Canyon Aeroad 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Let's move in here.

What do you think about the folding handlebar? Imo it's a clever idea on paper, but stupid to carry it out. It's the same level of thinking as: "Let's make the frame fold in the middle, so it's easier to travel with." Nice idea for a commuting bike, but not for a race bike.

Release presentation by Canyon partners GCN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVoqiUNVrc
Review: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/2021-ca ... d-comfort/

by Weenie

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I get what you mean about the bar but if it were flexy and crap we’d not see MvdP and Valverde riding them. Canyon also won’t make new moulds to have fully one-piece bars for the pros. The keyed shape also helps keep things stiff. I really like this as total package - aero and reasonably light (if the posted weights are to be believed) and much easier to live with than other integrated bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roaldberghen

by roaldberghen

Pfff the price. 5000 euro for the cheapest di2... gues ill go for the ultimate

DCbiker

by DCbiker

Now we know why Valverde road this every stage. If The DA model is 7.19 kg (15.85 lb), then they could likely get it down to 6.8 w some lighter wheels. (I think he rode the 202s).

sigma

by sigma

JayDee81 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:14 pm
Let's move in here.

What do you think about the folding handlebar? Imo it's a clever idea on paper, but stupid to carry it out. It's the same level of thinking as: "Let's make the frame fold in the middle, so it's easier to travel with." Nice idea for a commuting bike, but not for a race bike.

Release presentation by Canyon partners GCN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVoqiUNVrc
Review: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/2021-ca ... d-comfort/

Any idea what "reach + " refers to in the geometry (I am assuming stack plus is the max height allowable from the steerer adjustments)? Also, not sure what the tire clearances actually are (they mentioned 25/28 for what it comes with....)
S-works Tarmac SL6
S-Works Venge
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod 2016 (miss it very much)
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

DCbiker wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:35 pm
Now we know why Valverde road this every stage. If The DA model is 7.19 kg (15.85 lb), then they could likely get it down to 6.8 w some lighter wheels. (I think he rode the 202s).
6.8 for complete bike is not really in the cards, but somewhere close to 7, yeah, sure. It's light enough.

My mind is still blown though with that cockpit. If it proves to be stiff enough, they've really outdone everyone here. The only wildcard is the stem length, which if you need to adjust.... well, you're just out of luck.

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Tire clearance is 30mm.

Also, CP0018 cockpit (standard) is a -6°
Pro-fit CP0015 cockpit will be available later with a -17°

JPuerto

by JPuerto

Do we have any info about getting a CF SLX frameset?

wrenegade

by wrenegade

edit: double post.

naylor343

by naylor343

I am all for innovation and totally love the idea behind the new cockpit, however, I cannot help feeling that one of the most heavily used future threads across all bike forums will be the thread entitled; How do I stop the maddening creaking from my aeroad bars?

Maximilian

by Maximilian

sigma wrote:
Any idea what "reach + " refers to in the geometry (I am assuming stack plus is the max height allowable from the steerer adjustments)? Also, not sure what the tire clearances actually are (they mentioned 25/28 for what it comes with....)
I was wondering that too and had the same thought. Maybe the reach+ is at the hoods? It's quite a lot longer

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Don't get why the frameset ships with Red AXS levers and calipers pre-installed. Is that much of a pain to route the hoses that they don't dare let a customer do it themself, even though someone who buys a frameset ought to know what he is getting himself into? :shock:

Aside from that, very nice bike though it feels like Canyon's pricing is approaching what the other big brands are charging…

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

JPuerto wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:40 pm
Do we have any info about getting a CF SLX frameset?
It looks to me like the CFR and SLX framesets are the same (Ultegra version weight specs difference is what you'd expect from just swapping out the groupset). So if you want a frameset - it's CFR. Which ain't cheap, to be perfectly honest. Complete bike is good value for money compared to the competition; frameset alone is basically where everyone else is for the top tier stuff.

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:45 pm
Don't get why the frameset ships with Red AXS levers and calipers pre-installed. Is that much of a pain to route the hoses that they don't dare let a customer do it themself, even though someone who buys a frameset ought to know what he is getting himself into? :shock:

Aside from that, very nice bike though it feels like Canyon's pricing is approaching what the other big brands are charging…
This was my thoughts exactly. i was looking for the cfr frame only but i would rather ride 105 than "*f##k* SRAM" to quote a famous pro video.

by Weenie

pmprego

by pmprego

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:45 pm

So people who buy the frame only are stuck with sram?!