New gravel bike for 85% road

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cerro

by cerro

Specialized Roubaix :D or Cannondale Synapse. both takes 35mm tires which is fine for so little gravel :)

Miles253

by Miles253

nickf wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:41 pm
No 650 for the checkpoint or domane. Domane is limited to a 38c. Checkpoint can fit a 45c**depending on the tire/rim combo**
Oh well 45c will be more than enough!

38 on the Domane would work for the less gnarly off-road affairs anyway!

Anyone rate Rondo?
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Poptart242

by Poptart242

I was in a similar position to you - landed up ordering the Rondo HVRT CF Frameset to build up. Current bikes are a CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc and a winter build Ultimate CF SL. Both are going, to be replaced by one bike and two wheelsets, for city-living storage reasons. If you're not in a huge hurry I'll post up the build when I get it done - currently thinking of moving over the Dura Ace groupset but replacing the rear mech with a longer one with a clutch, one 650b x45mm wheelset, one deep carbon 700c wheelset.

Miles253

by Miles253

Poptart242 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 am
I was in a similar position to you - landed up ordering the Rondo HVRT CF Frameset to build up. Current bikes are a CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc and a winter build Ultimate CF SL. Both are going, to be replaced by one bike and two wheelsets, for city-living storage reasons. If you're not in a huge hurry I'll post up the build when I get it done - currently thinking of moving over the Dura Ace groupset but replacing the rear mech with a longer one with a clutch, one 650b x45mm wheelset, one deep carbon 700c wheelset.
Sounds like exactly what I want to achieve. I'm in no huge hurry, I need to wait for insurance to pay up anyway. Versatility is key for me, I would love to be able to do everything on it so I can just have the two bikes. Let me know when you post your build and I'll check it out.

I've got a little list going if of interest to anyone. Happy to cross some off too...

Rose Backroad
Canyon Endurace
Standert Pfadfinder
Rondo HVRT
BMC Road Machine
Specialized Divege
Specialized Roubaix
Ribble CGR
Trek checkpoint
Focus Paralane
Cannondale Super x
Cannondale Synapse
Open UP

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Miles253 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:09 pm
Poptart242 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 am
Sounds like exactly what I want to achieve. I'm in no huge hurry, I need to wait for insurance to pay up anyway. Versatility is key for me, I would love to be able to do everything on it so I can just have the two bikes. Let me know when you post your build and I'll check it out.

I've got a little list going if of interest to anyone. Happy to cross some off too...

Rose Backroad
Canyon Endurace
Standert Pfadfinder
Rondo HVRT
BMC Road Machine
Specialized Divege
Specialized Roubaix
Ribble CGR
Trek checkpoint
Focus Paralane
Cannondale Super x
Cannondale Synapse
Open UP
I think you're shorting the list by not include the Aspero. I've done everything from fast road rides to medium-technical single track on it. It really is a do everything (except bikepacking) bike.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

AZR3

by AZR3

I bought an Exploro and I have no regets using it for a multipurpose bike. I have an Evo also but it hasnt been used much at all in the two years ive owned the Exploro.
Here is my gravel 650b setup

and in road mode with LightBicycle 56mm deep 30mm wide road wheels

llmonty

by llmonty

Good choices here. My 85% road 15% gravel, really my >50% road bike is a Canyon Endurace. It can fit a 35 Gravel King SK, is light and has a Tarmac-esque (or Ultimate) geometry, albeit with a shorter front center. Some wheel flop and toe overlap, but was light years better than my gen 1 Spec Diverge. I think the Domane and Allied All Road are the closest analogs, though more expensive (and each has their own +/-s). A Santa Cruz Stigmata or Cervelo Aspero or Exploro or Up would be one step further towards gravel but still in your ballpark.

I ended up with a 2 bike solution, recently adding a Felt Breed for a 650b fast, nimble all-gravel bike for rides that are 80%+ off-road. Arguably I could have accomplished nearly the same thing with the Stiggy or the Aspero or an Exploro or Up. However, I really wanted a lightish, stiffish, road bike for long rides, steep climbs, and some gravel first. Then I got interested in all gravel and was curious to try 650b. My total cost for the 2 bikes was about the same (or less) as 1 of these other bikes.

Miles253

by Miles253

llmonty wrote:Good choices here. My 85% road 15% gravel, really my >50% road bike is a Canyon Endurace. It can fit a 35 Gravel King SK, is light and has a Tarmac-esque (or Ultimate) geometry, albeit with a shorter front center. Some wheel flop and toe overlap, but was light years better than my gen 1 Spec Diverge. I think the Domane and Allied All Road are the closest analogs, though more expensive (and each has their own +/-s). A Santa Cruz Stigmata or Cervelo Aspero or Exploro or Up would be one step further towards gravel but still in your ballpark.

I ended up with a 2 bike solution, recently adding a Felt Breed for a 650b fast, nimble all-gravel bike for rides that are 80%+ off-road. Arguably I could have accomplished nearly the same thing with the Stiggy or the Aspero or an Exploro or Up. However, I really wanted a lightish, stiffish, road bike for long rides, steep climbs, and some gravel first. Then I got interested in all gravel and was curious to try 650b. My total cost for the 2 bikes was about the same (or less) as 1 of these other bikes.
Sounds like I ought to add the Aspero to my list. The 3t above is nice too Image

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

AZR3

by AZR3

If I didn't have my Exploro I'd be looking at the Aspero very hard, the geo and colors they offer are great.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TheRich wrote:85% road sounds like CX bike territory.
If it has proper cross geometry, that is a recipe for misery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:21 am
I'll second this. I wouldn't go as far as to say "misery", but having used my Trek Crockett on gravel and road, it's great at being nimble expecially at low speed and tight turns on trails, but the higher center of gravity feels sketchy to me when you start getting to the high 20's to 30mph range, especially when hitting loose patches of gravel/dirt.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

IrrelevantD wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
I'll second this. I wouldn't go as far as to say "misery", but having used my Trek Crockett on gravel and road, it's great at being nimble expecially at low speed and tight turns on trails, but the higher center of gravity feels sketchy to me when you start getting to the high 20's to 30mph range, especially when hitting loose patches of gravel/dirt.
A Crockett has very mild geometry compared to most cross frames. Its bb height at 70mm is more akin to a crit bike rather than the likes of Ridley which are typically around 60mm.

Miles253

by Miles253

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:24 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
A Crockett has very mild geometry compared to most cross frames. Its bb height at 70mm is more akin to a crit bike rather than the likes of Ridley which are typically around 60mm.

Presumably they are built a little more agressive at the front too? I would like to be able to do long off-road days on this thing...

crlincoln

by crlincoln

AZR3 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 pm
I bought an Exploro and I have no regets using it for a multipurpose bike. I have an Evo also but it hasnt been used much at all in the two years ive owned the Exploro.
Here is my gravel 650b setup

and in road mode with LightBicycle 56mm deep 30mm wide road wheels
I've got an exploro about 3 months ago as a Gravel and all weather hack... running 650b or 700c and absolute love it, the bike has really really surprised me in it's versitility.... it's also questioned whether I could even switch my aero bike to a 1x

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwerziou

by gwerziou

The Chapter2 AO looks pretty nice, and can take 650b and 700c.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible