S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigmac

by Bigmac

talentdeficient wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 am
Morning all

After following this thread for a while, I have bought an venge frameset (dove grey) which hopefully will be delivered at some point soon. The rest of the kit is ready to go, managed to pick up a sram red groupset and I'm going to run 55mm strada performance aero disc wheels on dt180exp hubs (had originally asked for 240exp but they've been delayed).

I have a sram dub BB330, but I was wondering about trying to keep the CS BB30 and use an adapter to bring it down to 29mm - I've seen the CK delrin adapters for their own BBs, and looking at it online it looks like it should fit with the CS bearings. Alternatively, you can get these:

https://www.tiendamtb.com/en/bottom-bra ... apter.html

I was thinking to try it and if it's no good just fit the dub BB, because I would like to use the CS bearing if possible. I have two questions I hoped you might be able to help with:
- are the adapters just a stupid idea? I couldn't see if anyone has already tried it after searching the WW site and the web.
- what spacers would I need - I can see the guidelines for the SRAM DUB BBs, so should I just measure the widths and make it up to the same total width?

Thanks in advance for any help - I'll post pics when I start smashing it together but it's not going to be superlight as its a 61...
I had similar ideas to yours and I purchased the Hope BB30 to Dub adapters/reducers and a bunch of Dub spacers - to be honest it looked messy and amateurish so I took the plunge and purchased a CS Dub bottom bracket unit. On another bike i've retained the CS bearings and used S-Works cranks with Carbon-ti chainrings, this is the lighter option and the chainrings work really well

MRM

by MRM

talentdeficient wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:31 am
Morning all

After following this thread for a while, I have bought an venge frameset (dove grey) which hopefully will be delivered at some point soon. The rest of the kit is ready to go, managed to pick up a sram red groupset and I'm going to run 55mm strada performance aero disc wheels on dt180exp hubs (had originally asked for 240exp but they've been delayed).

I have a sram dub BB330, but I was wondering about trying to keep the CS BB30 and use an adapter to bring it down to 29mm - I've seen the CK delrin adapters for their own BBs, and looking at it online it looks like it should fit with the CS bearings. Alternatively, you can get these:

https://www.tiendamtb.com/en/bottom-bra ... apter.html

I was thinking to try it and if it's no good just fit the dub BB, because I would like to use the CS bearing if possible. I have two questions I hoped you might be able to help with:
- are the adapters just a stupid idea? I couldn't see if anyone has already tried it after searching the WW site and the web.
- what spacers would I need - I can see the guidelines for the SRAM DUB BBs, so should I just measure the widths and make it up to the same total width?

Thanks in advance for any help - I'll post pics when I start smashing it together but it's not going to be superlight as its a 61...
Welcome! Nice to have you with us!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Currently building up a beautiful Sagan Deconstructivism frame.

Size 54. 934g naked.
Attachments
5A4D7401-0445-4034-A15B-24D8A7FFCDD6.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

MRM

by MRM

Oh, I'm really looking forward to the pics of the finished build!!!

Robius

by Robius

That's a really nice looking paint job and it definitely needs a photo under direct sunlight. Keep us updated. :beerchug:
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

Pumablk

by Pumablk

Oh man that will look great once fully built up. Can't wait for pics.

kame

by kame

I'm finishing building up a 2019 Venge frameset (Bora colors) that I bought recently. I'm reusing a Rotor 3D+ crank with a Power2Max power meter and 54/42 Q-rings from my previous bike (I live in flat country).
I have run into a clearance issue: the front derailleur can't be moved high enough to clear the 54T oval chainring. What are my options? I have read about braze-on adapters but I've never used one - they don't seem like a solid solution. Go back to traditional 53/39 round rings?
20200623_113211_rsz.jpg
(edit: spelling)
In meiner Kette fehlt kein Glied, wenn die Lust von hinten zieht.

ds240

by ds240

Is anyone running the 28mm rapidair tubeless tyres on their Venge / clx 64/50?

Just ordered some 26s again after a previous puncture and the sealed hole keeps squirting every so often but resealing again.

Nearly went with 28s. If anyone is using them, what do you think? How have you found them compared to the 26s.

Cheers.

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

Does anyone have any experience with IBK Bike? They are selling Specialized bikes and have a really good price on the Venge Pro, but it seems almost too good to be true.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

ds240 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 am
Is anyone running the 28mm rapidair tubeless tyres on their Venge / clx 64/50?

Just ordered some 26s again after a previous puncture and the sealed hole keeps squirting every so often but resealing again.

Nearly went with 28s. If anyone is using them, what do you think? How have you found them compared to the 26s.

Cheers.
I have a 26 on the front and a 28 on the rear wheel. I run them at about 70psi equally. I too had a puncture (rear wheel) that was re-opening. I patched it internally to resolve that. When I took off the tire, I noticed a LOT of Stanimals all over the wheel in seemingly weird spots too (no obvious external hole).

I can't comment on the 26 vs 28 except to say that they both obviously fit with lots of room and that the 28 is significantly heavier (as per the scale).

Nickldn

by Nickldn

anykarthik wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:02 pm

I can't comment on the 26 vs 28 except to say that they both obviously fit with lots of room and that the 28 is significantly heavier (as per the scale).
Yeah, added weight is one of the reasons I gave up on the idea of running a 28mm tyre on the back wheel and stayed on a 25mm.

It seems the weight difference between a 23mm and a 25mm tyre is pretty marginal, but weight goes up a lot more for 28mm tyres. I guess they are quite a lot larger in terms of volume. This is rotating weight too, so you'll feel it.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Visqu

by Visqu

Skeeleye wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 pm
Does anyone have any experience with IBK Bike? They are selling Specialized bikes and have a really good price on the Venge Pro, but it seems almost too good to be true.
Just recently I purchased an SL6 frameset from them. Prices are devoid of VAT though. Delivery took 2-3 days longer than expected but still less than a week to Finland.

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

Visqu wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 am
Skeeleye wrote:
Just recently I purchased an SL6 frameset from them. Prices are devoid of VAT though. Delivery took 2-3 days longer than expected but still less than a week to Finland.
But despite that, the frameset arrived in good order and is an authentic product? Would you recommend ordering from them and would you order from them again?

Visqu

by Visqu

Skeeleye wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 am
Visqu wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 am
Skeeleye wrote:
But despite that, the frameset arrived in good order and is an authentic product? Would you recommend ordering from them and would you order from them again?
Yeah, sure.
They seem to be a Specialized Concept Store too.

Their web interface has some flaws though, ordered a 56 but later it showed the product code for a 58 in my order summary. Double checked from them and on their end it was a 56 and that's what I received.

crooky13

by crooky13

Bit of a lurker here but was hoping for some help! Mods please let me know if this should be posted in a separate thread.

Managed to get a great deal on a used S-works Venge last year that was kitted out with Ultegra Di2. Really love the bike and it feels so much faster on the flats than my old bike (Cervelo R5 VWD). Having seen some of the builds on this thread and now that I'm cycling more/getting into triathlons, I decided to start upgrading some of the components with the first upgrade a Quarq crankset and DA chainrings.

Spoke to a high-end LBS who were going to source and fit the crankset during a service. Unfortunately when they re-opened and serviced the bike (five weeks ago), the crankset had been delayed due to COVID. Rode the bike in the interim and then took the bike back to them last week for installation.

When picking the bike up with the new crankset in situ, I was told by the mechanic that there was an issue with my bars. He apparently noticed this on a test ride post installation. Was pretty surprised by this and the shop said they would try and warranty the bars. Below are the only pictures of the damage that I've been sent so far.

Do you guys know what could have caused this kind of damage to the Aerofly bar or seen similiar damage? The bar seems pretty thick/sturdy given its profile compared to standard carbon bars. Wouldn't I have noticed this type of damage when riding? I'm 6"3 and 90 kgs.

Appreciate the help!
Attachments
SWorks Bars.jpg
S Works bars 2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com