2021 BMC Teammachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

AlgaeHater wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 pm
I hated the fact that the aero module added 500g to my Timemachine. I subsequently removed the storage case and was still stuck with relatively heavy bottle cages. I also disliked the weird appearance of the downtube/BB area without the case.
I understand a lot don't like it. But, it's also important to note that it's becoming quite clear that weight isn't nearly as important as once thought for pure speed.

Unless you're going up a steep (5-10%+) grade, the aero savings of that module is going to do far more for your speed than the weight savings from two normal cages and two normal bottles. And let's be honest, if you spend most of your time going uphill at under 8 mph, you're not going to be buying any BMC.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Pukutis

by Pukutis

JMeinholdt wrote:
AlgaeHater wrote:
I hated the fact that the aero module added 500g to my Timemachine. I subsequently removed the storage case and was still stuck with relatively heavy bottle cages. I also disliked the weird appearance of the downtube/BB area without the case.
I understand a lot don't like it. But, it's also important to note that it's becoming quite clear that weight isn't nearly as important as once thought for pure speed.

Unless you're going up a steep (5-10%+) grade, the aero savings of that module is going to do far more for your speed than the weight savings from two normal cages and two normal bottles. And let's be honest, if you spend most of your time going uphill at under 8 mph, you're not going to be buying any BMC.
At the end of the day BMC has to convince the future Customer community that the aero benefit is greater than weight penalty....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latsride

by latsride

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:53 pm
AlgaeHater wrote:

Hmm, I can't imagine getting a Teammachine and NOT riding up 10%+ roads. That's the whole point of the bike. It will be disappointing if the weight doesn't drop by a good margin. I've been riding BMCs only for the last decade and miss the light weight of the older Teammachines every day. Canyon and Factor got the lightweight aspect covered on their disc bikes. It's not a race to the ultimate lowest weight, but hopefully BMC keeps up at this point.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

The Teammachine, to my knowledge, has never been an out and out climbing bike. It's always meant to be an all rounder bike. With that said, however, I would expect the Teammachine aero module to be less porky than the Timemachine version. We'll see when it's released.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:53 pm
AlgaeHater wrote:

Around my area 5-7% grade is a false flat if anything. I would hardly call 5%-10% steep. I would be very hard-pressed to find a route that did not have numerous climbs exceeding 12%-14%, if not more.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

Any pictures? Has anyone seen it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bukem

by Bukem

What to expect for an update of the Roadmachine 01/02? Just new colours?

robeambro

by robeambro

Bukem wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09 pm
It came out last year so anything other than colours is wildly unlikely.

Ettore

by Ettore

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:22 pm
Bukem wrote:
Actually last year was just colours :)

Bukem

by Bukem

Tks. I have a Specialized Chisel MTB with Conti Race Kings for the offroad stuff. Now looking into acquiring my first roadbike and the BMC Roadmachine 02 Two has caught my attention. Love the red colour and aesthetics. I see that prices and availability (if available at all) vary a lot a this moment. Probably not the best timing because everybody is taking up cycling and we're in between model changes. Not sure what to do. Also pretty unsure about sizing. I'm 1m82 with a 88/89 inseam, relatively flexible but a big guy at 85kg. Torn between a 56cm and 58cm based on the charts. What sizes do you guys ride?

Bukem

by Bukem

Tks. I have a Specialized Chisel MTB with Conti Race Kings for the offroad stuff. Now looking into acquiring my first roadbike and the BMC Roadmachine 02 Two has caught my attention. Love the red colour and aesthetics. I see that prices and availability (if available at all) vary a lot a this moment. Probably not the best timing because everybody is taking up cycling and we're in between model changes. Not sure what to do. Also pretty unsure about sizing. I'm 1m82 with a 88/89 inseam, relatively flexible but a big guy at 85kg. Torn between a 56cm and 58cm based on the charts. What sizes do you guys ride?

Bukem

by Bukem

oops something went wrong there.

bilwit

by bilwit

Ettore wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 pm
robeambro wrote:
Bukem wrote:
no the 2019 Roadmachine was a frame & fork update over the previous 2017 model

Ettore

by Ettore

bilwit wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 pm
Ettore wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 pm
robeambro wrote:
Bukem wrote:
no the 2019 Roadmachine was a frame & fork update over the previous 2017 model
It’s like this...

MY2018 (July 2017) Teammachine SLR & SLR Disc (gen 3) were launched
MY2019 (July 2018) Timemachine Road gen 2 was launched
MY2020 (July 2019) Roadmachine gen 2 was launched

All the other platforms dit not receive any hardware changes during that same time, only colours or graphic schemes. For MY2020 Teammachine SLR & SLR DISC did receive a full new graphics scheme, but the frames remained unchanged.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

Ettore wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm
It’s like this...

MY2018 (July 2017) Teammachine SLR & SLR Disc (gen 3) were launched
MY2019 (July 2018) Timemachine Road gen 2 was launched
MY2020 (July 2019) Roadmachine gen 2 was launched

All the other platforms dit not receive any hardware changes during that same time, only colours or graphic schemes. For MY2020 Teammachine SLR & SLR DISC did receive a full new graphics scheme, but the frames remained unchanged.
yes and both quotes you responded to were talking about the Roadmachine