2021 BMC Teammachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

6.4 would be crazy light. Not sure how they accomplished that. Do they have it equipped with some ultra light hoops like the Mon Casseral an TT tires (like Canyon Evo) or something? I mean it's 300 - 400g lighter than the new Emonda.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:25 pm
6.4 would be crazy light. Not sure how they accomplished that. Do they have it equipped with some ultra light hoops like the Mon Casseral an TT tires (like Canyon Evo) or something? I mean it's 300 - 400g lighter than the new Emonda.
Wheels will be probably a version of those you mention (I know they're 24mm deep), so that's already some 100-150 grams saved. The rest of the savings, that I don't know where they come from, but maybe saddle, maybe ultralight tubes or even Tubolitos (Wilier did it on their top of the range Zero SLR, IIRC).

I find it a bit counterintuitive, to be honest. They make a bike with aero concepts and then they spec it with very shallow wheels. Might be great fun as a pure climbing bike, but 24mm deep wheels will not be faster in any other condition other than extremely steep hill climbs.
I think this is exactly what Specialized will do with the SL7, they'll have one specced with the Rapide and one with the Alpinist just to show that they can get it to be light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ettore

by Ettore

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:00 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wheels will be probably a version of those you mention (I know they're 24mm deep), so that's already some 100-150 grams saved. The rest of the savings, that I don't know where they come from, but maybe saddle, maybe ultralight tubes or even Tubolitos (Wilier did it on their top of the range Zero SLR, IIRC).

I find it a bit counterintuitive, to be honest. They make a bike with aero concepts and then they spec it with very shallow wheels. Might be great fun as a pure climbing bike, but 24mm deep wheels will not be faster in any other condition other than extremely steep hill climbs.
I think this is exactly what Specialized will do with the SL7, they'll have one specced with the Rapide and one with the Alpinist just to show that they can get it to be light.
Could you suggest a more suitable BMC model to be specced as a pure climbers bike? Because the way I see it, if you can keep the weight down, a frame with aero performance is in any circumstance a good idea. Aero will be everywhere!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Ettore wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 pm
robeambro wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Could you suggest a more suitable BMC model to be specced as a pure climbers bike? Because the way I see it, if you can keep the weight down, a frame with aero performance is in any circumstance a good idea. Aero will be everywhere!
I don't know why you need a "pure climbers bike" in the first place. Teammachine was one of the earlier models to veer off that course of lighter lighter lighter. A wheel like the Mon Casseral is fun and all as a case study of "how far can we go?", but not really a great product as your one wheelset. If you have several sets, they are all good and well.
It just doesn't really make sense for me, to on one hand go for the "now more aero" approach with integrated cableing, and even integrated bottlecages, but on the other hand go for ultra shallow wheels.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

robeambro wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Mon Casseral are officially 1266g and Bontrager RSL 37 are officially 1325g. I really don't know where they made those crazy weight savings.
I completely agree, that specing those wheels makes little sense.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

robeambro

by robeambro

Ettore wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 pm
robeambro wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

As already mentioned, a deeper wheelset (say, 40-45mm) will pay only a moderate weight penalty whilst being faster virtually *everywhere* barring very, very, very steep climbs.

Now, if the game is to have the lightest climbing bike, congrats, the BMC is specced greatly. If the game is to build the fastest climbing bike, then those wheels make little sense. It's just a marketing exercise to get the lightest disc climbing bike, same as the former Emonda SLR 10.

Ah, for reference - the Roadmachine would make far more sense to be specced with those wheels, and yet it features Enve 4.5's. :roll:

robeambro

by robeambro

Plenty of pics have surfaced. Hurry and save them, you can thank me later. haha

https://www.bdc-mag.com/forum/t/bmc-on- ... st-6708752

card0s

by card0s

Pretty cool!
They ditched the ICS to a one piece bar/stem, looks nice, but I guess it is not that great for aftermarket bar swaps.
The integrated bottles do not seem that bad.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Can someone post them on here as can't get them to enlarge on the other site
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Screenshot_20200715-121755.png
Screenshot_20200715-121727.png

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Damn you BMC! That looks great.. will have to see the bottle cages in the real world as they ruined the TMR for me
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

robeambro

by robeambro

Ritxis wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:26 am
Screenshot_20200715-121755.pngScreenshot_20200715-121727.png
Looking at the first pic, it's difficult not to see a V3rs. Seems quite similar from this angle.

Woland

by Woland

ajcav86 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:30 am
Damn you BMC! That looks great.. will have to see the bottle cages in the real world as they ruined the TMR for me
I saw this bike (same colourway) in person and didn't even notice the bottle cages, but then again I'm not the most detail focused person.

The bike looks great to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think SL6, new Emonda, VR3 looks just same same.....
Aka boring!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.