Orbea Gets Roasted By A Five-year Old.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C36

by C36

AJS914 wrote:The manufacturers have pushed it on to the bike shops to come up with creak free bottom brackets. And shops can usually do it 99.5% of the time. Sometimes, they just need to use the right assembly technique (retaining compound) or sometimes a 3rd party solution (praxis, hambini, etc). Consumers get caught out when their bike is out of warranty or they buy second hand and/or their LBS can't figure out a solution.
And worth mentioning that creek-free doesn’t mean proper bearing alignment and proper bearing performance / duration...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

mustafah009 wrote:In which manufacturers can we trust besides Look and Time?
Giant. Their manufacturing is stellar (even Hambini approved), their value is second to none, they have a lifetime frame warranty (and are reasonable to deal with), and finally the TCR is a great ride. Very underrated.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Seems like Specialized and Giant would be good bets, no?

Might be a ridiculously dumb question, but does the BB data really matter if you build your frame up with a 3rd party option (Praxis, WheelsMFG, C-Bear, etc.) anyways?

guyc

by guyc

What annoys me more is that many buyers will go out and spend on a new BB to try and cure what's an inherently POS frame. The industry needs to do much better. They're charging enough.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MountainAddict wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm

Seems like Specialized and Giant would be good bets, no?

Might be a ridiculously dumb question, but does the BB data really matter if you build your frame up with a 3rd party option (Praxis, WheelsMFG, C-Bear, etc.) anyways?

Out of spec bores can cause numerous problems, even with one piece conversion BBs. If the bore is too small, it can compress the BB and the bearing pressed into it. If the bore is too wide, you can still get creaks that gap filler might not address.

Js2

by Js2

guyc wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm
What annoys me more is that many buyers will go out and spend on a new BB to try and cure what's an inherently POS frame. The industry needs to do much better. They're charging enough.
Totally agree, when the price of a high end carbon bicycle can get you a motorcycle... you'd think they can get the BB done properly :roll:

flying

by flying

If it was the building industry...I think of Monocoque carbon bike frames as the drywall/gypsum board of the cycling industry

Basically a very low grade/high profit piece of crap

bilwit

by bilwit

Having fully watched the video now, he's actually quite fair to Orbea when he's being serious. He says the quality of carbon construction was decent, the roundness and tolerance of the BB hole was decent, even the axial fit on the non-driveside was actually quite excellent, even gave them a "border-line shite" rating, it's just that the drive side was real bad. In typical Hambini fashion, the noise and sentiment he makes is dialed up ten fold which masks the real substance of the issue and people not paying attention will miss.
MountainAddict wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm
The data represents the variance of the hole in the frame where the BB gets pressed into. All BBs are built to its respective BB standard accordingly--they also have their own degree of variance but it's a lot harder for them to get it wrong than carbon frame manufacturers, thus if you get a frame that is wildly off specification, you'll have issues with creaking/abnormal bearing or crank axle wear/etc because you're shoving an acceptably round BB into hole that may be too small or elipse at parts and may not even be aligned on both sides.
Last edited by bilwit on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

There are not enough true critical thinking critics out there, especially in the cycling industry. Publications are too afraid of not getting free bikes to review, paying compotent staff, being relevant (clicks), etc. Hambini does that job well and I wish there were more.

Ya, his presentation may be off putting to some, but if you can't figure out how to skip around a YouTube video, you're as daft as Hambini is at OBS!

At this point, I buy my bikes based off of customer experience. I have a brand Hambini has roasted (with no issue yet, fingers crossed), but I bought it because my LBS and the brand get things remedied quickly and at no cost for me. I have friends that ride almost every brand and almost every brand eventually has some issue. The industry's standards for QC are bad. It sucks, but it's reality, and hopefully they get better with consumer attention.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Those who completely ignores what has been explained and said,

This is NOT about conforming to "AEROSPACE STANDARDS", this is merely asking the manufacturers to adhere to "BB86 SHIMANO" i.e. "BIKE STANDARDS".

You guys complain all the time about the swearing and being offended but bear in mind he has NOT insulted ANY of you.

Stop being such fanboys.

AJS914

by AJS914

I just skipped ahead though his 10 minutes of ranting while he surfed the Orbea web site.

Hambini, I love the technical talk and that kind of stuff makes me want to buy your product some day. It could have a been a more to the point 15 minute video though with much less repetitive ranting...

Sock3t

by Sock3t

tabl10s wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm
https://youtu.be/twb73jaIUpo
I don't go out of my way to watch autistic ramblings.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It's entertainment with engineering content.

The best jokes have a degree of truth. This is no different.

Noone is unbiased. Accept that and enjoy the show.

ichobi

by ichobi

If only Shimano makes their own bikes.

I think it would be amazing if we can crowdsource information like bb diameter and to what extent yours deviate from the standard it should have. Everyone with a veneer caliper should be able to do it. We might not get super precise measurement but at least we have a general idea which brands or which bike model (to be more granular) have an acceptable manufacturing quality control.

Heck we can even rank them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:43 am
It's entertainment with engineering content.

The best jokes have a degree of truth. This is no different.

Noone is unbiased. Accept that and enjoy the show.
Your idea of entertainment is much different than mine. I enjoy a great documentry or even a docu-drama, not "keeping up with the Kadashians" side show. Sure, I aplaud him for his education, but abhore the delivery. I won't ever speak ill of autistic people and their contributions to society, but I can't endorse this one.

It'd be great if he could release a simple single page white paper on his claims.