cervelo r5 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TQ1

by TQ1

I can't really see what Cervelo would do on a new frame. Dropped seat stays, put the aero front end on from the S5... maybe alter the integration. Alter the tube shapes to be more aero as Trek have done on the Emonda.

I have a 2019 rim frame (warranty replacement for a 2011!!).

I don't like the mechanical cables looping over and going in the top tube on the 2019 frame, I'd prefer around the HT. With etap it would be great, my budget doesn't stretch that far, I'm running Force 22.

I've not had any other issues, the rebuild was easy, seat tube doesn't slip, no BB noises (using C-Bear Ceramic cross version). Fits 28-30mm tyres. Went through an OE headset bearing quickly but replaced and made sure the new one was greased plenty and it's been fine since.

themidge

by themidge

That fade is a crime, they should have stopped the red with a hard line like literally everywhere else on the bike. Otherwise it's a very nice colourway, 8/10 would ride :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

young

by young

will be available on s5 and p5 too

cshong88

by cshong88

Kind of nuts that the current Di2 R5 disc bike is selling for less than the "R-series" Force eTap bike, technically an R3 with a lower tier groupset. If Cervelo isn't releasing a new R5 update, I wonder why the prices are slashing so drastically? Any ideas on when they might release the 2021 R5 even if it's just a paint update?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

On the North American B2B site, Cervelo had only one full R5 Disc bike spec listed for 2021 last week (and the new incoming bike as well ;) ), plus the Sunweb frameset (already pictured in this thread). While R5 Disc could hold its own quite well against the old Emonda and Tarmac SL6 (especially with the pricing now), with both of those being updated, R5 remains interesting only for those who either really want a Cervelo or want a "cheap" (still highly competent & fine bike, but definitely not the most exciting) high end frameset.

So either Cervelo are going to pull something out suddenly or they're content in playing the long game (in which case the R5 is going to land probably mid 2021).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

robeambro

by robeambro

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 am
On the North American B2B site, Cervelo had only one full R5 Disc bike spec listed for 2021 last week (and the new incoming bike as well ;) ), plus the Sunweb frameset (already pictured in this thread). While R5 Disc could hold its own quite well against the old Emonda and Tarmac SL6 (especially with the pricing now), with both of those being updated, R5 remains interesting only for those who either really want a Cervelo or want a "cheap" (still highly competent & fine bike, but definitely not the most exciting) high end frameset.

So either Cervelo are going to pull something out suddenly or they're content in playing the long game (in which case the R5 is going to land probably mid 2021).
To be honest the cable routing behind the stem on the current R5 was already horrible in comparison to older bikes (old Emonda, SL6, etc), now that they're all integrated, it's all the more evident. I suppose no biggie for eTap users.

Even discounts may not make it that much more palatable when more or less similar discounts are available on the SL6 (while stock lasts), not to mention that if the objective is to build a "cheap high end bike", one may also find heavily discounted MY2020 bikes of all kinds (eg SS EVO).

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

TQ1 wrote:I can't really see what Cervelo would do on a new frame. Dropped seat stays, put the aero front end on from the S5... maybe alter the integration. Alter the tube shapes to be more aero as Trek have done on the Emonda.

I have a 2019 rim frame (warranty replacement for a 2011!!).

I don't like the mechanical cables looping over and going in the top tube on the 2019 frame, I'd prefer around the HT. With etap it would be great, my budget doesn't stretch that far, I'm running Force 22.

I've not had any other issues, the rebuild was easy, seat tube doesn't slip, no BB noises (using C-Bear Ceramic cross version). Fits 28-30mm tyres. Went through an OE headset bearing quickly but replaced and made sure the new one was greased plenty and it's been fine since.
Yeah, I saw mechanical wiring for the R5 rim and was like, ehhh. I'm gonna go eTap Force AXS (since it's black) and eTap Red Crank. Still figuring out chainring specs front and rear.

cshong88

by cshong88

Well looks like Cervelo released their 2021 R-series today with color and component changes. I heard from LBS that they were going to do away with the R5 and just brand everything as the R-series. I hope we can expect a 2021 R-series with the previous R5 frame at the very least specced at the Dura-Ace level in the coming days/weeks!

Daveke

by Daveke

There's a new kid on the block coming from Cervelo ;)

Hold your breath for 2 more days

achin

by achin

I have seen a picture of the new bike. It is very nice. Looks like a fully integrated R5 with dropped seat stays from what i remember

Daveke

by Daveke

achin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:43 pm
I have seen a picture of the new bike. It is very nice. Looks like a fully integrated R5 with dropped seat stays from what i remember
Exactly, but some other features too you haven't seen from a picture ;)

achin

by achin

You know what the MSRP will likely be around?

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

achin wrote:I have seen a picture of the new bike. It is very nice. Looks like a fully integrated R5 with dropped seat stays from what i remember
Will look like every other bike out there now. Dropped seatstays do stiffen things up as well as drops some weight, but you lose comfort. I guess if you want comfort go with the R-Series is what Cervelo is saying...So official release is in a couple days?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Daveke wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:48 pm
Exactly, but some other features too you haven't seen from a picture ;)
Cervelo dropping BBright? :lol:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daveke

by Daveke

achin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:17 pm
You know what the MSRP will likely be around?
I know I've ordered a full SRAM Force etap bike with Quarq and Carbon wheels for 7699 RRP in euro's

Still has BBRight as far as I know.

This bike is set away as Cervelo's most comfortable bike in the whole line of bikes.