Bora WTO

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
neeb

by neeb

Madone69 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm
IMG-20200920-WA0001.jpg
Now that is a nice bike..

Red WTO logos! Are they new for 2021 or just for him?

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Maybe WTO Ultras? Not yet obtainable for us mortals.

by Weenie

kevinw

by kevinw

JKolmo wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:09 pm
Maybe WTO Ultras? Not yet obtainable for us mortals.
I'd be surprised if all the pros were not already using the "ultra" bearings in their WTOs.

Madone69

by Madone69

neeb wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 pm
Madone69 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm
IMG-20200920-WA0001.jpg
Now that is a nice bike..

Red WTO logos! Are they new for 2021 or just for him?
Pro teams get special colors....Movistar had blue decals when they rolled on Campagnolo

jarm

by jarm

Hi, my first post here. Read most of the comments, but not all of them. It's a long thread :)

How would the WTO 60s work for a heavier rider? I'm around 90kg, not with a huge belly but just a bigger more muscular guy. Should I be worried about crosswinds?

I'm deciding between WTO 60 and 45, they would be my everyday training wheels. I live near a coast but on a flat area, so not worried about climbing or fast curvy descents. Sometimes it can get windy and there are crosswinds when riding. How stable would the WTO 60s be for a heavier rider in crosswinds (around 5-10m/s, 11-22mph)?

Thanks,
Joe
Last edited by jarm on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

As a heavier guy you would certainly have an easier time controlling them in wind than a lighter guy. The WTO line are pretty solid though as much as you can be. I am 150lb and had to do a fair bit of training on 55s. Not my preference but no real issues to be honest unless I'm riding no handed in gusty wind.

The 60s are a fun wheel.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

jarm wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:36 am
Hi, my first post here. Read most of the comments, but not all of them. It's a long thread :)

How would the WTO 60s work for a heavier rider? I'm around 90kg, not with a huge belly but just a bigger more muscular guy. Should I be worried about crosswinds?

I'm deciding between WTO 60 and 45, they would be my everyday training wheels. I live near a coast but on a flat area, so not worried about climbing or fast curvy descents. Sometimes it can get windy and there are crosswinds when riding. How stable would the WTO 60s be for a heavier rider in crosswinds (around 5-10m/s, 11-22mph)?

Thanks,
Joe
I'm 64kg, and have ridden my WTO 60 wheels in some pretty windy conditions. They handle the crosswinds great for my weight, and nothing like my Lightweight Gen 3 wheels. You should not have any issues at your weight, unless it is a hurricane out.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg)

sfo423

by sfo423

Is the WTO Bora 45 DB the same rim as the Fulcrum Speed 40 DB minus the 5mm? Better hubs on WTO? I’m seeing WTO cheaper on bike24 (than WTO).
Last edited by sfo423 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NLC86

by NLC86

At the end I went for the WTO 33 and I'm super happy. Superb stiffness, great handling (especially in cross-wind) and of course secure braking. My rim wheelset with Shimano freewheel weights 1420gr.

jarm

by jarm

Thanks @itsacarr and @voung05. That's good to hear. I think I'll give them a try. I can get a complete set for around 1400 euros. Probably can sell them for around the same price, if for some reason I shouldn't like them.

Another question, how would the WTOs compare with the new ARC DBs? They weren't available before, but now my local dealer has them listed.

Also what do you think about ASTM classification? Interestingly ARCs are ASTM 1 while WTOs are 2. Would the WTOs be more durable?

Thanks,
Joe

shotgun1

by shotgun1

I've been using Bora One DBs for a few months, but I discovered a line crack right by the valve area. My LBS lent me a pair of new WTO45s till they sort out the warranties and I must say the difference is definitely there. I've always liked lower profile wheels for the look, but I'm almost at the point of asking to just keep these and pay for the difference.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

dookietwo

by dookietwo

I would like to ask you on rim versions of the WTO wheels (33 or 45). Would you take them to the big hills of eg the Italian dolomites on the passo Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo? Would it be safe from the point of view of heating the rims or in the case of wind and rain? Would you rather recommend tubs or tubless?

I have been to these hills several times and have had alloy Campagnolo Zonda wheels. I've never had carbon tires in this big hills. Do you have any experence with clincher wheels in big hills?

Thanks,
John

neeb

by neeb

dookietwo wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm
I would like to ask you on rim versions of the WTO wheels (33 or 45). Would you take them to the big hills of eg the Italian dolomites on the passo Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo? Would it be safe from the point of view of heating the rims or in the case of wind and rain? Would you rather recommend tubs or tubless?

I have been to these hills several times and have had alloy Campagnolo Zonda wheels. I've never had carbon tires in this big hills. Do you have any experence with clincher wheels in big hills?

Thanks,
John
I've no direct experience of these wheels in mountains yet, but I would say that if any carbon clincher wheels are suitable for these conditions it would be the WTOs. Campagnolo's carbon wheels have been tested to destruction under braking-induced heat by Tour magazine and found to be completely robust under any real world conditions (admittedly these were the previous Boras but I can't imagine these would be any worse), while the braking on the AC3 surfaces in the wet is probably the best available on carbon rims. Also tyres are a reasonably tight fit on the rims making blowouts less likely I guess.

by Weenie

JKolmo

by JKolmo

For Stelvio, Mortirolo and Gavia I choose tubulars. Everyday of the week. Preferrably Bora 35s. The WTOs stay at home.

Edit: maybe I should mention that I do not run DB. Rim brake only.