New gravel bike for 85% road

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Miles253
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

by Miles253

MattMay wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:11 pm
Miles253 wrote:Another vote for the Exploro then, I don't love the colourways on it to be honest. But that's not the end of the world.
Me neither. So I used a little auto vinyl wrap and custom decals to tweak things.

Image
That is a special build. Love the vinyl.

I've spent the last two days at a trade show in the UK and got a chance to have a closer look at a couple of bikes.

- Scott Addict Gravel | Super nice paint, light, decent clearance and good geo (expensive though)
- Rondo HVRT | Unconventional choice but really clever with the geometry switch and wheel compatibility. Nice colours too.
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

by Weenie


Js2
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

by Js2

I love the way the Exploro ride. That being said, I've had issues with mine after just 3 ride.

1. 1st ride in the difflock seatpost crapped out. The insert on the elastomer started to disintegrate and has some significant play in it causing it to creak and click. 3T sent out a warranty replacement seatpost for the time being. They said a new version of the seatpost is in the works.

2. My bottle cage boss were centered on the tube but the thread on the rivnut was angled towards the non drive side. So my bottle on the seat tube is sitting about 2-3 cm closer to the non drive side. Fail.
3. Matte Clear Coat on my LTD frame-set started peeling around the seat tube (looks like mini orange peel texture, which according to the North America head of customer service said is not a warranty issue... go figure... :roll:

Long story short, I'm returning the frame-set and getting something else. The way they responded didn't sit right with me, I can't imagine dealing with them directly if I had any issue down the road. The shop I got it from really fought for my case. For a frame-set that retails over 4000$ usd you'd expect a better quality control.

User avatar
MattMay
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:26 pm
Contact:

by MattMay


That is the best looking Exploro I've ever seen. Awesome job with the vinyl. What'd you use to cut it? Cricut, or something else?
Thx!! So the gold layer is just cut with an exacto, then I ordered some black vinyl letters from doityourselflettering.com...they have a font nearly identical to the one 3T uses...ordered various sizes, super cheap!

I have thought about buying my own cutting machine like a cricut tho, cuz I have other bikes to customize.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 779
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

MattMay wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:05 pm

That is the best looking Exploro I've ever seen. Awesome job with the vinyl. What'd you use to cut it? Cricut, or something else?
Thx!! So the gold layer is just cut with an exacto, then I ordered some black vinyl letters from doityourselflettering.com...they have a font nearly identical to the one 3T uses...ordered various sizes, super cheap!

I have thought about buying my own cutting machine like a cricut tho, cuz I have other bikes to customize.
Great job with the exacto. My wife has a Cricut she uses for projects, I borroewd it to cut some vinyl to go over the factory lettering on a couple of my bikes. Makes things a lot easier, but that in itself becomes slightly adictive. Want to customize everything now.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Scania123
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm

by Scania123

Poptart242 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 am
I was in a similar position to you - landed up ordering the Rondo HVRT CF Frameset to build up. Current bikes are a CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc and a winter build Ultimate CF SL. Both are going, to be replaced by one bike and two wheelsets, for city-living storage reasons. If you're not in a huge hurry I'll post up the build when I get it done - currently thinking of moving over the Dura Ace groupset but replacing the rear mech with a longer one with a clutch, one 650b x45mm wheelset, one deep carbon 700c wheelset.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing the result of this!

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 3935
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

Js2 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm
I love the way the Exploro ride. That being said, I've had issues with mine after just 3 ride.

1. 1st ride in the difflock seatpost crapped out. The insert on the elastomer started to disintegrate and has some significant play in it causing it to creak and click. 3T sent out a warranty replacement seatpost for the time being. They said a new version of the seatpost is in the works.

2. My bottle cage boss were centered on the tube but the thread on the rivnut was angled towards the non drive side. So my bottle on the seat tube is sitting about 2-3 cm closer to the non drive side. Fail.
3. Matte Clear Coat on my LTD frame-set started peeling around the seat tube (looks like mini orange peel texture, which according to the North America head of customer service said is not a warranty issue... go figure... :roll:

Long story short, I'm returning the frame-set and getting something else. The way they responded didn't sit right with me, I can't imagine dealing with them directly if I had any issue down the road. The shop I got it from really fought for my case. For a frame-set that retails over 4000$ usd you'd expect a better quality control.
There was a reviewer who bought the Exploro Ltd. He also had some issues with the bike and just as you, he had problems with 3T.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Js2
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

by Js2

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 am
Js2 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm
I love the way the Exploro ride. That being said, I've had issues with mine after just 3 ride.

1. 1st ride in the difflock seatpost crapped out. The insert on the elastomer started to disintegrate and has some significant play in it causing it to creak and click. 3T sent out a warranty replacement seatpost for the time being. They said a new version of the seatpost is in the works.

2. My bottle cage boss were centered on the tube but the thread on the rivnut was angled towards the non drive side. So my bottle on the seat tube is sitting about 2-3 cm closer to the non drive side. Fail.
3. Matte Clear Coat on my LTD frame-set started peeling around the seat tube (looks like mini orange peel texture, which according to the North America head of customer service said is not a warranty issue... go figure... :roll:

Long story short, I'm returning the frame-set and getting something else. The way they responded didn't sit right with me, I can't imagine dealing with them directly if I had any issue down the road. The shop I got it from really fought for my case. For a frame-set that retails over 4000$ usd you'd expect a better quality control.
There was a reviewer who bought the Exploro Ltd. He also had some issues with the bike and just as you, he had problems with 3T.
Ended up biting the bullet and ordered a Moots Routt RSL instead. Going to be my last bike for awhile!

spdntrxi
Posts: 4059
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

nice... I'm gonna find out what the moots love is all about soon, but with an old road moots compact-sl. Did you opt for the seatpost and stem was well.. I just bought a RSL Stem.. --ouch. $$$
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

Js2
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

by Js2

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 pm
nice... I'm gonna find out what the moots love is all about soon, but with an old road moots compact-sl. Did you opt for the seatpost and stem was well.. I just bought a RSL Stem.. --ouch. $$$
Oh my first one I got for a steal was off eBay, 03 Vamoots SL. Came with the RSL Ti Stem (too bad its in 0 degree) and 0 offset Ti Seatpost and still clears a 25c tire!

I didn't opt for the seatpost and stem for this one, yet.... But man the finish and quality is definitely better than any bike I've had (colnago, custom stelbel, sworks and ritchey). I've been looking on eBay for another one for quite sometime but didn't find any routt / routt rsl, and if one pops up its usually not in my size :evil:

spdntrxi
Posts: 4059
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

Js2 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:08 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 pm
nice... I'm gonna find out what the moots love is all about soon, but with an old road moots compact-sl. Did you opt for the seatpost and stem was well.. I just bought a RSL Stem.. --ouch. $$$
Oh my first one I got for a steal was off eBay, 03 Vamoots SL. Came with the RSL Ti Stem (too bad its in 0 degree) and 0 offset Ti Seatpost and still clears a 25c tire!

I didn't opt for the seatpost and stem for this one, yet.... But man the finish and quality is definitely better than any bike I've had (colnago, custom stelbel, sworks and ritchey). I've been looking on eBay for another one for quite sometime but didn't find any routt / routt rsl, and if one pops up its usually not in my size :evil:
Wanted a Vamoots SL, but with my short legs compact-sl is a better choice. Found a custom 06 46cm st with a 54cm toptube on craiglist of all places. Picked up a RSL stem 100/-6. Frame came with a moots seatpost so I was good there. Routt sound like a good bike. I have a Parlee ZeroXD for my gravel fix...but a Routt45 appeals to me.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

gwerziou
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm
Location: Ballard, WA

by gwerziou

singletracknick wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:57 am
ultimobici wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:21 am
TheRich wrote:85% road sounds like CX bike territory.
If it has proper cross geometry, that is a recipe for misery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd dsagree with this although would depend on your cx bike and it's build.

Most modern cx bikes have a BB drop around 70 which overlaps with many gravel bikes. Most brands have moved away from the circa 60mm BB drops which I agree might be a bit more of a handfull at speed. I ride a crux which I really rate for gravel.
I agree with above. The numbers for most american company's cross bikes fall within the range of many gravel bikes, albeit with more tire size limitations.
• Scott Addict CX 10
• Old broken CX bike in the basement
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

kode54
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

I was considering a Moots Routt 45 for the fatter tires.

Did you get the regular Routt or the Routt 45?

I've been riding my Moots RSL Disc with 30mm G-One Speed tires for awhile now. They barely fit and was curious about running Panaracer Gravel King tires. Won't fit...so I need to investigate something with a little more tire clearance.
Js2 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:29 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 am
Js2 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm
I love the way the Exploro ride. That being said, I've had issues with mine after just 3 ride.

1. 1st ride in the difflock seatpost crapped out. The insert on the elastomer started to disintegrate and has some significant play in it causing it to creak and click. 3T sent out a warranty replacement seatpost for the time being. They said a new version of the seatpost is in the works.

2. My bottle cage boss were centered on the tube but the thread on the rivnut was angled towards the non drive side. So my bottle on the seat tube is sitting about 2-3 cm closer to the non drive side. Fail.
3. Matte Clear Coat on my LTD frame-set started peeling around the seat tube (looks like mini orange peel texture, which according to the North America head of customer service said is not a warranty issue... go figure... :roll:

Long story short, I'm returning the frame-set and getting something else. The way they responded didn't sit right with me, I can't imagine dealing with them directly if I had any issue down the road. The shop I got it from really fought for my case. For a frame-set that retails over 4000$ usd you'd expect a better quality control.
There was a reviewer who bought the Exploro Ltd. He also had some issues with the bike and just as you, he had problems with 3T.
Ended up biting the bullet and ordered a Moots Routt RSL instead. Going to be my last bike for awhile!
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

Js2
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

by Js2

kode54 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I was considering a Moots Routt 45 for the fatter tires.

Did you get the regular Routt or the Routt 45?

I've been riding my Moots RSL Disc with 30mm G-One Speed tires for awhile now. They barely fit and was curious about running Panaracer Gravel King tires. Won't fit...so I need to investigate something with a little more tire clearance.
Js2 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:29 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 am
Js2 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 pm
I love the way the Exploro ride. That being said, I've had issues with mine after just 3 ride.

1. 1st ride in the difflock seatpost crapped out. The insert on the elastomer started to disintegrate and has some significant play in it causing it to creak and click. 3T sent out a warranty replacement seatpost for the time being. They said a new version of the seatpost is in the works.

2. My bottle cage boss were centered on the tube but the thread on the rivnut was angled towards the non drive side. So my bottle on the seat tube is sitting about 2-3 cm closer to the non drive side. Fail.
3. Matte Clear Coat on my LTD frame-set started peeling around the seat tube (looks like mini orange peel texture, which according to the North America head of customer service said is not a warranty issue... go figure... :roll:

Long story short, I'm returning the frame-set and getting something else. The way they responded didn't sit right with me, I can't imagine dealing with them directly if I had any issue down the road. The shop I got it from really fought for my case. For a frame-set that retails over 4000$ usd you'd expect a better quality control.
There was a reviewer who bought the Exploro Ltd. He also had some issues with the bike and just as you, he had problems with 3T.
Ended up biting the bullet and ordered a Moots Routt RSL instead. Going to be my last bike for awhile!
I went for the regular Routt RSL. Thought about the Routt 45 too, but the geo is too upright my liking, and the longer chain stay 437. I saw a custom build somewhere with a routt rsl front and a routt 45 rear triangle, but that would definitely be custom geo. I think the folks at moots have their geo pretty dialed in and a little bit higher on gravel might not be a bad thing.

The 52 Routt RSL is within the ballpark of Medium 3T exploro, slightly longer chain stay 430 vs 415 cs and stack is 567 vs 546. So instead of paying extra to tweak the geo, I'm going with the stock 52 geo. Makes it easier to sell too should I need to in the future.

At least it wont have small ring restrictions like the Exploro with its dropped chainstay. I am running it 2x with grx 47/32 (easton rings) and 11-34 in the back.
I am actually thinking of a 650b setup for this bike too down the line, but for now I will settle for 700c with the Gravel King slicks in 32c for the belgian waffle ride later this year.
Tire clearance is not as generous on the back in the 650b setup, based on my research it maxes out around 42 for 650b. I think the one that have similar clearance to exploro is the routt 45 (aka 45mm clearance)

spdntrxi
Posts: 4059
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

Js2 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm


I went for the regular Routt RSL. Thought about the Routt 45 too, but the geo is too upright my liking, and the longer chain stay 437. I saw a custom build somewhere with a routt rsl front and a routt 45 rear triangle, but that would definitely be custom geo. I think the folks at moots have their geo pretty dialed in and a little bit higher on gravel might not be a bad thing.


I saw that as well... that's what I would have to do to be ultimately happy
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

by Weenie


LeMomo
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

by LeMomo

I must say it's reassuring to see so many recommendations for the Exploro on this thread as mine turned up on Wednesday. I'd originally ordered an Aspero but the wait time meant that it wouldn't be here in time for my first event this year.

Post Reply