shimano grx

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

tomh79 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm
Another think to keep in mind, though, is that you'll need to use the GRX front derailleur, with the crank, due to the different offset in chainline.
True! But then - I've read in this forum (I think) that several people got it working with the 105 FD?! Not sure if I should try first and then order the GRX FD...or just send it back...
I came across the same thing...seems like some are able to get it to work with a 105/Ultegra FD. Maybe it comes down to how the frame/hanger positions the FD?
I ended up replacing the entire groupset, so I never tried it with the 105 that was on the bike already.

Personally, I'd order both. And if you want to save some money, try it with the 105 and if it works, send the GRX one back. If not, then you have it hand, so you won't have to order it and wait.

tomh79

by tomh79

jmfreeman535 wrote:

Personally, I'd order both. And if you want to save some money, try it with the 105 and if it works, send the GRX one back. If not, then you have it hand, so you won't have to order it and wait.
Makes sense! Do you like it so far? I never seen it in real life..only internet/youtube - quality seems ok / Ultegra level?

by Weenie

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

tomh79 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:

Makes sense! Do you like it so far? I never seen it in real life..only internet/youtube - quality seems ok / Ultegra level?
The quality of it is really nice, and I'd rate it slightly higher than Ultegra, perfromance wise, even.

kytyree

by kytyree

I'd agree with that, I'm using GRX Di2 but being a more recent release I think the shape of the levers for example is an improvement. The cranks seem solid to me, and I've ridden the group quite a bit since I put it on my bike. Realistically though 105 also works very well right now. I've been saying for some time that the function of the 105 group, for the price, is to me the most impressive thing available.

robertbb

by robertbb

kytyree wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 pm
I'd agree with that, I'm using GRX Di2 but being a more recent release I think the shape of the levers for example is an improvement. The cranks seem solid to me, and I've ridden the group quite a bit since I put it on my bike. Realistically though 105 also works very well right now. I've been saying for some time that the function of the 105 group, for the price, is to me the most impressive thing available.
The 105 hydro levers are over 600 grams. It's extremely heavy.

If only there was a 105 small hands non-hydro brifter...

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

Hi there. Am I right in thinking that there is no dedicated 1x left hand RX815 brake lever? Ie that there's not a brake-only left lever (and that the lever still has a shifter to operate a dropper post)?

If that is indeed the case does anyone know if it's an option to pair the RX815 right with a RX810 left (which is brake-only)?

Thanks in advance :)

Point

by Point

urbanspaceman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:44 am
If that is indeed the case does anyone know if it's an option to pair the RX815 right with a RX810 left (which is brake-only)?...
It's an oversight from Shimano if you ask me, having created the dropper lever on the RX810 and made specific 1x items on the RX815 line why they haven't added a 1x dropper lever for 815 is beyond me.

In the sense of compatibility, It's not a problem to link the left 810 with the right 815 as they're separate units, however you're going to obviously have some imbalance. The hoods are shaped differently, and I suspect riding around with an asymetrical lever setup will not only look but also feel wrong. I don't know the specific tech specs for the reach/proportions of each shifter but I suspect you'll come across fit issues in mixing these.

I'm currently in the process of fitting the 815 levers to my latest build and they are utterly beautiful, for what it's worth. I'd personally stick with the two 815 levers and attach a dropper lever as normal. The utility of the left hand shifter switches will still be handy, you can programme them to change the RD, or control your garmin.
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

That's amazing advice. Thanks a million!

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

Point wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:48 am
urbanspaceman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:44 am
If that is indeed the case does anyone know if it's an option to pair the RX815 right with a RX810 left (which is brake-only)?...
It's an oversight from Shimano if you ask me, having created the dropper lever on the RX810 and made specific 1x items on the RX815 line why they haven't added a 1x dropper lever for 815 is beyond me.

In the sense of compatibility, It's not a problem to link the left 810 with the right 815 as they're separate units, however you're going to obviously have some imbalance. The hoods are shaped differently, and I suspect riding around with an asymetrical lever setup will not only look but also feel wrong. I don't know the specific tech specs for the reach/proportions of each shifter but I suspect you'll come across fit issues in mixing these.

I'm currently in the process of fitting the 815 levers to my latest build and they are utterly beautiful, for what it's worth. I'd personally stick with the two 815 levers and attach a dropper lever as normal. The utility of the left hand shifter switches will still be handy, you can programme them to change the RD, or control your garmin.
I have both the buttons on the left programmed to upshift; both the buttons on the right programmed to downshift. Works well for me in CX racing as you can jab one side under pressure and not hit the wrong button by accident. More important in winter with thick gloves. There are also ancilliary buttons on the inside of both hoods which I use to shift garmin screens when riding along. Other options available, but that works well for me. Don't forget to buy the bluetooth inline unit if you want to control the Garmin though,

Point

by Point

Pottermouse wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 am

I have both the buttons on the left programmed to upshift; both the buttons on the right programmed to downshift. Works well for me in CX racing as you can jab one side under pressure and not hit the wrong button by accident. More important in winter with thick gloves. There are also ancilliary buttons on the inside of both hoods which I use to shift garmin screens when riding along. Other options available, but that works well for me. Don't forget to buy the bluetooth inline unit if you want to control the Garmin though,
Interesting. I've heard of people doing that but had forgotten quite honestly. In doing this, are you not double/multi shifting by mistake by hitting both switches very nearly at the same time?
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

Point wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:33 pm
Pottermouse wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 am

Interesting. I've heard of people doing that but had forgotten quite honestly. In doing this, are you not double/multi shifting by mistake by hitting both switches very nearly at the same time?
Never happened to me...