2021 BMC Teammachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

LukiP wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am
robeambro wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:10 am
Woland wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:32 am
It's more than a facelift upgrade for sure.

I hope it will have clearance for at least 28mm tires and I think it's a must in today's market, and 30mm would be even better, just because. Robeambro, does it take 28mm tires? If you can't talk just wink your left eye for a yes.
Oh I don't know, I just heard about the launch from another forum - and they'd mentioned it had the aero toolbox so I was instantly uninterested. :lol:
So you're talking about Teammachine or Timemachine? Aero toolbox is in Time, not Teammachine, right?

About SLR01 Four, what do you guys thing about those CRD351 wheels?
I'm talking about Team - from what I heard the new model might also have the toolbox. But then again, I don't know anything. I'm just reporting what I've read, and have no idea whether that's true.

ThunderJack07

by ThunderJack07

In the case of the Timemachine, the aero toolbox is a separate piece that can be removed, aero bottle cages however are part of the frame design. For the Teammachine, I don't know about the toolbox, but LBS showed the bike to one of my friend last week. He told me it features the integrated bottlecages that was designed with Elite bottles. Also confirmed the integrated one piece cockpit.

Do you know if the cockpit had an aero profile or more of a traditional roundish shape ?
BMC Teammachine SLR01 - MY18 - 6.87kg
S-Works Venge Disc - MY21 - 7.07kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The toolbox/ bottlecage system is actually pretty clever. If only BMC had put in a little more effort to not make this from the flimsiest plastic the could find.
According to Cervelo's aero testing as much as 9% of aerodynamic drag generated by the bike (so 9% of the 20% that a bike generates of the total system) is by the bottle/s. That's nothing to be scoffed at. Hence, companies like TREK, 3T, BMC, Pinarello etc are focusing increasingly on "shielding" the bottles. Since bottles and tools will be part of pretty much every ride including races, integrating them neatly (and especially efficiently) into the overall design. I am not saying I love the look of the box on the BMC, but a frame that is mega aero with no bottles and saddlebag, but creates a lot more drag with them attached, doesn't make much sense for me.

That is actually rather upsetting looking at the frame of my Cervelo S5. The downtube is shaped like an airplane wing, and the bottle behind it is three times as wide as the tube. That can't be fast.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Virtual 2021 launch was today. I wonder what updates we'll see trickle out of this...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

ryanw wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 pm
Virtual 2021 launch was today. I wonder what updates we'll see trickle out of this...
Virtual launch means "to the retailers"?
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Woland

by Woland

ThunderJack07 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 am
In the case of the Timemachine, the aero toolbox is a separate piece that can be removed, aero bottle cages however are part of the frame design. For the Teammachine, I don't know about the toolbox, but LBS showed the bike to one of my friend last week. He told me it features the integrated bottlecages that was designed with Elite bottles. Also confirmed the integrated one piece cockpit.

Do you know if the cockpit had an aero profile or more of a traditional roundish shape ?
The cockpit has an aero profile. Reminded me of a lot of the integrated bars on the Aeroad/Ultimate.

If/when the Teammachine has an integrated toolbox, it doesn't jump out visually the same way it does on the Timemachine as I didn't notice anything on the bike that I saw.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:53 pm
The toolbox/ bottlecage system is actually pretty clever. If only BMC had put in a little more effort to not make this from the flimsiest plastic the could find.
it's not flimsy at all as I actually own a Timemachine Road. Do I wish it was carbon ? yes. But it's not flimsy ..it's very very stiff..stiffer then any carbon cage I've ever owned. The toolbox is not as stiff as the bottle cages, the toolbox door is the flexiest part of the system which is understandable since it gets pressed in.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
it's not flimsy at all as I actually own a Timemachine Road. Do I wish it was carbon ? yes. But it's not flimsy ..it's very very stiff..stiffer then any carbon cage I've ever owned. The toolbox is not as stiff as the bottle cages, the toolbox door is the flexiest part of the system which is understandable since it gets pressed in.
My brother has a TMR01 and the door rattles way too much. I don't know how much "stiffness" matters here, but the quality of the whole thing doesn't scream "€10,000 bike!". From a functional standpoint I think it is very good.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

iamraymond

by iamraymond

It would be a shame if they went away from the ICS stem system and moved to a one piece cockpit. IMO the ICS stem is one of the best designed internal cable routing systems out there. It remains easily serviceable for maintenance and allows for straightforward changes to the handlebar. You can use any bar you want and easily adjust the bar angle. I feel a one piece cockpit would be a step backwards.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:40 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
My brother has a TMR01 and the door rattles way too much. I don't know how much "stiffness" matters here, but the quality of the whole thing doesn't scream "€10,000 bike!". From a functional standpoint I think it is very good.
like I said the door is the weak material.. it's not the bad personally but if anything is going to make noise it would be that. Your bro should order another one or see if he can get it warrantied. Mine is dead silent but I have not opened it a bunch and I'm very careful how I treat it. The rest of the module is stiff as F.

maybe he overstuffed it once and warped it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bilwit

by bilwit

iamraymond wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:46 pm
It would be a shame if they went away from the ICS stem system and moved to a one piece cockpit. IMO the ICS stem is one of the best designed internal cable routing systems out there. It remains easily serviceable for maintenance and allows for straightforward changes to the handlebar. You can use any bar you want and easily adjust the bar angle. I feel a one piece cockpit would be a step backwards.
I bet it's just going to ship with the TMR ICS aero cockpit, then the usual more aero fork/downtube/headtube and disc only and maybe ~30g heavier

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ICS aero stem is a brick weight wise.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

robeambro

by robeambro

Right so, a few more info I've gathered. Dealers have now seen it and some people have been able to take a sneak peek, but were very much discouraged from sharing them. I suppose Swiss take their embargoes more seriously than others..

- cockpit will be one piece "upon request". Unsure if this means that they keep the usual ICS.
- unfortunately (for me at least), aero toolbox is there.
- tube shaping a bit more "squished" for aero.
- fork has changed a bit, but more or less, it still looks very much like a BMC.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

robeambro wrote:Right so, a few more info I've gathered. Dealers have now seen it and some people have been able to take a sneak peek, but were very much discouraged from sharing them. I suppose Swiss take their embargoes more seriously than others..

- cockpit will be one piece "upon request". Unsure if this means that they keep the usual ICS.
- fork has changed a bit, but more or less, it still looks very much like a BMC.
Do you know if they were able to improve weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Pukutis wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:02 am
robeambro wrote:Right so, a few more info I've gathered. Dealers have now seen it and some people have been able to take a sneak peek, but were very much discouraged from sharing them. I suppose Swiss take their embargoes more seriously than others..

Do you know if they were able to improve weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No idea sorry - I'm just reporting what I've read on an Italian forum, where people with a good relationship with dealers have been shown the bike and have reported their impressions. I'm sure the same "treatment" will have been given to others here, so hopefully somebody will be able to chime in with more details..