Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teebs

by teebs

tarkus wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:29 pm
have you weight it already?
which botte cages? :) i need details ;)

Gesendet von meinem LM-Q610.FGN mit Tapatalk
No, it's not being weighed as of yet

Vel-O carbon cage
40cm stock carbon bars
50/34 11-28 Ultegra di2
Soon to be fitted P2M
Selle-Italia SLR Boost
Look Keo Blade Ceramic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorryt

by jorryt

Looks nice! Is it a 55 or 53cm frame?

teebs

by teebs

jorryt wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:43 pm
Looks nice! Is it a 55 or 53cm frame?
55cm

Stendhal

by Stendhal

tarkus wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:29 pm
have you weight it already?
which botte cages? :) i need details ;)

Gesendet von meinem LM-Q610.FGN mit Tapatalk
Very nice, I am considering that fork pattern (Titanium).
I appreciate your selection of the red and the black color scheme to honor my pen name :)
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Visqu

by Visqu

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 am
I stand corrected on the set of 32mm clearance spec road bikes. There's at least one important addition: the Venge, per two review sites (not independently confirmed). Very interesting!
About the Canyon's tire clearance, I have a 2017 Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc and the GF has the women's Ultimate my2019.

They easily clear a 32mm tire.
Here's a Panaracer Gravelking 32mm on a 22mm inner width rim on the wmns Ultimate:

Tire actual width ~33mm

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Visqu wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 pm
Stendhal wrote:
I stand corrected on the set of 32mm clearance spec road bikes. There's at least one important addition: the Venge, per two review sites (not independently confirmed). Very interesting!
About the Canyon's tire clearance, I have a 2017 Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc and the GF has the women's Ultimate my2019.

They easily clear a 32mm tire.
Here's a Panaracer Gravelking 32mm on a 22mm inner width rim on the wmns Ultimate:

Tire actual width ~33mm
Very helpful -- including because the Panaracer 32's claimed weight is 290 g, 5 g less than the new Continental 5000 32 mm
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

sib

by sib

@teebs - looks great!

@stendahl - thanks for the list of tire clearances; it's extremely useful!

perrierperrier

by perrierperrier

Stendhal wrote:

Cycling Weekly claimed that their Foil test bike 28mms with actual width = 30mm fit, and that it appeared that anything up to 35 mm might fit

Per quick Internet research, here other tire clearances. Some are based on manufactuer official claimed numbers. Of course actual measured widths are the better metric than the ERTO spec number, and actual widths can vary depending on the rims -- my list here does not purport to be precise in the real world.

Propel -- 28mm
TCR -- 28 mm, there's a colloquy on this on this site...even the industry wide leader Continental 4000 fit at size 28 mm
Teammachine and Timemachine -- 28 mm
Aeroad -- two sites claimed 28 mm and some 30 mms will fit
R5 -- Cervelo says up to measured 30mm width
S5 -- per a site, "Cervelo claims the S5 will swallow 30mm tires with ease, while the S3 has been optimised for 28mm tires."
Madone -- per Velo News, "Officially, you’ll be able to fit 28mm rubber in there, but there’s plenty of clearance to run a larger tire. 30mm for sure; 32mm is a possibility"
Emonda -- posters on this site already figured this out, 28 mm
SystemSix -- Bicycling mag reports: "Cannondale designed this bike with 26mm tires in mind and claims the bike can officially accept 28mm models. Unofficially, it also fits some 30mm tires."
SuperSix -- 30 mm. I'm sure Damon Rinard knows the exact details and can explain if needed :thumbup:
Dogma F12 -- per Pinarello as quoted by Bike Rumor, "...the Dogma F12 and F12 Disk are designed to accommodate 28mm tire clearance. In reality the tire clearance is 37.5mm, however we have included consideration for the ISO 4210 norm, which specifies 4mm space between the tire and frame. Analyzing several tire and rim combinations we have given a declared value of 28m. In reality a declared 28mm tire can have a real width of 29.5mm. That’s the reason why the frame has been designed with 37.5mm clearance. This allowed the F12 frame to be compatible with all the most aerodynamic wheels that has a 30mm width.”
C64 -- true clearance on rim = 36.5 mm = fits most 28 mm tires; Colnago said a bit more on the disc
Helium -- 28 mm official
Noah -- Canadian Cycling site opined it looked like up to 30 mm actual could fit based on 25 mm on test bike
Gallium and Nitrogen -- 28 mm
Xelius -- 28 mm (can't figure out the Aircode)
Scultura disc -- 25 mm per road.cc, but Bahrain-Merida site says 28 mm
Reacto -- 28 mm
Alfa disc -- 30 mm

Would 28mm have been almost unanimous 5 years ago? The majority, as recently as 3 years ago? Interesting.
I fit 33mm Vittoria Terreno CX tires on my 2020 Supersix. And run 32mm Conti GPs on the road.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Has anyone put some miles on an OMX yet? Am considering trading in my Factor o2 disc, which I find fine but a little bit "meh", for an OMX. Seems like most online reviews seem to say its a fine bike but nothing specially diferentiable....

Stendhal

by Stendhal

perrierperrier wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:43 pm
Stendhal wrote:

Would 28mm have been almost unanimous 5 years ago? The majority, as recently as 3 years ago? Interesting.
I fit 33mm Vittoria Terreno CX tires on my 2020 Supersix. And run 32mm Conti GPs on the road.
Thank you! :thumbup: This puts the SuperSix in the eligible for consideration category for me, and that's a good thing. Any bike with which Damon Rinard is associated deserves a serious look. Also, my first true high quality road bike was an early Cannondale big tube aluminum (pre-CAAD designation), and it was a rocket. How times have changed: in that pre-Internet, per-weight weenie age, I thought it was superlight, but when I checked the catalog years later it was 21 lbs!

Your post is doubly helpful because, in order to test whether 32mm tires would make a difference to me on a pure road bike used for climbing, I've installed the 32 Contis on my Cervelo Aspero gravel-ish bike

shakydrums

by shakydrums

calleking wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 pm
Btw, what was the verdict on the Orca Aero Disc in terms of comfort and weight? A bit stiff and somewhat heavy vs the competition even when it was launched?
I came from a Pro Disc TCR (2017). Have the 2020 orca aero disc.

Size 55cm, no pedals or cages and the orca aero disc was right around 17.6lbs -- with Enve AR 4.5s.

Pretty close to the TCR (size 56) in weight; honestly can't remember the TCR weight specifically but I think it was right around 17lbs with a similar config.

the orca aero is stiffer for sure, but riding tubeless, the orca aero disc is pretty much as comfy as the TCR was to my sit bones.

So personally, I'm 180lbs and don't mind the extra weight -- I do enjoy climbing but I'm fine with knowing I'll just never be that fast at it :)

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Good things happen when you buy from an employee-owned company. My Orca OMX frameset, MyO custom painted, arrived one month ahead of schedule despite Orbea being shut down for a while due to covid-19. It's still in the box, pictures and weight to follow.

The bad news -- or good, from the perspective of LBSes who finally are having good economic times, good for them -- is that the earliest build date is June 12.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Stendhal wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:09 pm
Good things happen when you buy from an employee-owned company. My Orca OMX frameset, MyO custom painted, arrived one month ahead of schedule despite Orbea being shut down for a while due to covid-19. It's still in the box, pictures and weight to follow.

The bad news -- or good, from the perspective of LBSes who finally are having good economic times, good for them -- is that the earliest build date is June 12.
IMG_1104.jpeg
IMG_1105.jpeg
IMG_1106.jpeg

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Love it!

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:27 am
Stendhal wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:09 pm

IMG_1104.jpegIMG_1105.jpegIMG_1106.jpeg
OK, here are actual weights for the elements from Orbea. There are some far higher than published numbers (admittedly, all published #s I have seen are second hand). In the end, though, that is good news.

Size 55 frame -- .98 kg (using Park scale that only goes to two decimals). Includes bolts and derailleur hanger, not the seatpost bolt or Di2 port cover (extra 3 g). Most common "published" weight is 833g for one size down (53). Looking at the frame, I am not surprised. The chainstays are HUGE. They look almost as big as the Deda Temerario. I am very happy with that...a similar but less extreme feature was the highlight of the Willier Cento1 SL I used to ride. I'll pay weight for power transfer almost any day.

Fork = .38 kg uncut vs. "published" 370g. I think it'll end up at 370g.

Stem = 215g size 110mm vs. "published" 160g size 100mm -- a massive difference. The stem is used to hide the cables so it's an integral part of the design. If you wanted to cut weight there's 100g low hanging fruit here. Horefully the weight will add stiffness.

Seatpost + seat clamp = 235g vs. "published" 216g. Much of this is the clamp, 64g (Orbea includes a 0 offset and a 25mm offset so I weighed the one not attached).

Seapost bolt (I think these are the right parts) = 26g

Acros headset including top cover = 77 g

Expander plug = 32g (I suppose you could weight weenie -20g here)

(I think) big aero spacer above the headset plus one row of spacers = 27g (they are all light)

Orbea thru axles = 73g

Here's why this is good news. I am trying to estimate the final build weight using 3 methods: (1) adding up every component, where I weigh them as they come in PLUS adding an error term when I tried this on my prior build; (2) comparing to a published total weight for a stock Di2 build in the same size (which involved swapping out components that are different on my build); and (3) comparing to the actual weight of my Cervelo Aspero (there are some parts in common, the rest I swap out). The only parts I have not yet weighed are (1) the wheels (November 36mm rim arriving Friday); (2) the tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 size 32 sitting in lockdown in my office); (3) the chain, a YBN that comes in next week; and (4) lockrings (arriving Friday).

Using the "published" weights of the Orbea parts, (1) and (3) were far lower than (2). The good news is that with the actual weights above, the three methods now have converged to within 47 grams. Assuming the remaining components come in at spec weight, the total bike, without a cage (Supacaz 18g oil slick coming next week), probably with the mount (Stages adapter to the integrated mount with the Orbea), will be about 7286g = 16.06 lbs. That's more than light enough considering it's a disc brake bike with size 32 tires, not engineered or represented to be a super light bike. We'll see.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com