2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

ancker wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:47 pm
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 pm
Also, they have to push marketing solely through their own channels, as their pros will never ride it. If I were a pro, I wouldn't be happy riding a brands second best.
Most pros actually don't give a shit beyond their marketing oblications. As long as it fits and works.
Most pros for 10+ of the last 20 years haven't been riding the brands best, lots of substitutions to bring the weight up, even at frame/fork level.
(The 10 yrs between the UCI weight limit instroduction (2000) and the gradually increasing weight with discs and fokus on aero)
I mean, I retireed before the UCI limmit was introduced, buit the team bikes I have raced at masters through the 00s were mostly over a kilo heavier than what ever personal bike I had. And (mostly) 4 or 5 models down from the brands halo model. No carbon bars/stem/seatpin/saddle, steel skewers and so-on. And I had bikes weighed several times.
Didn't Cancellara pretty much ride only the Domane the last couple years of his career?
Not the lightest, not the fastest(aero), but more comfort meant more speed for him.

Most pros ride what they're given. Some have the clout to request alternatives.

Probably it was just easier to fit the electric motors into that frame :lol:
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

cubixthe

by cubixthe

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:17 pm
MyM3Coupe wrote:You left out another piece of crap Asian open mold frame with dropped seat stays. I'm in such suspense. Lolz
So edgy ....

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Maybe a Durianrider fan? :D lol...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

This bike will be most likely to cost more than SL7, which is already awfully overpriced...

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

otnemem wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 pm
They're not touching the Shiv for a while, that's for sure.
Why is that?

ichobi

by ichobi

Nobody buy tt bikes. Its the least sellable bikes for any brands. Thus the cycle for new model is 6-8 years. This is true for all brands. It is a very niche product. More so than tri bike.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Mikedb wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:28 am
otnemem wrote:
Why is that?
Don't know about the Shiv Tri, but the Shiv TT was released for sale 8 months ago and it is fantastic (nimble, light, fast, comfortable).
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

otnemem

by otnemem

Mikedb wrote:
otnemem wrote:
Why is that?
It's super recent and checks all the boxes that have to be checked both in the Tri and the TT versions.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mikedb wrote:
otnemem wrote:
Why is that?
Because it is brand spanking new, no-one replaces TT bikes that quickly, and the last one stayed in the range for years and years and years?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 am

Because it is brand spanking new, no-one replaces TT bikes that quickly, and the last one stayed in the range for years and years and years?

It's been rumored that Trek tried to make a faster Speed Concept and failed spectacularly, so the rim-brake model from 2014 persists...

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:53 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 am

It's been rumored that Trek tried to make a faster Speed Concept and failed spectacularly, so the rim-brake model from 2014 persists...
That generation of "fatty" aero TT bikes with rim brakes is likely going to stay the fastest for quite a while. Rotating disc rotors, brake calipers that are not hidden from the wind, not-ultra-deep tubes and wider rims have their merit, but are not as fast in a straight line.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

1llum4

by 1llum4

dolophonic wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 pm
it will be crazy light ..
A full kilo below the UCI limit would be nice but I am hoping for more...

Nooga

by Nooga

I'd never buy a UCI illegal frame unless I was doing triathlons, and I hate running so that's never going to happen. Like it or not, they've been the arbiters of what constitutes a proper bike, and when you go outside of that, what's to stop you from getting a velomobile?

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Nooga wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 am
I'd never buy a UCI illegal frame unless I was doing triathlons, and I hate running so that's never going to happen. Like it or not, they've been the arbiters of what constitutes a proper bike, and when you go outside of that, what's to stop you from getting a velomobile?
not wanting to ride a recumbent is what stops me. that said, i don't care about what other people think about what i'm riding. you can ride an upright bike w/ 700c wheels and still push the envelope.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

As we all know, bikes have existed below the UCI weight limit for years. An S-Works SL-7 with weight weenie tubulars replacing the stock clinchers could probably drop a pound right there, and go under the UCI weight minimum so I don't think it will be about weight.

I think it will be a new Venge or at least a new aero road drop bar bike for Roadies that just want to go as fast as possible, and aren't concerned with UCI racing rules. It will incorporate many of the illegal tri-bike technologies. It will have aero fairings over the discs. Maybe a combined front fender/aero fairing over the top 1/3 of the front wheel. Only 1 fork leg. No seat tube and seat stays (like the old aero "beam" bikes & some the modern tri-bikes). A refined, miniature clip-on aero bar so Roadies aren't just leaning their wrists on the bar tops without holding on to anything (a revised Spinacci). Or maybe a new type of road drop bar that incorporates that extra position into the bend without the need for a clip-on. Bigger tube profiles than 3 to 1. Maybe a rear disc mixed with a 40mm front rim (or even a front 3 spoke wheel). In-frame Storage built into aero structures. 1X gearing with an aero fairing on the front of the chainring. Water bottle mounts built
halfway into the downtube for better aerodynamics. Revert to a 1 inch steerer tube for reduced frontal area.
And a red Hyperspace button.
Last edited by roadytracky on Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stringbean

by stringbean

It exists
Lightweight road bike but more traditional design.
No paint no decals