2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 317

reedplayer

by reedplayer

maybe manufacturer "specialized" is already anticipating/creating the next trend. consider, they have the smartest marketing department possible.

and where take the most popular fights in pro-bike-sports place? what rider-types are our favorite bike heros of the past and present? which are the most important stages of the tour? yes, its all about the mountains! a bike, that can be marketed as a pure climbing machine still fit the picture, regardless of the 6,8 kg weight limit.

and: of which kind are the most-popular "races", or call it "marathons", for hobbyists, at least in europe? (ÖRM and Maratona)

i see a lot of marketing-potential here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

this time they'll partner with Lotus and run a "add more lightness" campaign and once more it will be "lightness is everything" /s

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

ryanw wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:10 am
Why would it have been published on the UCI list if it's non-UCI compliant...
The complete bike might be, doesn't mean you can't build the frame up to be compliant. (Given that the frame meets the form factor requirements!)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

21 Sep launch
Disc brake
Sub 600g frame
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Karvalo

by Karvalo

FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:13 am
so someone mentioned a spesh Ethos and we have a Vaunt on the UCI list. two bikes?
When was the Vaunt on the UCI list? It's not on the current one that was updated 2 days ago.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

ryanw wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm
21 Sep launch
Disc brake
Sub 600g frame
FACT 28.99R

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

A light bike 😮😮
This will be an incredible product, nothing more impressive than a light bike!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:44 pm
FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:13 am
so someone mentioned a spesh Ethos and we have a Vaunt on the UCI list. two bikes?
When was the Vaunt on the UCI list? It's not on the current one that was updated 2 days ago.
About 3 days ago. There is/was a screenshot of it in the "SL7" thread.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

dedaciai wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 pm
I heard from a little birdie that the new "UCI Illegal Specialized" will be called the "Ethos" and will be noticably below the UCI legal weight limit. It'll have minimal aero cues and be all about being below 6.8kg.
Is that a handful of shi%? :D Profile pic made me chuckle.

A true WW bike then! I'd be a sucker for a lightweight semi-aero disc brake bike.

Funny how the bike industry marketing pendulum swings back and forth between aero and lightweight.
Last edited by Cpritch20 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 pm
Oh yes, a bike, more aero than the Venge and lighter than the current Tarmac wouldn't be product I would want to have in my portfolio if I were Spesh. Specialized invested millions to develop the SL7, and further millions to have pros around the world ride the bike and win races on it. That is the ultimate marketing to "legitimize" what they developed. Now putting out a bike that is "better in every way" than the "best in every way" would completely undermine what they did with the SL7. Also, they have to push marketing solely through their own channels, as their pros will never ride it. If I were a pro, I wouldn't be happy riding a brands second best.
Not arguing, but didn't they just pull a complete about face (180 degrees) on tubeless wheels. Last year was highlighted with all sorts of fanfare and justification on how tubeless and their new tires were the future. Yet, only 12 months later, they've abandoned tubeless for new clincher designs on the SL7. As others have mentioned, the marketing machine will continue to spin and convince people that the latest is the greatest and people will clamor to buy up all of the new bikes/gear.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

stringbean wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:14 am
Specialized Vaunt
Release end September
How pissed would SL7 buyers be if they released a similar bike that wasn't UCI approved, but blew the weight restriction away? Can't imagine they'd do that to their customers.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

ryanw wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm
21 Sep launch
Disc brake
Sub 600g frame
For clarification, are you suggesting September 21, 2020, or September 2021? There was another post that suggested September of this year.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

This year. I'm British. We write the date the correct way ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ryanw wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:21 am
It’s actually one of the least practical formats to sort by.

YYYY-MM-DD being most logical
MM-DD-YYYY is the above except shifted one position to put less emphasis on the year (since we use annual cycles for nearly everything.)

If you use DD-MM-YYYY in filenames and then sort by name it would be a friggin’ mess.
If you use nested folders in the order of DD/MM/YYYY to catalog files, it would also be very messy.

Unniti

by Unniti

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:29 am
ryanw wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:21 am
It’s actually one of the least practical formats to sort by.

YYYY-MM-DD being most logical
MM-DD-YYYY is the above except shifted one position to put less emphasis on the year (since we use annual cycles for nearly everything.)

If you use DD-MM-YYYY in filenames and then sort by name it would be a friggin’ mess.
If you use nested folders in the order of DD/MM/YYYY to catalog files, it would also be very messy.
No, MM/DD/YYYY makes no sense in any situation. US is the only place that uses it. DD/MM/YYYY or YYYY/MM/DD are the ones that make sense. Start with a year if you're dealing with computers in any way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com