Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

I'm considering the Caledonia as my easier/Z2 day bike, where I want comfort to be a little higher up on the priority list...but not to the point that it feels like pedaling a sofa through mud.

I've been using my Aspero with 28c tires for that purpose, and while it performs extremely well on the road, it's not exactly the most compliant bike out there. (I do think that the seatpost is the main culprit, though)

On paper the Caledonia sounds perfect, but if the ride isn't noticeably more comfortable than the Aspero, than it's probably not worth getting...it does look like a damn fine bike, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

jmfreeman535 wrote:I'm considering the Caledonia as my easier/Z2 day bike, where I want comfort to be a little higher up on the priority list...but not to the point that it feels like pedaling a sofa through mud.

I've been using my Aspero with 28c tires for that purpose, and while it performs extremely well on the road, it's not exactly the most compliant bike out there. (I do think that the seatpost is the main culprit, though)

On paper the Caledonia sounds perfect, but if the ride isn't noticeably more comfortable than the Aspero, than it's probably not worth getting...it does look like a damn fine bike, though.
Before you buy a Caledonia invest $150 in some some supple 35mm tyres, either Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass Extralights, or if you can’t find those, Pirelli Cinturato or Panaracer Gravelkings. They will up the comfort level and not cost much in aero, certainly nothing you will notice in Z2 rides. Id be surprised if that doesn’t up the comfort to the extent you question the need for a different bike.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

emotive wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:21 am
Before you buy a Caledonia invest $150 in some some supple 35mm tyres, either Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass Extralights, or if you can’t find those, Pirelli Cinturato or Panaracer Gravelkings. They will up the comfort level and not cost much in aero, certainly nothing you will notice in Z2 rides. Id be surprised if that doesn’t up the comfort to the extent you question the need for a different bike.
I have a set of 35c Hutchinson Overrides that I use for my light gravel/mixed terrain days, and yes, they do up the comfort level significantly. But I'm just not a fan of tires that wide on the road.

In all honesty, I don't need more comfort (even my R5 is fine in that department)...It's more like I'm just looking for an excusse to get the Caledonia.
Last edited by jmfreeman535 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Double

notadentist

by notadentist

GF is looking for a new road bike, I suggested the Caledonia as an option due to the hybrid race/endurance geometry probably being a good middle ground between stiffness/compliance for longer rides than we currently do. Can anyone comment on experience riding the 105 model, which fits within our budget? Is there another bike we should also be strongly considering around the $3k pricepoint? Thanks :)

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

notadentist wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 pm
GF is looking for a new road bike, I suggested the Caledonia as an option due to the hybrid race/endurance geometry probably being a good middle ground between stiffness/compliance for longer rides than we currently do. Can anyone comment on experience riding the 105 model, which fits within our budget? Is there another bike we should also be strongly considering around the $3k pricepoint? Thanks :)
Hi notadentist

Caledonia looks a cracking bike, just thought i would chime in re 105 model, I have latest 105 (R7020) on my gravel bike, and I think for the money it is
pretty much the best combination of value/quality groupset out there. The only thing I would add is the shifter hoods are quite big if you are used to
say Ultegra/Dura-Ace sized ones or have smallish hands. Other options for you might be: Giant Defy / Cannondale Synapse or CAAD13 / Focus Paralane /
Canyon Endurace / BMC Roadmachine / ROSE Reveal / Scott Addict, to name a few.
Bikes:
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Has anybody taken delivery of one yet? Does it come with the Mudguards or does one has to order them seperatley. Or does one have to use another brands fenders?
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

maquisard

by maquisard

woodyvalentine wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:54 am
Bad photo.
Build:
Red axs full
Easton ec90 aero 55
Waiting for parts.
Also building an Aspero with Axs + Easton EA90 wheels.
Can you please post details phoros of the D-shape steerer and brake line routing? Any padding around brake lines to prevent rub and internal damage to steerer or frame?

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

It includes hydro hose tubular foam padding. I haven't gotten to the point of routing it yet. But the foam padding will likely stop before the headset. And then after the headset inside the stem would kind of be an optional one. You could just stick a foam sponge in there too if it's rattling. I used the same foam liner on my Aspero since it came with it there too. The fork isn't flat in the front and is concave. And the stem has the same concave profile. It's a little different than the Ridley one where you can use a normal stem because they have a shim to take up space on the front side. Not at home so can't take photos. I don't think there'd be any damage anywhere. And the front hose just would get taped against the steerer - so could use some there if you wanted. And since the stem and the steerer move together the hoses really aren't going to pinch much.
Last edited by woodyvalentine on Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Delete - double posted

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Here's the manual. Check out the stem and steerer profiles + routing instructions.

https://www.cervelo.com/media/gene-cms/ ... l_2020.pdf
Last edited by woodyvalentine on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

Thanks woodyv for all that useful infos :thumbup:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

alexneumuller wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:03 pm
Has anybody taken delivery of one yet? Does it come with the Mudguards or does one has to order them seperatley. Or does one have to use another brands fenders?
It comes with a mount kit for classic strutted fenders. It doesn't come with fenders and AFAIK Cervelo don't make any.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Are the Caledonia and Caledonia 5 completely different bikes? They have different tubing whereas the normal Caledonia look more like an R-series and the 5 model more like an S-series, but are there any other major difference or riding experience?
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Same geometry and almost entirely the same tube shapes. Cal-5 has a hidden cable system and Cal doesn't. Cal-5 has d-shaped seatpost and Cal doesn't (like R5 vs R3). Cal has threads for bolt on top tube bag, Cal-5 doesn't. Cal-5 has better carbon.