FAILURE Shimano Cranksets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

schlafen

by schlafen

I have tried my mates spare 5800 crankset today and there is a spacing issue. I would love to compare to my warranty replacement cranks but I've sold them already.

The reach of the 9100 front derailleur is shorter and it does not clear the big ring even with the limit screw all the way out.
I'll take a picture when I get home from work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ruklaw

by ruklaw

Are you certain the 5800 cranks are correctly seated in the bottom bracket? Perhaps a tap with the rubber mallet to ensure they are all the way seated?

What I've read would indicate that the newer groups have the inner ring half a mm further inboard, and for this reason they require the new front derailleur, but the new front derailleur should be backwards compatible (and is described as such in the shimano tech docs) - https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/3 ... &cid=C-453

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schlafen

by schlafen

Sorted. My derailleur was bent. New derailleur solved the issue.

Pictured is the derailleur at rest and extended all the way out.

Apologies if the pictures are low res as apparently I need to be vip to upload big res pictures
Tapatalk is becoming a pain to use with all their vip crap, can barely do anything with it now. Time to look for a different app I guess.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

thePrince

by thePrince

cat3memes on instagram posted a poll on this topic yesterday, asking how many people have had one of their shimano cranks fail. Today the results were posted... 223 out of 1985 responses. That's 11%.

Let's be very conservative and say that everyone of his 34,000 followers has had 2 of the shimano cranks that are prone to the delimantion issue. That would be a .3% failure rate. I don't know how many of these cranks are out in the market, but it's a lot. And that's the conservative view. The more realistic view is maybe .75 cranks per follower, almost 1%.

Think Mavic R-Sys wheels, some guy experienced a failure (that was probably due to some kind of crash damage) and the whole concept died. They released another version, I never heard of another failure, but the concept still died. Zipp recalled a entire hub at a very high cost to them after less than handful of them experienced a catastrophic failure.

These are catastrophic failures and where there is smoke, there is always fire. Why is this OK? I would much prefer a company like Zipp that is transparent and announces a recall vs Shimano that sweeps everything under the rug to present a perfect image of consistency and high quality.

uraqt

by uraqt

Why would Shimano change their business pratices? Everyone keeps buying their products and nobody cares ...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118879&start=15&hil ... n+cassette

C

XCProMD

by XCProMD

And counting!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

KevinPeters

by KevinPeters

yikes! Just to update my experiences on this. My LBS sent my cranks off the Madison (UK distributor) who replaced them without question about 2 weeks later. They were nearly 4 years old.

kode54

by kode54

I'm really shocked that there wasn't a recall on the cranks.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Had a DA 9000 and an Ultegra 8000 crack on me a week apart. Both in exactly the same spot below the writing on the drives side crank arm. An inch from the end of the crank. Each time they started making a clicking sound which I thought was the BB or something.

They were both replaced under warranty last year.

Miller

by Miller

uraqt wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 am
Why would Shimano change their business pratices? Everyone keeps buying their products and nobody cares ...
Cycling Plus (UK Magazine) has just published their bike of the year issue for bikes in the $2.5k - £4k range. It's a desert of Shimano, mainly Ultegra, off the shelf bikes. Why would Shimano give a sh!t about some chainset failures that get no publicity when they have the OEM market so thoroughly locked down.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

This

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

Do these issues affect 105 R7000 cranks too? Or are they too new to really know for sure?

circuithero

by circuithero

It's only Dura-Ace and Ultegra that are affected since they're hollow-bonded. 105 cranks and below are hollow-forged so they're fine.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

circuithero wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:42 am
It's only Dura-Ace and Ultegra that are affected since they're hollow-bonded. 105 cranks and below are hollow-forged so they're fine.
How about the MTB cranks? I have a pair of Deore XT M785 10-speed cranks. No perceptible problems with them so far, but XT is the MTB equivalent of Ultegra, so my guess would be that they're probably similar construction.

shotgun

by shotgun

NickJHP wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:56 am
How about the MTB cranks? I have a pair of Deore XT M785 10-speed cranks. No perceptible problems with them so far, but XT is the MTB equivalent of Ultegra, so my guess would be that they're probably similar construction.
Good point. I live in a tropical country where year-round rides and humid weather should accelerate such issues. Thankfully I haven't head of failures on the MTB side.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com