OPEN releases road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stendhal

by Stendhal

OPEN MIN.D. This comes out of left field! There's a report and review on the Gran Fondo Cycling site. 6.87 kg in size L on the review bike using the heavy Force AXS 2x, fits up to 32 mm tires, ISP (!) with 25 mm diameter, disc brakes of course, will be avail in ready-to-paint version (a killer app IMO), BB386 EVO BB Only 4 sizes, with size L as 585 stack / 385 reach / 184 head tube = decidedly not aggressive (OPEN calls it "comfortable" on its site).
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bespoke

by bespoke

They have been talking about this for at least 2 yrs. Looks like a bike a lot of people would actually benefit from with its emphasis on compliance
Really weird to see a Vroomen road bike make no aero concessions
A 3T Exploro is probably more aero than this !
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

will there be a "minded" version about 100g lighter.. or aero. I'll wait for that.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Fri May 22, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Miller

by Miller

That's actually... lovely. Until I get to the bit saying €3,600.
Ho hum. I don't need it anyway.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Not sure how ISP with sit on a ton of people plus the fact it's pretty aggressively priced. While I appreciate the classy looks and the non BS approach, I think I'd need to be swayed a lot more to drop $3600 on a frame like that.

I think that's almost the cost of an S Works Tarmac frame? I know it'll be around the cost of the new Scott Addict HM frame as well.

bespoke

by bespoke

I am an OPEN dealer; I should probably research this more
A comparison between this and an UPPER with 32mm road tyres would be interesting
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Seems like Campagnolo compatibility is at least disputable - brakes, mechanical wiring. Which makes me not really interested.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Looks a lot like a disc + ISP version of the old Cervelo RS from 2007, those stays are carbon copies (pardon the pun)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have an OPEN an love the Bike. For me the reason to love an Open is the versatility. I can go full drop bar MTB for the muddiest roads and lose sand. And then I can go 700c with much narrower tires for super long, comfortable bike packing. And on an OPEN UPPER, you can even go light aero wheels, and have a pretty sweet endurance bike.
So what exactly is the point of this bike? I don't see the advantage, that a Min.D has over a UPPER? Also, what the hell is the idea with the seat post? You can never change it again, not resell the bike or anything...
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

maquisard

by maquisard

ISP 😐

uraqt

by uraqt

I would guess that there will be an SL version like spdntrxi suggested. With the thin seat tube and a extra light topper and special resin and carbon, it's going to be very light for a disc bike, for that matter I bet it's old school light for any bike. You may not like Andy and Gerard past work but nobody can deny they are in the group of the very few poeple that really know how to build/design carbon bikes.

C

Stendhal

by Stendhal

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:56 pm
Looks a lot like a disc + ISP version of the old Cervelo RS from 2007, those stays are carbon copies (pardon the pun)
With the size 32 tires, it's kind of a clone of the C series, which probably was ahead of its time.

Also, I agree, ISP :thumbup:
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Catagory6

by Catagory6

maquisard wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 pm
ISP 😐
i feel your pain
i wish internal cable routing would go the way of integrated seat posts
i love how the marketing department managed to cram "simplicity", with "internal cable routing".
that's some Elite-level propaganda right there
Last edited by Catagory6 on Sat May 23, 2020 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

Of all the new carbon road bike,this is the one I like the most. Too bad the no 2x campy compatibility means no love for my SR12 group. Starting from fresh or having a Force/Ult di2 gruppo I would be all over this bike.