Short nose saddles vs. classic saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Konsi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:28 pm
Has anyone here tried both a Specialized Power and a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow and can comment how the widths compare? I have a Power in 143mm, and Selle suggests a L3 saddle, but that is based on the height in their saddle finder?
I wouldn't use their online idmatch to pick a width, doesn't make much sense without knowing your sit bones width IMO. It tells me S3 saddles and lists like 475 different model, not quite a 'match' if you ask me.

I may try the new Flite Boost once it's available, a bit heavy with very thick looking padding but the shape looks really good to me, similar to my beloved Antares, flat and T shaped but with a shorter and slightly dipping nose, the only thing I would change on the Antares. I really didn't like the short nose saddles that are too V shaped like the Power and Dimension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

easyv

by easyv

Konsi wrote:
Has anyone here tried both a Specialized Power and a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow and can comment how the widths compare? I have a Power in 143mm, and Selle suggests a L3 saddle, but that is based on the height in their saddle finder?
Did try a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow a couple of months back and found the L3 wdith was the closest approximation in width to the 143mm wide S-Works Power I currently ride. Ultimately decided to stay with the S-Works Power as, for my bum, thought the Power was more comfortable... enough so such that it was worth the not insubstantial ~40g weight difference between saddles...

Apv

by Apv

sirRob wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:03 pm
Thats a beautiful Scultura. Slight change in topic but are you having any issues with brake rub with deep section wheels and bb brakes?

sirRob

by sirRob

Thank you!
These wheels with 2:1 spokes are very stiff and so no issue with brake rub at all. The only issue was to find a caliper matching the pull ratio of the sram red lever.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Konsi wrote:
I've had both a 143mm power pro and the SLR boost in 145mm. Padding similar but couldn't get along with the very very large cutout on the slr superflow. It definitely put more pressure on my sit bones. Also didn't have anywhere near the flex in the shell compared to the Power.

guyc

by guyc

I found the material on the Selle too slippery and couldn't get planted.

For me the Dimension is the one that's really worked.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Specialized had discontinued 130mm saddles with the end of the 130mm toupe.
They brought back a 130mm saddle with a power expert. Hopefully its something like the selle italia boost SLR.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

In my never ending quest to find a great saddle, I recently picked up a short nosed saddle to give it a try.

I've had the Fizik Antares, Fizik Arione (which I like), and the Berk Lupina (which I also like). I found a Prologo Dimension Nack (carbon rails) for a steal so I picked it up to try. Worst case scenario I can resale and make some money back.

Will report back with riding impressions.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

wltz

by wltz

JMeinholdt wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 pm

I found a Prologo Dimension Nack (carbon rails) for a steal so I picked it up to try. Worst case scenario I can resale and make some money back.

Will report back with riding impressions.
If you don't like it I will buy it from you :oops:
I recently rode 230km on it in one go without my derrière even noticing, on a racy geometry bike as well. Ridiculously comfy, even comfier than my previously fave Selle SLR with Ti rails.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

wltz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:27 pm
If you don't like it I will buy it from you :oops:
I recently rode 230km on it in one go without my derrière even noticing, on a racy geometry bike as well. Ridiculously comfy, even comfier than my previously fave Selle SLR with Ti rails.
I don't know if it's because I have a relatively stiff aero frameset, but the Dimension was a bit too firm for me. It has a decent amount of padding, but the padding is really stiff and the carbon shell is ridiculously stiff. The shape worked for me and I actually liked the shorter nose, but after about 30 minutes I had to start fidgeting quite a bit on the saddle.

I put 2.5 hours on the trainer and 1.5 outdoors. The first 30 minutes of each session feels wonderful, but then my sit bones start feeling a bit beat up.

Back to my padded Berk Lupina. It's amazing how the Berk can have so little padding yet feel like it has so much more cushion. If only the nose was a tiny bit shorter and maybe 5mm narrower towards the front, I'd have the perfect saddle. That's really my only complaint with the Lupina. The nose is a bit wide and I have thick thighs so they tend to rub after long rides.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

wltz

by wltz

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:30 pm

The first 30 minutes of each session feels wonderful, but then my sit bones start feeling a bit beat up.
Interesting! My experience is the opposite, the saddle feels too firm on seatbones for the first 30 minutes, and then I completely forget about it. To the point I sometimes find myself riding for an hour without getting out of saddle whereby before I would normally need to rise every 15 minutes to pump some blood through the contact area.

P.S.: Would definitely buy it off you if you were in Europe.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

I finally ended up ordering an Astute Time lite for a steep discount ($100 vs 300 originally). It's pretty firm and the rails don't flex, but the shape is great. I do wish there was a bit more spread to the front of the saddle (ie the cutout could be longer) but it hasn't caused me pain even when I'm as low as I can go. I still need to mess with the adjustment as I think I can drop the nose a bit.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Just received a (takes a deep breath) Selle Italia Flite Boost Kit Carbonio Superflow L3.

Not super light at a claimed 162gr but the shape looks much better for me than most short nose saddles that are shaped too much like triangles, I think they are way too wide in the middle section so I tend to not sit where I can get sit bone support. This one's middle is almost just the same width as the nose, then abruptly widens so I should get less annoying leg restriction on the sides. Padding is firm but quite thick, will see how it goes... It also has two mounting points to bolt on accessories underneath, which might be responsible for adding to the weight.
Attachments
IMG_0757.jpeg

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

terrible photo, but nice saddle...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Verbal

by Verbal

Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03 pm
Just received a (takes a deep breath) Selle Italia Flite Boost Kit Carbonio Superflow L3.

Not super light at a claimed 162gr but the shape looks much better for me than most short nose saddles that are shaped too much like triangles, I think they are way too wide in the middle section so I tend to not sit where I can get sit bone support. This one's middle is almost just the same width as the nose, then abruptly widens so I should get less annoying leg restriction on the sides. Padding is firm but quite thick, will see how it goes... It also has two mounting points to bolt on accessories underneath, which might be responsible for adding to the weight.
Do you know your "ischio" size?
I've mesured mine 110mm and I'm thinking of this saddle but in s3....
I rode Antares 00 but the nose was too wide, I rode berk list but the saddle was too soft...
So now my short list is flite boost flow or Prologo scratch m5 pas or not...