Berk Lupina re-glue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hi guys,
As per title on one of my Lupinas where the rail is glued to the rear underside of the saddle the glue has let go. I restuck it with Sika urethane and it worked a treat for a few months. Just discovered it has let go again, any suggestions? I have reached out to Jure but as yet no reply (only sent the email 2 days ago) I’m in Australia so it’s a long trip to and fro Slovenia, so if I can repair here much better.....
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

numberSix

by numberSix

Composites built with epoxy resin are best repaired with epoxy.

Your first challenge will be removing that urethane glue. Then properly roughing up the surfaces so no gloss remains. Ideally you want almost fabric to fabric contact, so check your progress carefully. Then a final degrease with solvent.

JB Weld or any medium speed epoxy (i.e. not the 5-minute stuff) will work. Common mistakes include not getting the two part quantities the same, not mixing thoroughly, and (very important) let the mixed components'rest' about a minute before application.

Have your clamping strategy worked out and tested before mixing the epoxy.

Wookski

by Wookski

beanbiken wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 am
Hi guys,
As per title on one of my Lupinas where the rail is glued to the rear underside of the saddle the glue has let go. I restuck it with Sika urethane and it worked a treat for a few months. Just discovered it has let go again, any suggestions? I have reached out to Jure but as yet no reply (only sent the email 2 days ago) I’m in Australia so it’s a long trip to and fro Slovenia, so if I can repair here much better.....
I have broken a few Berk saddles and have always received a replacement without having to send the old saddle back. Just contact them with pictures- there was a batch of saddles that suffered from this issue.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Thanks guys, changed my email address and account was deactivated, all good now.
Ok, new saddle? Nice but in the meantime brought the JB Weld and followed #6’s recommendations and will let it set/harden for now. Hopefully this will rectify my problem but of course there a 2more adhesive points that may fail. Thanks again :thumbup:
BB

Coffee & carbon

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mine has been working with JB weld for 6+ months... and it's on my gravel bike so it's getting abused.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

beanbiken

by beanbiken

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 am
mine has been working with JB weld for 6+ months... and it's on my gravel bike so it's getting abused.
:thumbup:
BB

Coffee & carbon

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

beanbiken wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:42 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 am
:thumbup:
be generous with the JB weld.. first time I did it, I tried to be all stealthy about it..... it was not enough. Second time it put alot and let it harden in ideal temps for along time. its ugly but who sees it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

RyanH

by RyanH

Or get an mcfk saddle that doesn't need to demonstrate how easy its replacement process is.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

RyanH wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:19 am
Or get an mcfk saddle that doesn't need to demonstrate how easy its replacement process is.
Yep have one of those also and it is now on my Focus while I get this all sorted
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com