Pro Vibe Aero Bars & Garmin mount

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mancunian

by Mancunian

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of Pro Vibe Aero SL bars and stem. However, I need to get over the issue of Garmin mount before I pull the trigger.

The only mount option I can find is the K-Edge Pro vibe race mount. This works fine for the computer, but then I have the problem of mounting a light. Unfortunately, my riding habits demand that I have a front light.

Has anyone successfully fitted a gopro adapter to the K-Edge pro vibe mount? I know, that K-Edge say it's not possible / shouldn't be attempted, but someone, somewhere? Surely?

Or are there any other mount options that I can look at?

Failing that, any other aero bars worth a look? Anything out there that stacks up against pro vibe in terms of weight, looks and functionality?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Hmm, my suggestion instead would be to use a "normal" stem with front facing bolts and get an out-front stem mount with GoPro adapter - lots of cheap (and some good!) options on eBay, but if you want to splash out the F3 Form Mount is a very nice one.
I use the Pro Vibe Aero SL with a Syncros stem for this very reason.

SamD

by SamD

The Pro Vibe stem has rearward facing bolts so keep that in mind!

There's been an elaborate thread on this topic as well earlier, might be worth it to read!

Raceware Direct might also be able to provide you with a custom 3D printed solution, I don't think they have a standard option for this one. I've just bought there Wahoo Roam faceplate mount for my Specialized stem.

There's also a one-piece bar and stem combo from Pro called the Stealth Evo. That one has a standard 2-bolt inferace underneath.

:beerchug:
Last edited by SamD on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

RECAR77

by RECAR77

here is one person who says the lupine light mount works and someone else, who modified their 1500/1505 mount which would be compatible with gopro "combo mount interface" adapter

colagreek

by colagreek

No officially supported via K-Edge... BUT, I have been riding with the K-Edge Combo Mount Adaptor on my race mount with no issues for quite some time.

The caveat being that I use the Bontrager ION 200 which is very light and puts minimal strain on the mount.

You may also consider tapping two small holes in the bottom of your Vibe Stem to use the Splayd race mount. It would fit neatly between the two bumps protruding on the base of the stem faceplate. I considered this myself when i was still utilizing my Vibe Stem.

colagreek

by colagreek

Also before you drop the coin on those bars, be aware that they may come in WAY above spec weight. My Vibe Compact SL's came in at 198g (listed 175g). Shimano said this was within manufacturing tolerances and offered to let me return them, however they wouldnt guarantee the new pair would be any lighter...

Quickly switched to 3t Superergo LTD

Mancunian

by Mancunian

colagreek wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:21 pm
No officially supported via K-Edge... BUT, I have been riding with the K-Edge Combo Mount Adaptor on my race mount with no issues for quite some time.

The caveat being that I use the Bontrager ION 200 which is very light and puts minimal strain on the mount.
This is good info, thanks. When you fitted the combo mount adapter, how did you get the screws in? My understanding is that there are holes there, but they are not fully threaded? I'm guessing bolt is harder than the alloy on the mount and you just 'force it in'?

And as you mentioned, the lights is another limiting factor in this whole deal. There aren't many decent /lightweight options out there.

Mancunian

by Mancunian

colagreek wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:35 pm
This is (was always) my contingency plan. Whilst I'd prefer to get the aero vibe bars and stem, the sensible option remains superergo Ltd and almost any other stem out there. This means I can quit wasting time pissing around trying to find a mount for the vibe and just get on with upgrading my damn bike :D

How did you find the superergo Ltd?

colagreek

by colagreek

Mancunian wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:53 am
colagreek wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:21 pm

This is good info, thanks. When you fitted the combo mount adapter, how did you get the screws in? My understanding is that there are holes there, but they are not fully threaded? I'm guessing bolt is harder than the alloy on the mount and you just 'force it in'?

And as you mentioned, the lights is another limiting factor in this whole deal. There aren't many decent /lightweight options out there.
Holes on mine were fully threaded.

colagreek

by colagreek

Mancunian wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:56 am
colagreek wrote:
This is (was always) my contingency plan. Whilst I'd prefer to get the aero vibe bars and stem, the sensible option remains superergo Ltd and almost any other stem out there. This means I can quit wasting time pissing around trying to find a mount for the vibe and just get on with upgrading my damn bike :D

How did you find the superergo Ltd?
Love them, Ive actually moved on to a barstem combo so if youre interested in a set of 40cm SuperErgos PM me.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

colagreek wrote:
Also before you drop the coin on those bars, be aware that they may come in WAY above spec weight. My Vibe Compact SL's came in at 198g (listed 175g). Shimano said this was within manufacturing tolerances and offered to let me return them, however they wouldnt guarantee the new pair would be any lighter...

Just got my Vibe Aero SL in 42mm and it was also significantly above spec-221g with the cable guides, so maybe a little under 220 without compared to 205g spec. I have the specific Vibe K-Edge mount available for sale (using my BMC ICS stem with mounts), so PM me if you end up going with the Vibe Aero and trying to make the K-Edge mount work.

Coincidentally, I went from the non-SL Vibe aero to the Superergo LTD and now to the Vibe aero SL-hanging on to the Superergo for a bit in case I change my mind yet again and decide I am more weight weenie than aero focused-was hoping the Vibe aero SL was the best of both worlds, but the weight did not turn out to be as advertised.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have Vibe Aero SL- I use an Enve stem so I use the Enve mount that attaches to the stem bolts.

Mancunian

by Mancunian

Well, after a couple of weeks scouring the web looking at mount options/considering the weight/thinking if I really need aero bars/looking at other stem options for the Pro Vibe Aero bars/reading user feedback...

I gave up on and went with the Superergo LTD :D

oeympe

by oeympe

If your mount is in plastic, then you could sand down the clamp a little bit... or at least it is what I have done with my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt clamp to fit it on the combo Pro Vibe Aero SL + Pro Vibe stem. It works really well.

alanyu

by alanyu

Only can be found on taobao, around 35 usd. A very good cheap choice if you can get it.
Screenshot_20200205-134757.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com