Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

i just realized Factor is a consumer direct brand, so wtf is it no expensive. for 5500 usd for a frameset i would go sworks tarmac.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilson

by gwilson

Factors are sold in stores. They have ordering on their site, but so do a lot of brands (like Trek) that wouldn't be considered consumer direct brands.

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

Any compelling reasons to avoid this bike? I'd be getting the frameset package and building it up with ultegra di2 with quarq cranks.

This bike ticks a lot of boxes - lightweight, aero, tire clearance, great cockpit integration and nice paint jobs. Pricing in Aus is at or better than competing options (e.g. addict/foil, SL7, supersix, emonda). But I am a bit nervous about buying a bike that has not really been road tested very much...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bluebottle81 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:41 am
Any compelling reasons to avoid this bike? I'd be getting the frameset package and building it up with ultegra di2 with quarq cranks.

This bike ticks a lot of boxes - lightweight, aero, tire clearance, great cockpit integration and nice paint jobs. Pricing in Aus is at or better than competing options (e.g. addict/foil, SL7, supersix, emonda). But I am a bit nervous about buying a bike that has not really been road tested very much...
I wouldn't hesitate. The company is solid, the guys running are decent blokes, customers seem all very happy with their purchases, and the engineers have a good track record of bike design. And if you are in Australia, all the better. Also it won't be that long until we have some real world feedback if you are hesitant.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

GeoffS

by GeoffS

bluebottle81 wrote:
Pricing in Aus is at or better than competing options (e.g. addict/foil, SL7, supersix, emonda).
Really? What sort of Aus prices are you talking about ? I paid about AU$6.5k for an Addict RC Di2 last year (list price at the time was around $7.3k). Isn't the bare frameset for the Ostro around US$5.5k (= AU$7.6k) ?

tinozee

by tinozee

Seat stays are so thin geez.

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

GeoffS wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:34 am
bluebottle81 wrote:
Pricing in Aus is at or better than competing options (e.g. addict/foil, SL7, supersix, emonda).
Really? What sort of Aus prices are you talking about ? I paid about AU$6.5k for an Addict RC Di2 last year (list price at the time was around $7.3k). Isn't the bare frameset for the Ostro around US$5.5k (= AU$7.6k) ?
In Aus they have a pre-order deal with frameset/bars for ~A$6k and a force axs build with power for ~A$10k. Nice thing also is they can swap out components for different sizes etc.

The base addict model isn't exactly what I'm after so I'd have to buy a few more components (integrated barstem, power crankset, cassette, wheels) which would add another ~$4,000 to the cost. And its about $800 more expensive now vs last year. All in I think the factor would be similar or a bit cheaper and end product would likely be a bit lighter and (maybe?) more aero.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

What is the Ostro comparable to in another brands portfolio? The One being even more aero and the O2 VAM being super light, is this like the Domane Koppenberg and Roubaix Team Edition?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

corky

by corky

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:39 pm
What is the Ostro comparable to in another brands portfolio? The One being even more aero and the O2 VAM being super light, is this like the Domane Koppenberg and Roubaix Team Edition?
Well if you follow the marketing it's a 'quiver killer' ie. doitall, so halfway house between aero and lightweight, the only other bike that is following this marketing direction is the SL7.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If you can only own one bike and you like Factor, the Ostro it is. If you can own separate aero/climbing/bling bikes, than you can choose the others

I don't regret getting my early gen VAM as my light bike because of its minimal paint and standard seatpost and I prefer my Darimo cockpit over heavy integrated cockpit. If I can get an aero bike, I'll actually go for the One tbh, their recent blue paintwork looks amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Back off on the Emonda and go for Ostro?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:42 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Nah, although I really like the bare carbon paintjob. I like the more classic look of the Emonda better. Also, Factor have never been to a wind tunnel with the bike, which is kind of questionable. Probably still a very good bike.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Pato

by Pato

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:42 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Nah, although I really like the bare carbon paintjob. I like the more classic look of the Emonda better. Also, Factor have never been to a wind tunnel with the bike, which is kind of questionable. Probably still a very good bike.
Most probably the reason why they've never been to a wind tunnel for frame testing it's because it's freaking useless, and with no standard protocols you can actually prove whatever you want. it's just marketing material for fools.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Wind tunnel time seem to cost alot of money, so that's why most seem to rely on CFD only?

It would be interesting to hear an honest answer if bikes really need to be designed in a wind tunnel.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I don't know if bikes "need to be developed" in a wind tunnel, but I also wouldn't say it's useless. My position Adaptation in the wind tunnel has been to great effect in the Real World.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg