2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

what do you think about INEOS becoming the next MOVISTAR with 3 leaders infighting, like carapaz, valverde, quintana, and even landa= froome, thomas, bernal, carapaz (though carapaz not likely as he is headed to Giro)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

mike wrote:what do you think about INEOS becoming the next MOVISTAR with 3 leaders infighting, like carapaz, valverde, quintana, and even landa= froome, thomas, bernal, carapaz (though carapaz not likely as he is headed to Giro)
Nope.. Cuz Brailsford. It's that simple. Anyone who doesn't play the team game gets tossed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

sychen wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 pm
mike wrote:what do you think about INEOS becoming the next MOVISTAR with 3 leaders infighting, like carapaz, valverde, quintana, and even landa= froome, thomas, bernal, carapaz (though carapaz not likely as he is headed to Giro)
Nope.. Cuz Brailsford. It's that simple. Anyone who doesn't play the team game gets tossed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Or anyone who DOES play the team game gets paid handsomely!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

it will be interesting to see. i could see tension between thomas and froome where thomas chased froome in the tour that thomas won

AJS914

by AJS914

The thought of Froome going to Bahrain and the look on Landa's face makes me laugh!

The story of Froome moving teams in the middle of Covid19 seems bogus - a headline grabber.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Definitely click bait, but I’m guessing the agent is trying to shop him around? If I was in Brailsford’s position, given what Froome has to recover from and his age, I wouldn’t see him as the outright leader on a stacked team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Wookski wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 pm
Or anyone who DOES play the team game gets paid handsomely!
Probably a better way of looking at it. Kwiatkowski does an incredibly important job for the team and, according to the salary figures that came out recently, is paid for it accordingly. Obviously most teams don't have the resources to do this, but it certainly shows that happy domestiques make for a good team environment.

altuna98

by altuna98

Froome changing teams may be his best move. If he stays at Ineos leadership is not assured for him, and there will be a lot of tension. Plus, Ineos also will benefit from his move. Us too.

ms6073

by ms6073

altuna98 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 am
Froome changing teams may be his best move. If he stays at Ineos leadership is not assured for him, and there will be a lot of tension.
Guess now Froome has a understanding of how he made Wiggins feel during his time at Sky.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

interesting on https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-da ... lia-video/ Alex Dowsett calls his pinarello Bollide time trial bike crappy equipment and that it was slow. but he still won his debut grand tour stage

jekyll man

by jekyll man

mike wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:28 pm
interesting on https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-da ... lia-video/ Alex Dowsett calls his pinarello Bollide time trial bike crappy equipment and that it was slow. but he still won his debut grand tour stage
Other than it being a Graal....and i suspect it was crappy
Official cafe stop tester

bilwit

by bilwit

jekyll man wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm
mike wrote:
Yep, that stage was the first time the Bolide debut the WT with Wiggins riding it (and then tossing it in the ditch). Still not sure if he was referring to the Graal or Campy. If the Graal was good enough to win all year in the year before (2012) and podium at the Olympics, surely it wasn't that crappy of equipment.

As a side note, it's always amusing to see media outlets never failing to be quick to headline when "Dowsett beat Wiggins" and then barely acknowledge that Wiggins lost at least 30s to the mechanical, and this was also after he wasn't in the right mind on the descents after crashing twice in the rain.

AJS914

by AJS914

mike wrote:
Alex Dowsett calls his pinarello Bollide time trial bike crappy equipment and that it was slow. but he still won his debut grand tour stage
I was just listening to a recent episode of The Cycling Podcast where Dowsett tells this story. He didn't have the Bollide. He had the old bike. The story he told was that it was Movistar's last year on Pinarello and they had the old TT bike with exposed cables and Sky showed up with the new Bollide.

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/o ... e-hot-seat

BTW, The Cycling Podcast's "Giro" coverage has been fantastic!

pastronef

by pastronef

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 pm
jekyll man wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm
mike wrote:
[...] If the Graal was good enough to win all year in the year before (2012) and podium at the Olympics, surely it wasn't that crappy of equipment.
iirc Wiggo rode the British Cyling frames at the London Olympics, while Frome rode the Graal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

pastronef wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:44 pm
iirc Wiggo rode the British Cyling frames at the London Olympics, while Froome rode the Graal
that's why I said podium :thumbup: