2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I have a problem with Bjarne Riis managing again, not because he doped when he was a rider but because as a team manager, he was pressuring his riders to dope, almost forcing them. IMO, he's no better than Johan Bruyneel who is now banned for life.

There were a lot of whispers in the women's peloton this past year about Marta Bastianelli's success. She's an ex-doper herself but in 2019 she starts riding for Bjarne's team and she suddenly starts winning a lot of big races. It doesn' mean she started doping again, I think Bjarne wasn't involved closely with the team management but a lot of pros were understandably quite skeptical about her sudden rise of success rate because of her past and because of Bjarne's shadow.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

osw000 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:41 pm

Do you mean that if they drop you is because they still have the magic beans effect inside not because they have a better engine?

I wasn’t implying that. Anyone who makes the WT has natural physical/genetic talents. The important thing is he’s a personable human being right now. Riis might not be comparable if he’s really been pressuring his athletes/trainees to use PEDs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:56 am
Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:00 pm

The UCI never show up to check bikes setup for off-season team launches and marketing photo shoots. :mrgreen:
He does race with the saddle slammed forward like that. Doing some pixel peeping/measuring, it looks like the nose-BB distance is ~47mm. 3mm short of the UCI rule. It's possible they've deemed this close enough or he has one of those "morphological exceptions."
That. Again, all you need to do now to get the morphological exemption is ask for one. It's there to be used for any rider that wants to.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

So... Rohan Dennis finished 2nd behind Turbo Durbo once again this year and the Australian National TT Championship. Just last year, it was this same situation that first showed us his feelings toward not being on the BMC. I wonder how he's feeling about the Pinarello.

petal666

by petal666

It's an Olympic year, people priorities shift.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

No shame in losing to Durbidge’s 430W.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm
Except when you're doing 435w and wondering why you're 2nd.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I doubt Rohan was trying to peak in January, especially in an Olympic year.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:18 pm
Yea... he said that. But when you're wearing the rainbow stripes and then you get beat for your national stripes, a 2nd time, I still think it stings.

gwilson

by gwilson

Dan Gerous wrote:
Agreed, plus he'd never get a chance to wear the Aussie colours as national champ, and Durbridge is his brother in law. Not saying he gifted it to him, but he probably rode it more to see where his fitness is before getting to his peak later in the season

DOUG

by DOUG

Durbo is legit though, I doubt he gifted it to him. But Giro + Olympics + World Champs means its unlikely hes goinmg to be anywhere near peak fitness in Jan.

Pierre86

by Pierre86

gwilson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:32 am
Dan Gerous wrote:
Agreed, plus he'd never get a chance to wear the Aussie colours as national champ, and Durbridge is his brother in law. Not saying he gifted it to him, but he probably rode it more to see where his fitness is before getting to his peak later in the season
He's definitely not, you're thinking of another Aussie rider who was last year's Nat Champ.
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm
Except when you're doing 435w and wondering why you're 2nd.
They're both doing more than that
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

petal666

by petal666

Pierre86 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 am

They're both doing more than that
Strava says 420W for Durbo.

allepunta

by allepunta

flying wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:00 am
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am
No idea about what? He should get a pass like the rest of the ex-dopers in cycling.
:lol: :lol: I had no idea he was still around or "involved" at all.

Yeah for myself makes no difference....I lost my rose colored glasses back when Pedro Delgado tested
positive for probenecid, during the 1988 tour :wink:
As far as I know, Delgado never tested positive in that tour. Probenecid was not in UCI's prohibited substance list, it was in COI's though. That changed few moths later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

allepunta wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 pm
flying wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:00 am
Yeah for myself makes no difference....I lost my rose colored glasses back when Pedro Delgado tested
positive for probenecid, during the 1988 tour :wink:
As far as I know, Delgado never tested positive in that tour. Probenecid was not in UCI's prohibited substance list, it was in COI's though. That changed few moths later.
Yes ....
He did test positive for Probenecid & they released that statement....But......

It was only on the IOC ban list not the UCI ban list so they could do nothing about it.

Never the less as I said it was my first real loss of rose colored glasses :wink: