2021 BMC Teammachine

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Really dont like the looks of that stem. The bottle integration is pretty smart.
Regarding the weight:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/bmc-teamm ... 21-review/

Here a 56 with Red AXS weighed in at 6.86kg. Seems a lot more realistic, and is pretty much bang on the same as the new Emonda (that to my eye looks a little faster).
Last edited by FlatlandClimber on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.8kg
Open WI.DE (2019) - 8.5kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Æthos (2021) 6.4kg
Trek Émonda SLR9 (2021) 6.9kg

*all weights include pedals, computer mounts, speed sensor, and bottle cages.

by Weenie

timmerrr

by timmerrr

That Ui2 bike is really pretty! With Full Dura Ace DI2, some 35-40mm light wheels (~1300g) this frame could be a really great option for an all arounder at or under 6.8kg

slake21

by slake21

viking76

by viking76

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Those claimed weights are impressive when you compare them with the outgoing models. Looks like the MY21 are around 200g lighter than the MY20 of similar build. If the new weight is including that integrated bottle cage, then that's really impressive. More integration, less weight??

What really catches my attention is this:
All new ICS2, with significant weight savings, high stiffness, clean aesthetics and integrated device mounts for the most popular devices.

I'm hoping the ICS2 is backwards compatible with the existing bikes!
ICS2 yes , ICS carbon no...

Ettore

by Ettore

viking76 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:55 pm
iamraymond wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Those claimed weights are impressive when you compare them with the outgoing models. Looks like the MY21 are around 200g lighter than the MY20 of similar build. If the new weight is including that integrated bottle cage, then that's really impressive. More integration, less weight??

What really catches my attention is this:
All new ICS2, with significant weight savings, high stiffness, clean aesthetics and integrated device mounts for the most popular devices.

I'm hoping the ICS2 is backwards compatible with the existing bikes!
ICS2 yes , ICS carbon no...
Wouldn’t they have the same spacer shape though?

Bukem

by Bukem

Stem and spacer detail:

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

would be nice if cycling magazines had a suite of wheel and tire combinatons to test a frame....may give a better indication of stiffness and compliance when using different tires...

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

carbon doesnt like sharp edges right? although impressive, i wonder how much weight is added just to keep a vestige of BMC's 90s-stealth-fighter design language. the new spesh epic is the zenith of design; completely "melted", almost generic look.

so many good bikes now, and so much convergence of design. getting harder to differentiate as a brand.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the red stem and bars. Looks really sharp in my opinion. I do kind of wish they'd taken it a step further and gone red with the bartape, but I suppose that would be easy enough to fix. In a way the bike reminds me of the 2015 cervelo R5, where the entire top tube was colorblocked to the rest of the frame, almost like it was dipped in red. The paintjob was pretty divisive at the time but I loved it. Still love it.

I don't think we see enough variation in bar/stem color. I personally think it's refreshing to see that level of integration come along with a bit of customization. Especially with how non-customizable bar/stem combos and seatposts are on a lot of bikes these days. If you're going to sell a bike that has to be used with your proprietary parts, I like the idea of considering the entire frame module as a single unit for design. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Honestly if I weren't so happy with my RCA I might be tempted by this. Pretty impressive weight savings from the previous iteration as well.

latsride

by latsride

Kazyole wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 pm
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the red stem and bars. Looks really sharp in my opinion. I do kind of wish they'd taken it a step further and gone red with the bartape, but I suppose that would be easy enough to fix. In a way the bike reminds me of the 2015 cervelo R5, where the entire top tube was colorblocked to the rest of the frame, almost like it was dipped in red. The paintjob was pretty divisive at the time but I loved it. Still love it.

I don't think we see enough variation in bar/stem color. I personally think it's refreshing to see that level of integration come along with a bit of customization. Especially with how non-customizable bar/stem combos and seatposts are on a lot of bikes these days. If you're going to sell a bike that has to be used with your proprietary parts, I like the idea of considering the entire frame module as a single unit for design. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Honestly if I weren't so happy with my RCA I might be tempted by this. Pretty impressive weight savings from the previous iteration as well.
Yeah, the more I look at the photos, the more it's growing on me. Maybe it's the bold execution of the red that's not sitting well with me, but I do get what they're trying to do here. Hard to tell if it's glossy or matte though.

Unniti

by Unniti

Kazyole wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 pm

I like the red stem and bars too. It's a really tempting bike tbh, and the colors look great.

skidrrr

by skidrrr

I like that they made consistent trail number across all sizes.
This is a good trend if you ask me who rides small sizes.
Kudos to BMC

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

This could be a contender for my next bike except for several issues. I don't have an issue with the coloring, etc. I do have an issue with the huge stem stack. Maybe they have spacers installed on the bike in the pictures. But my first reaction is beach cruiser not Superbike. Then there are the wheels. To me it looks like they decided to cut corners and cost. The wheels alone would force me into a frameset VS a complete build. Finally for around the same price you can get a comparable bike that comes with a power meter. As a stand-alone issue power meter or no power meter is not an issue. However throw the fact that both bikes are very close in price and it becomes an issue for me.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

at the integrated stem is like -12.5.. but stack looks 45-50ish.. not much more then a normal stem stack
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

by Weenie