Colnago V3 RS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

my friend's V3RS build from Jakarta

At first i found V3RS look ugly.. until i saw this colorway <3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NicoNSO

by NicoNSO

ch00bzs wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:20 am

Hi, can you tell us your frame Size and the weight of your bike.
Thx by advance..

corky

by corky

Damn fine looking.....

alexaqui

by alexaqui

ch00bzs wrote:

Any feedback from your friend? Curious about the ride quality. So little actual information on these.

I test rode a Venge this weekend and while the ride was rough, it made me smile. I wish there were some comparisons/reviews on the standard build V3 as the pricing is quite attractive for an Ultegra DI2 build.

ironman1

by ironman1

I normally don't like white but that frame looks great. I agree their is next to no info out there from real riders. I have aV2-r and was wondering about upgrading but still waiting to hear back from actual rider reports. They changed the geometry but I did check and was told they kept the fork rake at 43, which in my mind gives it the stable great decending ride ( at least in the smaller sizes) . I ride a 50s but if I do pull the plug would probably go to a 52s. If your looking price you might want to give a shout to Bellatisport. Great prices and Andre was very easy to deal with.

alexaqui

by alexaqui

ironman1 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:16 am
I normally don't like white but that frame looks great. I agree their is next to no info out there from real riders. I have aV2-r and was wondering about upgrading but still waiting to hear back from actual rider reports. They changed the geometry but I did check and was told they kept the fork rake at 43, which in my mind gives it the stable great decending ride ( at least in the smaller sizes) . I ride a 50s but if I do pull the plug would probably go to a 52s. If your looking price you might want to give a shout to Bellatisport. Great prices and Andre was very easy to deal with.
How do you like your V2R? I need a bike that is going to be good in races and save me some watts while still being able to power up some short and steep climbs. Average roads around here are around 5-6k climbing for a 100k ride. My C50 is too dear to me to race on!

I'll check out the recommendation. I've been in contact with a few European bike shops and I'm on the fence if that is a smart move given I am in the US. Worried about warranty and authenticity to offset some significant cost savings (even factoring in shipping, insurance, and import fees).

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

alexaqui wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:35 pm
Any feedback from your friend? Curious about the ride quality. So little actual information on these.

I test rode a Venge this weekend and while the ride was rough, it made me smile. I wish there were some comparisons/reviews on the standard build V3 as the pricing is quite attractive for an Ultegra DI2 build.
I've tried his for a while, note : i own a c60. impression : snappier and lightweight version of C series.
NicoNSO wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 am
Hi, can you tell us your frame Size and the weight of your bike.
Thx by advance..
This one's 48 size. Weight is 7.3kg with zipp 404, sram red etap 11 sp, colnago stem and deda superleggera handlebar, and fizik argo vento r1

KotP

by KotP

alexaqui wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:13 am

How do you like your V2R? I need a bike that is going to be good in races and save me some watts while still being able to power up some short and steep climbs. Average roads around here are around 5-6k climbing for a 100k ride. My C50 is too dear to me to race on!

I'll check out the recommendation. I've been in contact with a few European bike shops and I'm on the fence if that is a smart move given I am in the US. Worried about warranty and authenticity to offset some significant cost savings (even factoring in shipping, insurance, and import fees).
So you're after a V2-R, not a V3Rs? If so Colnago in Chicago are clearing their stock of V2-R: https://www.bikeexchange.com/shop/colnago/20320

If you're looking at importing the already mentioned Bellatisport and also Ciclicorsa are legit. And easy to deal with.

KotP

by KotP

ironman1 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:16 am
They changed the geometry but I did check and was told they kept the fork rake at 43...
Sort of but not really, as already mentioned fork is longer, head tube is shorter to compensate. BB dropped by 2mm. Increased chainstay length like any disc bike. No radical changes.

corky

by corky

ch00bzs wrote:

Can you tell us saddle height......thx

ironman1

by ironman1

I had a V1-r and upgraded to the v2-r, really could not tell a difference except for the new bike smell (lol). The only reason I changed was although I didn't have a problem with it, it was a PATA switching wheels back and forth with the brakes under the chainstay.
Yes they changed the geometry but my concern was the long trail of front end witch didn't change with head tube angle and rake remaining the same. I had an extreme C before the vr-1 and felt the v1 was definatly stiffer and felt faster. I ride between 200 to 250 miles a week with about 2500 feet of climbing in a 60 mile ride. To me it climbs really well while still having a very compliant ride over rough roads..

KotP

by KotP

Weights for 52s frame and fork posted here. [s]Not my pictures so I'm not going to repost with out permission.[/s]

Matte painted 52s frame with headset cups and bearings (no threaded BB cups) = 940g

Uncut fork = 440g

Poster estimates the headset and bearings to weigh 100g, even being conservative I'd say the Acros headset weighs 75g for just the pressed in cups and bearings.

Add about 13 grams each for the threaded BB cups. And because the bottle cage bolts are pictured as being included I'm going to assume the posters didn't remove the the other hardware either i.e down tube port cover and rear derailleur hanger. edit: all hardware included confirmed.

Poster also specifies that the fork doesn't use a steeerer expander, I guess like the C64 disc fork.

Now claimed weights from Colnago:
To reach a new weight target of 790 grams for the size 50s in the raw disc version (including the metal components) we used a.....
Completely new and redesigned, the V3Rs fork is much lighter compared to that of the V2-r. Its raw weight (uncut) corresponds to 390 grams, TFS integrated steerer thread included. In a 50s size, which we can consider an average size, the cut fork can weigh just 340 grams.
If you add about 100g worth of paint for the frame and remove the headset, I'd say your in the ballpark of what's claimed. Fork doesn't align with claimed weight but if you cut the steerer and get 400g for a disc brake Colnago fork, that's not too bad. I'd take a heavier fork if it means it's not too flexy to eliminate disc rub.

edit: I got in contact with the original poster and asked if I could repost his photos, he kindly agreed and sent my an additional photo of the fork after cutting the steerer tube. 384g

michael

by michael

Any ideas how to get the Colnago V3 working with Campagnolo (12 speed) cranks?
There seems to be some cup already installed in the Colnago frame (threadfit) with bearings inside.
Campagnolo cranks won't fit this cup. Campagnolo cups won't fit the frame. :oops:

Thanks,
Attachments
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG

ironman1

by ironman1

You need to push the bearings that are in the thread fit cups out(41×30) and replace with 41 ×25 bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Perp

by Perp

Teaser pic.

Will hopefully have it all setup by the weekend