New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm
Maybe some Venge owners can answer this, but are there any light stem/bar alternatives for this? I know the Venge stem isn't the lightest, either are the Aerofly bars. Would be interested to see if there were some lighter options.
It depends on what tradeoffs you want to make. There are one-piece systems that are lighter - e.g., Farsports F1 and Deda Alanera. I don't think farsports makes Venge specific spacers yet, but if you slam it, it should install ok. Same for Alanera - just more expensive. I haven't tried either but both look ok, although I am hazarding a guess that the Aerofly is marginally more aero because of it's wide shape. I also frankly just like the Aerofly bar itself.

If you want to keep the bar and just change the stem - which would be my preferred scenario - things get more compliated. I don't think any other stem will offer a comparable level of integration, simply because the cables won't route correctly and/or it will just look a bit out of place. Pro vibe and Deda Superzero are promising candidates, but don't quite meet the mark IMO. Deda Vinci looks cool, but is heavier than the stock Venge stem.

What is strange about this stage of affairs is that it's not that complicated. Just make a flatish-top carbon stem, with faceplate bolts in line with the stem level, and something (a hook that you attach with a small bolt) to hold the cables under the stem. That's all. I've suggested this to Darimo, but have not seen a response or a suggestion that they would make one - but it seems to me that if they made something that looked sorta like a Venge stem but 100g, they would sell them like hotcakes, given the popularity of the Venge and the propensity of Venge owners to chase marginal peformance gains.
I agree that the Aerofly is a great handlebar. I had it on my SL6 Tarmac. And maybe it's just that it's a short stem with lots of spacers that make the picture look off. And I doubt the gram savings from swapping stems is going to be better than the aero stem/spacer it has now.

Edit: And I guess the current bar/stem combo is better than this hideous solution.

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

bespoke

by bespoke

Ouch. If that was a dog you would put it down
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

My eyes. I can't unsee that.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Are we sure this isn't a new stem on the tarmac? Less of a sprinters stem so less heavy but similar design?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

petromyzon

by petromyzon

ajcav86 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:59 pm
Are we sure this isn't a new stem on the tarmac? Less of a sprinters stem so less heavy but similar design?
New routing for front brake hose (Sl6 disc has it entering the top of the fork crown).
Seatpost looks to have a different cross section.
Wheels look new (mismatched depth front/rear) which suggests the owner has access to prerelease stuff.

But I agree - more evolution than revolution when compared to the Tarmac. Which is a good thing, by all accounts.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

ajcav86 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:59 pm
I was actually thinking that. If they want a lightweight bike, they could probably take some grams off the Venge stem with a similar design. On the other hand, if this is truly a merge of the Tarmac and Venge, it would make sense to use a stiffer, heavier stem. I guess we'll find out.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

petromyzon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm
Wheels look new (mismatched depth front/rear) which suggests the owner has access to prerelease stuff.
Original poster said it was a Specialized rep. So maybe doing a demo for a very lucky shop. Looks to be the new Rapide CLX 50/60 wheels.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Cemicar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 pm
ichobi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm
Space cavity for di2 box?
Venge already has a seatpost that can cleanly install the Di2 junction so that you can hardly notice it from the side view. I don't see why the new Tarmac ever needs an extra stuff to achieve the same thing unless its seatpost might be a bit too thin.
The Venge seatpost is deep enough to do that. The Tarmac seatpost is not.
Indeed. I measured the size and while the junction itself was 25mm or less the cables had long connectors. No way it would fit round or D-shaped seatposts without external holders like we're seeing.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:25 pm
petromyzon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm
Original poster said it was a Specialized rep. So maybe doing a demo for a very lucky shop. Looks to be the new Rapide CLX 50/60 wheels.
Although a little disappointed the rep couldn't ride slammed :noidea: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

Swannie

by Swannie

Rear fork seams to be changed too, looks like a venge rear triangle.
Also: no ceramic speed (decal)? And no decal next to the bracket that indicates what type of fact carbon and model etc...

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Swannie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:25 pm
Rear fork seams to be changed too, looks like a venge rear triangle.
Also: no ceramic speed (decal)? And no decal next to the bracket that indicates what type of fact carbon and model etc...
Might just be unbranded altogether. Nothing on the turbo cottons either.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

CXrider wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:19 am
I found this on the Trainerroad forum
The frame (head tube, tube shapes, angles) looks eerily similar to my Roubaix Team. So I am very interested in how Specialized is going to claim that this is "500Watts faster than a Specialized Venge at 10kph". It looks great, but not any faster than a Roubaix Team, so I don't get how this might substitute the Venge...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm

The frame (head tube, tube shapes, angles) looks eerily similar to my Roubaix Team. So I am very interested in how Specialized is going to claim that this is "500Watts faster than a Specialized Venge at 10kph". It looks great, but not any faster than a Roubaix Team, so I don't get how this might substitute the Venge...
It's not going to be, nor will it be claimed to be, faster than a Venge. I think a claim could be made that the Venge is faster, but it's too close for anyone to care about the difference and this frame is lighter and more compliant - making it a better all-rounder. People might disagree with that because the Venge is already a pretty good all-rounder, and also quite light. But if we really are getting to a point where you might be looking at 5w or less of aero difference at 40kph vs 200g less weight plus extra compliance, I think it's at least arguably defensible to simplify consumer choice as well as Spesh's own supply chains.

I mean, the Venge and this Tarmac are going to be pretty hard for non-obsessive cyclists to tell apart visually when they stand next to each other in the shop, let alone tell apart performance-wise.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

It doesn't need to be faster than the venge, just as fast but 6.5kg....
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

scale29

by scale29

ajcav86 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:41 pm
It doesn't need to be faster than the venge, just as fast but 6.5kg....
Absolutely no chance! Without some very special components it's not getting near that. Current one is 6.8 with good gear and if anything the new one looks heavier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com