Allez sprint disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johnrho

by johnrho

@maxim809 - that’s the thing - I would literally need to switch to a zero offset post and still push the saddle forward to make a 52cm frame fit. The saddle I use is the Selle Italia SLR Boost which reduces the range on the rails. It’s that and having the aesthetics of having a lot of seatpost exposed with the 49cm vs less with the 52cm.

Btw I have short(ish) legs and use 165mm cranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Cool, thanks for the feedback on heights and sizes, that's exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like a 52 is not for me, but ultimately it seems like I need to see a fitter anyway.

johnrho

by johnrho

I recommend you see the fitter first with your current bike. Let them know what your goals are in terms of fit (ie more aggressive) and which frame you’re looking at - they will tell you if it’s a good match and which size to use, along with stem lengths and bars.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

johnrho wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:40 am
I recommend you see the fitter first with your current bike. Let them know what your goals are in terms of fit (ie more aggressive) and which frame you’re looking at - they will tell you if it’s a good match and which size to use, along with stem lengths and bars.

Absolutely, this is what I have planned, thanks.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

johnrho wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:03 pm
@maxim809 - that’s the thing - I would literally need to switch to a zero offset post and still push the saddle forward to make a 52cm frame fit. The saddle I use is the Selle Italia SLR Boost which reduces the range on the rails. It’s that and having the aesthetics of having a lot of seatpost exposed with the 49cm vs less with the 52cm.

Btw I have short(ish) legs and use 165mm cranks.
Agreed, it's a triple whammy to go zero-offset post, push the saddle, all while starting from a 74° ST. The aesthetics will be that of a TT bike for what should be a crit build.

What got me really scratching my head last night is that Specialized's official website size chart recommends 52cm for 163-170cm, and 49cm for 155-163cm, which I understand are simply guidelines and not absolutes. When I look at the geometry I agree the 49cm works the best for me. The 52cm is HUGE. Not to go too off topic but I'm trying to figure out what sizing to get for a Tarmac SL6. Probably similar 49cm.

johnrho

by johnrho

XS on the Tarmac would be too small. The effective top tube length difference between a XS and S is huge (508 vs 531). My brother who is 1cm shorter than me uses the 52cm for his Tarmac Ultralight and uses a 90cm stem.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:57 pm
The Tarmac is not quite as aggressive as the Allez Sprint.
Tarmac stack height includes the higher bearing cover iirc.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

johnrho wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:07 pm
XS on the Tarmac would be too small. The effective top tube length difference between a XS and S is huge (508 vs 531). My brother who is 1cm shorter than me uses the 52cm for his Tarmac Ultralight and uses a 90cm stem.
Thanks, that point of reference is useful. I'm wondering if the Tarmac line-up in general may not be for me. I was looking at the eTT and noticed that huge gap as well, which sometimes happens with bike frame geometry line-ups for my height (Look/Time frames and sometimes Scotts/Canyons can be like this too). I know the easiest answer is to get my butt into a dealer, which isn't working great right now with stock sold out and I'm trying to sweep up some NOS online for both the Sprint and Tarmac so I can build at home.

It seems what I can estimate with my longer torso, is a 52cm Tarmac and expect roughly a 90~110mm stem. Or a 49cm with a 110~130mm stem. My milage might vary, but based on experience that'll likely be the ballpark.

Anyway, to stay on topic I'm a few step closer to pulling the trigger on a Allez Sprint. I jammed myself up into a mental rim vs disc debate right before pulling, which I plan to untangle myself out of soon. Don't worry, I've been here before countless times.

johnrho

by johnrho

Quickly on the Tarmac, 49 would be too small from a top tube and drop perspective - not just a stem length. The amount of spacers may not be desirable nor safe depending on your fit. If you can’t get to a fitter (preferred) then 52 with a 90mm stem will probably be the config.

As for the decision on rim vs disc Allez Sprint, consider the cable routing of the rim version - shifting cables exit externally near the BB on the down tube and route below the BB to the chain stay/seat tube. IMO it doesn’t look great. The disc version routes the cables down the down tube to the BB and exit through the ports on the bottom of the BB - much cleaner look. I think there’s pictures in this thread of both.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Thanks for pointing that out. I see the rim routing in my own photo, and looked at a few other shots (dude the RD cabling on this one... ;\ https://www.bikeradar.com/news/speciali ... lideshow=1)

That was helpful. Also thanks on the Tarmac tip. Seems like Tarmac = 52cm, Allez Sprint = 49cm. Sweet.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

maxim809 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 pm
johnrho wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Thanks, that point of reference is useful. I'm wondering if the Tarmac line-up in general may not be for me. I was looking at the eTT and noticed that huge gap as well, which sometimes happens with bike frame geometry line-ups for my height (Look/Time frames and sometimes Scotts/Canyons can be like this too). I know the easiest answer is to get my butt into a dealer, which isn't working great right now with stock sold out and I'm trying to sweep up some NOS online for both the Sprint and Tarmac so I can build at home.

It seems what I can estimate with my longer torso, is a 52cm Tarmac and expect roughly a 90~110mm stem. Or a 49cm with a 110~130mm stem. My milage might vary, but based on experience that'll likely be the ballpark.

Anyway, to stay on topic I'm a few step closer to pulling the trigger on a Allez Sprint. I jammed myself up into a mental rim vs disc debate right before pulling, which I plan to untangle myself out of soon. Don't worry, I've been here before countless times.
Ignore ETT. Difference in REACH is only 5mm between 49 and 52 (\ie it need just half size of the stem to make up the difference). That's what matter.
ETT is inflated by different head tube length (where it measure ETT) and different seat tube angle. Which, for proper fit, you adjust seat fore/aft according to your optimal fit, independent of the bike's seat tube angle (providing that it is in the adjustable range). So ETT doesn't matter but stack and reach does matter.
If you use 49, and stem range is 110-130.
The 52 would be 100-120. This is already rounded from 5mm difference in reach and the fact that 49+more spacers reduce effective reach vs 52+less spacer. Absolutely not 90-110.

The stack and reach growth of both Tarmac and Allez Sprint are not consistent.
Growth of one size to the next on Sprint Disc from 49 to 52, 52 to 54, 54 to 56, 56 to 58, 58 to 61 are:
Reach: +5, +5, +5, +10, +5, +5
Stack: +12, +19, +21, +29, +21
So from 49 to 52, the bike is very little longer but noticeably taller. If 52 is too tall, use 49. Otherwise, 52 require just a size shorter stem than 49.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 am
Ignore ETT. Difference in REACH is only 5mm between 49 and 52 (\ie it need just half size of the stem to make up the difference). That's what matter.
ETT is inflated by different head tube length (where it measure ETT) and different seat tube angle. Which, for proper fit, you adjust seat fore/aft according to your optimal fit, independent of the bike's seat tube angle (providing that it is in the adjustable range). So ETT doesn't matter but stack and reach does matter.
If you use 49, and stem range is 110-130.
The 52 would be 100-120. This is already rounded from 5mm difference in reach and the fact that 49+more spacers reduce effective reach vs 52+less spacer. Absolutely not 90-110.

The stack and reach growth of both Tarmac and Allez Sprint are not consistent.
Growth of one size to the next on Sprint Disc from 49 to 52, 52 to 54, 54 to 56, 56 to 58, 58 to 61 are:
Reach: +5, +5, +5, +10, +5, +5
Stack: +12, +19, +21, +29, +21
So from 49 to 52, the bike is very little longer but noticeably taller. If 52 is too tall, use 49. Otherwise, 52 require just a size shorter stem than 49.
Thanks. Back to the drawing board for me. Is there a source that explains Stack & Reach in-depth, with all its details and caveats?

mathieurrr

by mathieurrr

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 pm
I made some modification to my bike since last time i post it. So i keep it updated here.

Size 49, 120mm stem, Di2 mix of Ultegra RD and Dura-ace (9000) cable-brake shifter and derailleur.
Juin Tech F1 up front, TRP Spyre in the back (Juin Tech can only be used with 160mm rotor, i don't want to run 160mm in the back).

Drive side and non drive side
CVT04431.jpg
CVT04429.jpg

Handlebar and Stem:
Specialized Aerofly II 38cm, Specialized Venge stem -12 degree 120mm
I still go back and forth between Pro Vibe stem (140g, stiff) and Venge stem (210g, bloody overly stiff). I think i might just take the weight hit of Venge stem because i like how ultra stiff stem feels. And if i'm a real weight-weenies, Allez Sprint is not for me anyway. Stiffness over weight!
CVT04434.jpg

Change from Quarq Dzero to Power2max + Rotor crank, gaining extra weight, just because i like how it looks better than Quarq.
CVT04436.jpg
@Hexsense I was inspired by these pictures and decided to get a similar but more budget friendly version. I bought the NGEco with the 24mm power2max rotor cranks (budget ALDHU version), shimano 105 chainrings (53/39) and a Wheels mfg BB. Am I missing anything else for the converison? Is this an easy job to do at home or would it be best to bring it to a LBS? I've been trying to do bike work at home since I think it's a fun learning opportunity but I'm not sure if I'm out of my league on this one.

Once it's all done I'll put up a pic of my 2020 Allez Sprint Disc.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

it's simple. From your list, just make sure you also have all the required spacers. Mine 30mm axle version doesn't come with all spacers needed.
Wheels mfg bb30 to Shimano (threaded together version?) is simple to install.
But to do it properly, you need some quality tools. Buy proper press tools from Wheelsmfg to press in one side. Then a bottom bracket spanner to thread in another side. Make sure to read instructions.
Bite the cost once and own the tools for life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com