Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Visqu

by Visqu

I don't see any point in going with those one piece units on the Aspero, the bb area is already a one piece tube where you press in the applicable bb.

Not really any misalignment there to remedy imho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

gSporco wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:51 pm
Peabody wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 pm
Just got back from my LBS.
The Non-Drive Side bearing was totally fubar'd - no sign of water infiltration - just looks like a crap bearing.
Drive Side was completely fine.
Decided against the GRX crankset for now as I would like to swap out the BB for a Hambini unit. Unfortunately, he appears to be out of stock, will wait till I can order one of his units.

My LBS put a new bearing in while I was there (super awesome of them) and I am back on the road again.
Honestly checkout the BBinfinite BBs. They are absolutely awesome and quality is top notch! I sprung for the ceramic and it spins forever and its nice and stiff
Timely. The bottom bracket on my Aspero is creaking like a haunted house floor when I lay on the power. It's an Easton (to match the Easton crank), I'll take your advice on the BBsideways eight :D
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

gSporco

by gSporco

Stendhal wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:19 am
Timely. The bottom bracket on my Aspero is creaking like a haunted house floor when I lay on the power. It's an Easton (to match the Easton crank), I'll take your advice on the BBsideways eight :D
I didnt have much luck with my Easton BB on my last bike. It was stiff from the start and was crunchy after 1000k
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Stendhal

by Stendhal

gSporco wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:58 pm
Stendhal wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:19 am
I didnt have much luck with my Easton BB on my last bike. It was stiff from the start and was crunchy after 1000k
As Scooby Doo would say, "ruh roh." I just purchased the BBi for my Aspero but still have an Easton bracket on my Orbea, which is coming up on 1000k....
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

gSporco

by gSporco

Stendhal wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:11 pm

As Scooby Doo would say, "ruh roh." I just purchased the BBi for my Aspero but still have an Easton bracket on my Orbea, which is coming up on 1000k....
Awesome, did you rent to press tool from them? It works perfectly. Also, i cut my BB out using there recommend dremel bit for $11. I didn't like using the sockets to unthread them as i felt it would scratch the frame.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Stendhal

by Stendhal

gSporco wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:45 pm
Stendhal wrote:

Awesome, did you rent to press tool from them? It works perfectly. Also, i cut my BB out using there recommend dremel bit for $11. I didn't like using the sockets to unthread them as i felt it would scratch the frame.
I'm close to a mechanical klutz, I can change cassettes or stems but wouldn't try a bottom bracket. Have to rely on the (very busy, booked a month in advance) professionals.

gSporco

by gSporco

Stendhal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:26 am
gSporco wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:45 pm
Stendhal wrote:

I'm close to a mechanical klutz, I can change cassettes or stems but wouldn't try a bottom bracket. Have to rely on the (very busy, booked a month in advance) professionals.
That stinks, if we lived closer I would do it for you. I haven't returned the tool yet. But I think we are on different coasts
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

savechief

by savechief

Could use some sizing help from those that own Asperos. I'm currently on a Felt F3X (size 57) and am trying to decide between a 56 and 58 Aspero. I'm 184cm (about 6' 1/2") tall.

Stack
Felt = 587
Aspero 56 = 580
Aspero 58 = 605

Reach
Felt = 406
Aspero 56 = 397
Aspero 58 = 406

I'm currently running a 100mm/-8 stem on my Felt, which has a 20mm headset top cap, and I'm assuming an 8mm top cap for the Aspero in the following calculations. To best match my Felt setup with the 56cm Aspero would require a 110mm/-8 stem and 15mm of spacers. To best match my Felt setup with the 58cm would be a 100mm/-8 stem (same as my Felt), no spacers and I'd still be about 6.5mm higher with the bars on the Cervelo (which I honestly would not complain about). The problem is, my shop mocked up a 58cm Aspero next to my Felt (I didn't see the two side-by-side, unfortunately) and the owner said that the Aspero looked significantly bigger, noting in particular that the handlebars weren't as low (which the math tells me is true) and that the standover on the Cervelo was much higher, despite the numerical standover value on the 58cm Aspero actually being 1mm lower than my Felt.

I'm curious what size bike those around my height went with. Thanks.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

gSporco

by gSporco

savechief wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 pm
Could use some sizing help from those that own Asperos. I'm currently on a Felt F3X (size 57) and am trying to decide between a 56 and 58 Aspero. I'm 184cm (about 6' 1/2") tall.

Stack
Felt = 587
Aspero 56 = 580
Aspero 58 = 605

Reach
Felt = 406
Aspero 56 = 397
Aspero 58 = 406

I'm currently running a 100mm/-8 stem on my Felt, which has a 20mm headset top cap, and I'm assuming an 8mm top cap for the Aspero in the following calculations. To best match my Felt setup with the 56cm Aspero would require a 110mm/-8 stem and 15mm of spacers. To best match my Felt setup with the 58cm would be a 100mm/-8 stem (same as my Felt), no spacers and I'd still be about 6.5mm higher with the bars on the Cervelo (which I honestly would not complain about). The problem is, my shop mocked up a 58cm Aspero next to my Felt (I didn't see the two side-by-side, unfortunately) and the owner said that the Aspero looked significantly bigger, noting in particular that the handlebars weren't as low (which the math tells me is true) and that the standover on the Cervelo was much higher, despite the numerical standover value on the 58cm Aspero actually being 1mm lower than my Felt.

Im not your height; Im 5,7" But let me say this.. I come from the school of thought that you fit yourself to the smallest frame you feel comfortable in. Logic for this: You can always lengthen the stem, Seatpost and Forward/ Aft position.. However, when you size up you can only go shorter..

At 5,7" barefoot I "could" have gone with a 51cm however the 48cm frame fit perfect and allows me to run a 100+cm stem for roadie mode and always go shorter for long days of offroad while scooting the saddle back..

That all being said, I feel the 56 would be the better choice over the 58.. The Aspero is prety much an R5 on steroids, slightly beefier frame with wider clearance tires.. Look at the new Caledonia, even that bike has more relaxed geometery than the Aspero.. Dare I say 1 bike to rule them all similar to the 3T and the Open which I put all in the same category..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

tomato

by tomato

savechief wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Stack
Felt = 587
Aspero 56 = 580
Aspero 58 = 605

Reach
Felt = 406
Aspero 56 = 397
Aspero 58 = 406

I’m exactly the same height, and I’m on a 58 Áspero. I wouldn’t want to go smaller.

savechief

by savechief

Can you give me an idea of your current 58cm Aspero setup, such as saddle height, spacers, stem, etc? What aspect of the 56cm Aspero makes you say that you wouldn't want to go smaller?

Thanks.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

tomato

by tomato

savechief wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm
Can you give me an idea of your current 58cm Aspero setup, such as saddle height, spacers, stem, etc? What aspect of the 56cm Aspero makes you say that you wouldn't want to go smaller?
I don't know the saddle height off the top of my head, but it has a 100mm -6° stem with a 1 cm spacer under it. If I removed the spacer it would closely emulate the fit of my road bike.

gSporco

by gSporco

Build almost complete.
Currently sitting at 16.8lbs/ 7.62kg

Raodie Mode Build Spec:
48cm Framset
Sram Force AXS levers
Sram Force AXS calipers
Sram Crossline 160mm rotors
Sram Red AXS Crank arms
Wolftooth 44t Chainring
Bbinfinite ceramic BB
Sram Force AXS RD with Wolftooth roadlink
Sram Force AXS 10-36t cassette
Easton EC90 SLX 38cm Handlebars
Uno lite with Ti bolts 100mm
Niner RDO 0 setback seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Ti saddle
Enve 4.5AR with Industry 9 hubs
JL thru axles
Gravelking Slick 32mm
Shimano ES-600 pedals
Chinese Carbon cages

I would like to get it to 16lbs/ 7.2kgs with farsport wheels and a lighter seatpost, but i think thats about as light as it will get and I am pretty happy with that

Need some seatpost recommendations
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Bikedude135

by Bikedude135

gSporco wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:26 am
Build almost complete.

Raodie Mode Build Spec:
48cm Framset
Sram Force AXS levers
Sram Force AXS calipers
Sram Red AXS Crank arms
Wolftooth 44t Chainring
Bbinfinite ceramic BB
JL thru axles
Gravelking Slick 32mm
Shimano ES-600 pedals
Chinese Carbon cages

I would like to get it to 16lbs/ 7.2kgs with farsport wheels and a lighter seatpost, but i think thats about as light as it will get and I am pretty happy with that

That thing's a beauty! Are you ever bothered by the gear gaps in the cassette? I tried 1x in roadie mode but had to go 2x because the gearing was so wacky. I recommend the Ritchey Superlogic post. It's about 145g and has a lot of built in flex to take the edge off.

gSporco

by gSporco

Bikedude135 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 am
gSporco wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:26 am
Build almost complete.

Raodie Mode Build Spec:
48cm Framset
Sram Force AXS levers
Sram Force AXS calipers
Sram Red AXS Crank arms
Wolftooth 44t Chainring
Bbinfinite ceramic BB
JL thru axles
Gravelking Slick 32mm
Shimano ES-600 pedals
Chinese Carbon cages

That thing's a beauty! Are you ever bothered by the gear gaps in the cassette? I tried 1x in roadie mode but had to go 2x because the gearing was so wacky. I recommend the Ritchey Superlogic post. It's about 145g and has a lot of built in flex to take the edge off.
Yes, it's taking a lot of getting used to with the gaps. Im cadence sensitive and my original 2x setup from my Niner was a dream. Then chasing simplicity and the clean look has brought me from the eThirteen 9-46 then eagle 10-50 both with eagle derailleur and they were almost unbearable for roadie use (keeping the later for trail days).
The 10-36 is a lot better in the low gears with the 1 tooth jumps but climbing gets funky.

Thanks ill check out the Ritchey seatpost
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com