In the end I’ve got decades of riding fast descents on tubes with no front blow outs.

morrisond
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 pm

by morrisond

R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:29 pm
Nickldn wrote:
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.
This may be an off topic question, but I am also mulling over the safety difference between clincher and TLR for faster riding. Do you think one is better than the other, if so why?
Negative as I have no time on road TL

My new wheels are TL compatible so I thought I’d try to switch. Just changed my mind with more thought on safety aspects.

In the end I’ve got decades of riding fast descents on tubes with no front blow outs.
What about Revoloop or equivalent?

R0CKETMAN
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:42 am

by R0CKETMAN

morrisond wrote:
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:29 pm
Nickldn wrote:
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.
This may be an off topic question, but I am also mulling over the safety difference between clincher and TLR for faster riding. Do you think one is better than the other, if so why?
Negative as I have no time on road TL

My new wheels are TL compatible so I thought I’d try to switch. Just changed my mind with more thought on safety aspects.

In the end I’ve got decades of riding fast descents on tubes with no front blow outs.
What about Revoloop or equivalent?
Maybe...always thought of the tubolito and such as a spare.

Probably go with a reasonably light butyl.

Robius
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 am

by Robius

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:54 pm
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.
This may be an off topic question, but I am also mulling over the safety difference between clincher and TLR for faster riding. Do you think one is better than the other, if so why?
Check out Schwalbe Aerothan, they claim to use a material that prevents sudden loss of air.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

Nickldn
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

Robius wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:54 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:54 pm
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Got in TL5000s and decided before mounting that I just can’t be comfortable on TLs at 90km/h. I climb a lot.

So 23 5000 Clinchers it is...

To butyl or latex is the next decision.
This may be an off topic question, but I am also mulling over the safety difference between clincher and TLR for faster riding. Do you think one is better than the other, if so why?
Check out Schwalbe Aerothan, they claim to use a material that prevents sudden loss of air.
I'll pass on the Schwalbe Aerothan for now. It's an intriguing option, but repair patches don't seem to be reliable yet, so it could be quite expensive to run.

Certainly one to look out for in the future.

I have run tubs for many years and it's good to know the tyre can't come off the rim under any circumstances. I would like that security from another tyre format alongside the convenience.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Yoeleo H10 bars 7.5kg

frogtape777
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 pm

by frogtape777

billythestickboy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Lakal wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm
Neillp wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Lakal wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Just received these today from Merlin Cycles . Weight is 216g and 220g. IMG_20201204_165338.jpg
Those are tan wall but not the limited Tdf ones?
Didn't even realize they made them, not even on the conti website?
Yes, and you can get them in 28mm.
I haven't seen this version for sale anywhere else.
Canyon have some pictures of the new speedmax on their webpage with this version of tyres.
This is very exciting news, just what I was looking for. Seems like they are called Classic instead of Cream or TdF special edition.

Very strange that there's not more info out there though. Tweeks also have them, but also out of stock in 25mm
This is a great release, although no publicity anywhere. The TDF were heavier than black colour, and the sidewalls almost a fabric, which made them a pig to mount, I sold them on. A black/brown with no wieght gain and soft rubber like normal black GP5000, interests me!

Robius
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 am

by Robius

I was about to buy a pair of 25c classics but they are out of stock now, can't find them anywhere else.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Neillp
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:22 pm

by Neillp

Robius wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm
I was about to buy a pair of 25c classics but they are out of stock now, can't find them anywhere else.
Keep an eye on tweeks cycles stock, they are the only other place I have seen them listed, although their pictures show the limited edition version I am pretty sure they are the new classic version as they lost it in 28mm too.

Post Reply