Custom OPEN WI.DE

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TomEdward

by TomEdward

Hello,

I'm in the process of putting together a custom built OPEN WI.DE but I'm new to the scene and in need of some help from more experienced riders please.

The bike is to be featured on a well known YouTube channel for Dream Builds.

Long story short I'll be using the bike to do a couple of things. Firstly commute, on bridleways, footpaths and across fields in all weathers and secondly weekend rides on a mixutre of road and trails. I'd like to make it an off road bias gravel bike but also would like the option of switching wheel sets and pedals out to accomodate more road use.

I have already choosen most of the components but need some help and would really appreciate some advice on things I'm unsure about.

Here's what I have so far...

· Frame – Open WI.DE (M) custom painted by Rob at Colourburnstudio and frame design by David Talbot at Quarry Fold Studio

· Headset – Undecided

· Fork – Open U-Turn

· Stem – Enve Road stem

· Handlebar – Enve G Series Gravel handlebar

· Bartape – Lizard skins DSP V2 or Supacaz Kush

· Seatpost – Crankbrothers Highline 3 dropper, Canyon VCLS 2,0, Specialized's COBL GOBL-R Carbon seatpost, Envy seatpost, Rainier 27.2 IR dropper post,

· Saddle – Specialized Arc, Power, Phenom, Bontrager Aeolus, Selle Italia SLR kit Carbonio boost superflow? Need to try some!

· Brakes – SRAM Red AXS 160mm front and rear

· Shifters – SRAM Red AXS

· Crank – SRAM RED 165mm

· BB – SRAM

· Chainring – SRAM RED

· Rear Derailleur – SRAM Eagle XX1 AXS (in Gold!)

· Cassette – SRAM Eagle Cassette XX1 XG-1299 10-50 12 Speed Gold

· Chain – SRAM Eagle XX1 12 Speed in Gold

· Wheels – , Parcours Alta 700c and/or Zipp 303’s 650b

· Hubs – Carbon-ti, Industry Nine or Onyx Vesper? In Gold

· Tyres – WTB Sendero for the 650b’s, something more road bais for the 700c

· Pedals – Crankbrothers Stamp 11 size small in Black and Gold and Shimano Dura Ace SPD Carbon

· Seatpost Clamps – Carbon-ti

· Bottle cages – something carbon and light

· Quad lock

· Bearings - https://www.hambini.com/product/ntn-680 ... e-bearing/

So there's my list. Would really appreciate any feedback on it.

Here's the list of things I either need or haven't decided on and where opinions and thoughts would be valued most.

Hubs! Can't decided from the three listed (Carbon Ti, Industry Nine, Onxy Vesper)
Headset
Bartape
Seatpost
Saddle
Tyres
Bottle cage

Thanks for any input!

Archer13

by Archer13

Open sell their frames with a headset, CaneCreek 40.

by Weenie

jever98

by jever98

A couple of thoughts for your consideration:
- If you do a dream build - might as well take take a Hambini BB :-)
- Hubs: I don't know I9 or Onyx, but had good luck with Carbon Ti. The freewheeling sound is very loud, though - you have to like it :-).
- Headset: CK is the "usual" choice, but tend to be heavy. CK and Tune make lighter options, I believe.
- Saddle: I really like Meld saddles - they are custom made and pretty light.
- Seat post: Schmolke TLO?

Have fun!
----
No longer in the industry

TomEdward

by TomEdward

Archer13 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:24 pm
Open sell their frames with a headset, CaneCreek 40.
Thank you for your reply Archer, I did not know that. Maybe I can add something better however?

TomEdward

by TomEdward

jever98 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm
A couple of thoughts for your consideration:
- If you do a dream build - might as well take take a Hambini BB :-)
- Hubs: I don't know I9 or Onyx, but had good luck with Carbon Ti. The freewheeling sound is very loud, though - you have to like it :-).
- Headset: CK is the "usual" choice, but tend to be heavy. CK and Tune make lighter options, I believe.
- Saddle: I really like Meld saddles - they are custom made and pretty light.
- Seat post: Schmolke TLO?

Have fun!
Thank you very much for your reply jever, I had almost given up hope with over 200 views and only 1 reply!

In regards to the Hubs, you have helped me make my mind up and go with the Onyx. I will be riding alot through the countryside (I live in the north of the UK) and would probably enjoy the silence more than the angry bees chasing me!

I will look at the Tune Headset thank you.

Your Saddle recomendation is really interesting, as I'm overseas I have to send them an email, so I will!

Love the seatpost. I'm reading that people find it even more comfortable than the Canyon VCLS. SOLD!

Oh yes the BB! I actually contacted Hambini and spoke to him about his BB, he was funny and very informative and I was sold on it, until I spoke to Andy at OPEN.

He said the following..

"I have honestly no experience with that BB at all. What scares me actually are the shims… and that you have to preload with them They wear over time and that results in maintenance and creaking when dirt gets in them… I dont like those kind of shims at all."

Which put me off the Hambini BB, I'm still open (pardon the pun) to the idea if someone can explain further and have had experience with them on their OPEN bike.

Thanks again

jever98

by jever98

Regarding the Hambini BB: not sure what he refers to with regards to shims. My Hambini BB creates a "normal" interface. What's special about is that it's a 1-piece construction, which ensures that the bearings are well aligned, which isn't always guaranteed with a 2-piece BB.

Re Meld - I use their saddles and ordered my first one from Switzerland. It added a bit of logistics, but not much.

On the use of gold - and this is a personal opinion - I would go for less rather than more. Having a lot of gold can look garish, especially if the hues don't match exactly. For example, having a gold cassette, chain and hub might be a bit much IMHO. How about using a black cassette and hub, but use gold nipples on the wheels?
----
No longer in the industry

TomEdward

by TomEdward

jever98 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:24 am
Regarding the Hambini BB: not sure what he refers to with regards to shims. My Hambini BB creates a "normal" interface. What's special about is that it's a 1-piece construction, which ensures that the bearings are well aligned, which isn't always guaranteed with a 2-piece BB.

Re Meld - I use their saddles and ordered my first one from Switzerland. It added a bit of logistics, but not much.

On the use of gold - and this is a personal opinion - I would go for less rather than more. Having a lot of gold can look garish, especially if the hues don't match exactly. For example, having a gold cassette, chain and hub might be a bit much IMHO. How about using a black cassette and hub, but use gold nipples on the wheels?
Thanks again. Yes you might be right in regards to gold. I do like the rainbow colour of the rear cassette. The wheels are black with gold nipples so quite subtle. That might work better.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Archer13 wrote:Open sell their frames with a headset, CaneCreek 40.
Mine came with a Cane Creek 110 headset...

crlincoln

by crlincoln

This is what a gold SRAM AXS Build looks like at the back end.. it's big time bling... (this was a shop bike).. it worked really well against the green paint.. but personally, I'd look at the oil slick version..

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you are hellbent on changing headset, buy a spare and do it when the current one is in need of change.
CC have the Hellbender 70 BAA1188K
That is what i would buy (I have Open UP BTW)
It's the first one in the list
https://www.canecreek.com/product/hellbender-70/

What rims are you going for?
I guess you go for 650b rims if you'll be riding in the countryside?
That's what i would do.

I hope you post a picture on the build once complete?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

TomEdward

by TomEdward

crlincoln wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:25 am
This is what a gold SRAM AXS Build looks like at the back end.. it's big time bling... (this was a shop bike).. it worked really well against the green paint.. but personally, I'd look at the oil slick version..

Thanks for the reply, it would be great if you could post that image again as it doesn't seem to be working.

TomEdward

by TomEdward

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:36 am
If you are hellbent on changing headset, buy a spare and do it when the current one is in need of change.
CC have the Hellbender 70 BAA1188K
That is what i would buy (I have Open UP BTW)
It's the first one in the list
https://www.canecreek.com/product/hellbender-70/

What rims are you going for?
I guess you go for 650b rims if you'll be riding in the countryside?
That's what i would do.

I hope you post a picture on the build once complete?
Thanks for your reply. I've gone with a HOPE headset to colour match the front forks. I did want 650b's but got offered a set of Alta Parcours at cost discount to be featured in the video and they're 700's. I was a bit unsure which tyre to go for on the 700's so I went with the WTB Riddlers in a 45. I may get a set of 650's at a later date but the Parcours have nothing but great reviews and they are lighter than the Zipps I wanted.

https://www.parcours.cc/products/alta

My last piece of the puzzle is the seatpost, I was hell bent on getting a dropper post but now I've changed my mind and I've gone with the Darimo T2, I've not ordered it yet so fingers crossed they can get it to me before the filming starts in a few weeks.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

TomEdward wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 pm
crlincoln wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks for the reply, it would be great if you could post that image again as it doesn't seem to be working.
does this work now?

cchesebro

by cchesebro

Great juxtaposition of colros there - nice

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Looks good!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)